8KX is Pentile? How to cancel pledge?

VR should never be played below 90 FPS/Hz ideally. I don’t even consider anything below that as a VR experience.

The whole concept of the 8K X was to use native resolution on the panel from the 8K, which was claimed to be full 4K RGB but unable to resolve it due to scaling. What we’re seeing now is therefore a downgrade on both models.

Ok, but the 5K got a new panel, assumed because it came out late during development. So still hope for the 8K-X to get the 4K version of it?

That would be the 5K+. As I recall, Pimax indicated they’d still be selling 5K, but backers were upgraded to 5K+. We don’t know much about the panel of the 5K; it was stated the 5K+ has 9% higher PPI. I expect they have deals or stock of the not quite as good panels. There has been no indication the 8K or 8K X would receive any upgrades as yet.

Please, could you develop the subject ? What are the technologies you are telling ?

1 Like

If your 8K pledge still not sold then I am interested to buy your kickstarter account @Zybane , We can deal via PayPal or Transferwise service. Let me know at my email rhigonekar@gmail.com if you are really want to sell it so we can discuss about Payments. Thanks

i’ve tried to find that in the kickstarter as “hard fact” in the description or the faq for this kickstarter but not found “rgb”, and even if there is rgb, one could argue there are red, green, and blue pixels on the display and the word “full” was never used, maybe they where avoiding it in the official phrasing on purpose, they promised 16.6 mil pixel and depending how you might count subpixel into pixel …
any evidence they could be nailed for a 2x4k full rgb?

The full RGB was just backers speculation including myself because LCDs were confirmed and for those full RGB is rather the norm for HQ panels.
For the CLPL panel that got produced specifically for VR I can understand they tried to do a diamond arrangement with the sub pixels as it is more forgiving in small horizontal lines rotation. It didn’t look to me like that one has lesser resolution in blue and red, just smaller ones compared to a bigger green sub pixel in combo making good white pixels…
Unless such a panel is natively driven it is impossible to tell about the quality, simply because a scaler that would work on either color channel separately will make more details possible on a luminance level but also generate colored gradients… we just have to wait for what they can do for the X with those panels…

So guys , is the 8K X still being developed ? When is the timeframe ? This is really the only headset I am interested in the future if it works .

3 Likes

@Zybane
I understand your point but aren’t you a bit idealistic here? Of course we all want virtual reality to look, well actually like reality.

But the tech is not at this point.

Also, of course it would be nice to have a headset with the best possible technology available at the moment. But would that be affordable? I couldn’t buy it… And for 400$ getting something like the pimax 5k+… this is just awesome… Even for the 8k 500$ was a really good price we backers paid…

No, If you are a backer you most likely made a super deal. If you can afford it you can buy the starvr. But I think that’s all there is at the moment.
Even when you have the money, sticking to your pledge is still the fastest way to get the best headset available.

Perhaps things change next year, but for now…

afaik it will, its part of the initial kickstarter and has not been called off (was just limited to ~400 units as its more experimental and unclear when it will be possible to be usable by just one gpu as sli is not much supported in vr)

i cant remember where i got it but afair its not before q2/2019 to be delivered and if pimax is trying to use the new anx7539 and new displays it might be even later in 2019

Am I wrong that Pimax confirmed several times that the 8K will be using RGB?

oh , without 2 cards doesn’t sound very promising though . On the NVIDIA site , it talks about VRWorks - VR SLI so looks like is doable or am i wrong ?

they did, but reading the kickstarter areas relevant for contract like project description and faq i could not find the word RGB or “full RGB”, here and there people mentioned “rainbow rgb” that could meaning pentile like reduction of subpixels so using rgb does not mean “full rgb”, if you keep by the word rgb just tells you there are red green and blue pixels on the panel, it does not state the amount, size or proportion in numbers to each other

there seem to be some “not conclusive” subpixel counts and pattern calculations indicating that the 8k panel might not have “full rgb” and therefore its not even possible to look as good as people hope and still hoping and some people more or less hope for a magic trick that will get it to shine and deliver significant more then the 5k+

as long as we don’t have a good macro shot of the 8k panel there will be discussions about that (and a lot of - some entertaining - calculations trying to proof one point or the other)

sli in vr has to be supported by the game itself, its not a build in feature of steamvr that all games using, so only a very small amount of games would use the 2nd card, most would just run in one card
the most interesting news lately was that starvr was supporting steamvr and they told at IFA in berlin that they are working with nvidia on a mode where 2 cards are used, one for each eye (display in the hmd) but they can’t talk about it in detail because of nda, assumption was that its something new with the rtx cards (nda still in place at this time)
but even if, that could just mean that its supported in there own vr framework they are developing (and that is used for things like vr arcade stuff), if such mode is possible with steamvr for every vr game is unclear (if so it would be great news), the fact that the rtx cards started and nvidia is not running around announcing such great news (that can sell the double amount of cards) might indicate that there is no such thing usable with steamvr → no good news for “broader” 2x4k@90hz hmd usage (world wide 400 hmd’s are to expect from pimax, thats what was sold on kickstarter)

What about 180 or 360 movies ? Do they have to have built in support/drivers for two cards or can they run as is ?

edit :

Oh I guess you are saying no on the movies here as well then .

You don’t even need a macro shot of the 8K. Just the regular zoomed shots show how terrible it is versus even the 5K+, which has less than half the pixels.

maybe i don’t need that for my own decision 8k/5k+ but some other seem to need that

Do you know of a single 4K panel that’s full rgb, can run at 90 hz and has low persistence?

as a vr movie player is a software as a game it could support that but i guess thats not needed as the gpu power for movies should be far less then for games, but thats just speculation
i’d guess most people have more in mind then movies when buying such expensive vr equipment

just don’t expect too much from a 8kx, don’t count sli a proofed solution for it,its not very likely atm that a single 2080ti will be ok for vr gaming 2x4k@90hz, maybe simple games and movies? who knows

it might be possible to “emulate” it by using SS settings in that area on a current headset