8KX is Pentile? How to cancel pledge?

Pentile is better for making the screen door effect less noticeable. Thats why all the OG headsets use pentile, they would be almost unusable if they used the same pattern the 5k+ uses. Granted with a 4k screen it may not be that noticeable now.

Why would a backer sell their pledge because of concerns over a specification that hasn’t been confirmed?

And even if it was confirmed, the 5K+/8K is still the best headset in the world for the price.

Seems a strange reason to get all upset about.

Hmmm…:wink:

5 Likes

Exactly opposite I’m afraid. Sony psvr uses RGB Vs pentile in Vive/oculus and has better sde despite a lower resolution. Pentile does nothing good for vr

4 Likes

No it doesn’t. OLED pixels are faster turning on and off than plasma cells and even CRT phosphorus. OLED has virtually ZERO smearing and has pixel speeds measured in a fraction of a millisecond. Or about 0.1 ms pixel transition speed.

No way, pentile is not used for image quality improvements. It is SOLELY used because it is cheaper. And it is garbage. I’ll never buy a pentile VR device.

so you are about to “downgrade” to 5k+ then?

imho it depends on the situation, for the 8kx - no way
for the 1440p of the 8k/5k+ situation the bets are open, it still seems to be a option for a lot of people and i can still hear the mantra of the testers that both units are ok but with different pro/con

I don’t fully understand pentil… WIth a normal RGB it seems that each pixel has the full RGB subpixels within it. But with pentile or with 8K (I dont know if it’s pentile but it seems something weird) it’s like not RGB within each pixel but some weird thing where you have to share colours with another pixel… ? all gets confusing to me!

So have you sold your pledge?

That is exactly what it is. It shares sub-pixels with other pixels, so you are essentially throwing away data your GPU worked hard to produce. It makes images blurry and effectively lowers the perceived resolution. Pentile is TERRIBLE.

1 Like

No not yet. Still figuring out how to do it.

I recommend you to sell your pledge and stop bashing pimax and move on.

3 Likes

Not “bashing” Pimax. They did a good thing with the 5K+ and upgrading them to RGB stripe LCD panels (a real resolution). I just wish they were more forthcoming with the 8K headset 4K panels being pentile (fake resolution).

Basically all 8K/8KX backers are forced to go with 5K+ as it is superior, making a 8K kickstarter not really a 8K kickstarter.

1 Like

Sell it please, you will make a profit and then have no reason whatsoever to complain.

Thank you.

4 Likes

I hope you manage to sell it. Get the 5K+ if you can’t wait as that will no doubt be the no1 Pimax unit at retail beating all other headsets on the market for its price. Oculus are not doing anything in this space yet and HTC still have the Vive Pro to sell. If HTC bring out a new unit the Pro will drop to the Vive price and the new unit will cost $$$$.

The 8K so far has been and will be a thorn in Pimax side until they do something extra to it but we have to believe that Pimax did not choose its panel lightly, they ARE aiming for an affordable and maximum experience above all others so have faith they can pull through in the future somehow. I mean Native Oculus support was out the blue and so was the 5K+ so they are not sitting idle.

I just noticed you are talking about the 8K-X. My bad. That experimental unit is not even built yet so how do you know what panel it will have? I imagine there is good reason it is a 2019 HMD as more panels and the updated bridge chip will be available by then.

Ya I had the Vive Pro, it was crap. Especially for the price. Imagine an 800 HMD using pentile AND low resolution! It was terrible.

Originally the 8K-X was pitched as having the same panel, just with two displayport cables and inputs for native resolution. I haven’t heard anything different about a new panel for the 8K-X.

1 Like

I have the Vive Pro and it’s crap… but also the best on the market at the moment.

It’s amazing what people will tolerate. Awful lenses, awful FOV, but the best SDE out there.

I still think it’s a great unit but of course Pimax will hopefully be amazing.

I think everybody will hope they find a panel that works. It will be an upgrade option for all their other headsets after retail so kinda important.

But It is like anything in life, nothing is perfect in every aspect so you gain a benefit here but a sacrifice there. The only solution is to buy one of each for the different use cases.

1 Like

It’s easy. Just sell your kickstarter account and get them to change contacts and delivery address. You can transfer the money with paypall. I had the money in an hour

Guys, I think you are maybe little overreacting with this display matrix.
I think 8KX have better future than maybe 8K.
Major problem is that constant upgrading and downgrading and again upgrading picture which causing loss of some quality of the picture.
For the better answer on this issue, we need immediately new picture mod for 8K and this mod is native 4K resolution support on 60 and 72Hz.
This should decrease lost of picture quality and better clarity on 8K and with BW even games should be playable on 30 and 36 FPS.
Only if there is no quality gain on this 4K native support we should worry about this different display matrix.

I think we have the technology now to make the 8k X work. No need to delay it any further