8kx double visions not pp 6900xt

Yep at one time nothing newer than it seemed an r9 390.

Pimax and Amd need to improve there working together.

1 Like

True. Your benchmark scores look good.

To confirm: You are seeing is constant double images in VR even with 1 eye closed. It’s not a matter of stuttering causing occasional double images. Also, playing a regular flat screen game is fine. Right?

I don’t think the USB issue would cause that symptom (but you never know, it might).

I’m not sure what else to suggest at this point, unfortunately.

2 Likes

hmm, I mean, the CPU and GPU can still be optimized a lot. The cooling is only under air, right?

But shouldn’t be the trigger for the double image.

Do you have smart smoothing or what is it called enabled? It always had a similar effect on my Vega 56.

2 Likes

Right. I only meant that there were no obvious problems according to UserBenchmark.com. His score was noticeably better than mine, which is expected, given his hardware.

2 Likes

CPU with AIO 360.
GPU Air

NO overclock.
Had a play with OC, but turned all OFF because of this issue.
I am sure if i had an overclock, even, I would say "turn of the OC for now, while we test.

1 Like

I have turned all smart smoothing off, because if this issue

1 Like

Have you tried using fpsVR to determine the fps? My best guess is that something is somehow interfering with VR. If your double-image is due to low-fps (like mine was), that gives us something to troubleshoot.

Have you tried turning off the mirror display (VR image which is shown on your flat monitor)?

1 Like

Firstly Thanks for the ongoing feedback.

Took me more than a minute to do the update of my BIOS. It is done now.
Needed to test everything again.

NO overclock.

An improvement over before the update.

Issue description as of today. after BIOS update
I will now say: I am NOT having this issue in SteamVR (thought i was before). SteamVR settings page (in 8Kx) looks great.
SteamVR (in 8kx) Reposition Standing Position - Now works (did not before).

Beat Saber: In steamVR, PP on, SS off, looks fine.
Space Pirate Trainer: needs work, but I do not think this is the same issues.

That seams to have gone. Not tested all, but some apps will now start from Pitool or Pi Experience.

STILL have TWO issues
This may be a Pi Experience only issue!
Double Vision explanation
Looking at the settings page in Pi Experience.
PP off
SS off
All view sizes e.g. normal
All Render quality e.g. 0.5
Low resolution so GPU and GPU have no issues
Looks great UNTIL
I move my head set or reposition the Pi Experience page (a bit left, or a bit right).
The double vision (see picture above).
All text and the white round circles with the “<” “>” show in two or three places at the same time.
This is only for a short time, while moving. When stationary, it looks great again.

Possible second issue (originally though it was the same one)
Project Cars 2
The symptoms are not really similar. I can call this jitter. So I will work on this in a Project Cars 2 forum (here somewhere).

2 Likes

Great to hear you are making progress.

You should report on the PE specific issue in the latest PE feedback thread; as stated, there aren’t many users if any that use RDNA2 GPUs with their Pimax and you could offer valuable data to @arminelec and @SweViver detailing your experience with that GPU.

6 Likes

Yes you are right. Now it looks like a Pi experience only, i will now.
Do you know where that is?
Is it this one?
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimaxvr-experience-0-85-0-0/34966

2 Likes

That’s progress. I’m envious of your graphics card!

The double-vision may still be a low-fps issue. Perhaps, there is something wrong with PE or its settings, which is causing the fps to be too low.

I think so.

1 Like

In Pitool, Diagnostic

I still have “Video Protocal = unknow”

I wander if it got lost because i also noised the spelling
“Video Protocol = unknown”

1 Like

That might be an issue (“unknow”, not the spelling). I assume the misspelling is simply due to the programmer’s native language being Chinese, not English.

In PiTool, under Help / Diagnose, my “Video Protocal” is “DP” which probably means DisplayPort.

Anyway, it’s well past the time I should be asleep. I’ll check back tomorrow.

2 Likes

Great help. I though it should say that, so I raised it in my issue list above.
It looks like it is probably important.
I have re told Pimax on my ticket.
I have been taking to Gaby.

2 Likes

Awesome progress Darrell!

@chiagod posted on reddit that 90hz native might be working on Amd gpus it seems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/m8ljmw/pimax_releases_90hz_2xuhd_update_for_8kx/grqfut1?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

2 Likes

i have no access to reddit, Englishman in China.

but i have the 90hz update.
i tried it, yes it worked. But i still have other problems. so i did not spend time on it. sott of thought it was standard now.

ill have a better look tomorrow.
after i have a firm opinion, ill post

1 Like

Here is a screenshot of @chiagod’s post.

Good to hear that you have had some success with 90hz. Hopefully once these other issues are resolved can get a good run on it.

Look forward to hearing your opinion on it.

1 Like

Not the best place to say this; i will start a new thread, in a bit.
8Kx 90Hz in Steam VR
Beat Saber: PP on, SS off, looks good, working good
Space Pirate Trainer: PP on, SS off, looks good, working good

1 Like

I’ve just noticed something in this photo. Sorry not sure if it has been mentioned.

At the bottom, the left image is brighter. But at the top the right image is brighter. Does this tell us anything? Like, how do scan lines work and could this be related or suggest anything?

IDK what I’m talking about, obviously, but I just thought it looked odd and was worth mentioning.

2 Likes