8kx double visions not pp 6900xt

Thanks.
It is making me look more closely.
This is a pic of my screen (TV) looking at what is in HMD (left) and (on right) AMD graphic software Radeon.

I am still having the problem. but only in some places. This particular double vision, is only in Pi Experience. But, i am have other problems. I do not know if they are related!

2 Likes

Oh I see. I didn’t read properly I thought it was through the lens of the headset.

1 Like

I just spent the day on this ~10 hours.
As noted above, had great success with 90Hz. Played for about 30 mins.

Spent the rest of the time trying to get things working.
Played with Redeon setting (this is an AMD 6900xt) - basically all off.
Played with Project Cars 2, Same as before. I can do nothing to influence the issue. This is not the same a the Double Vision I have in Pi Experience. PC2 explained above.

and installed Project Cars 3. This has neither of the problems listed above. At one point I had it working (low res) so tuned up the res a bit (requires restart), and it was really good, no issues. So turned up the res a bit more and then from the moment i start it (so still in SteamVR) HMD 3FPS, GPU 2%, unusable. Still looks great on TV!
Since then I have not been able to get back to the place I was when it was working (for 1 min) at lower res.

What is going on?
I have to, you know, work next week. I am still looking for ideas and help.

1 Like

It does sort of act like low FPS (some times). Why would GPU be so low utilization?

In PC2 I don’t think it is, it is more like a PP thing.
I just tried PC3 and that defiantly looks like VERY low FPS. Again low GPU 2%

So i think there are two or three issues here.

If I assume for a moment the GPU is not being asked to work, then the FPS is low. This would make sense for two of the problems: PE & PC3.
How is the graphics pipeline triggered and what determines the path?
What are the setting for that (that I can play with)? Hold on, I have played with them.
Are they working?

1 Like

Thanks for the input.

The double vision i have with PE: it looks great until I move my head. When moving I could see the double vision in either eye and on the flat screen. I would not call this stuttering.

If I max our resolution(in some game) - can get stuttering. I think i know(now) what stuttering looks like. I do not think this is stuttering. (I’ve been wrong before!)

Yes have some non VR games. No issues, look great, no stuttering, no need to overclock. E.G. Control
That TV I am using is only 1920x1080

1 Like

So far 90hz on amd sounds promising.

1 Like

I still miss the info about your real resolution

3 Likes

That is a good point.
I will get some pics, to show.

But as a guide the 8kx is
3840 * 2160 * 2

Project Cars3 i was referring to was about 1200*1000 to start with. Then turn up if it is working.
Aiming for 3800 X (whatever about 3000).

My point there was, it seamed once i set a res a bit higher (say 3000 by something) then HMD 3FPS and GPU 2%. When i set it back down (say 2000 * something) I still have HMD 3FPS and GPU 2%
As if the setting was not being implemented.

The way i tested Space Pirate Trainer:
(Note: numbers are not accurate, just examples)
loaded at 1200 X ? if it worked try 2000 x ?, etc.
I did try 6000 x ?, i could not see image improvements and so turned it down. Each time there is a clear insincere in image quality and frame time.
When frame time it too high, dial it back. To high meaning more that the set frame time of the HMD e.g. 60, 75, or 90. I look at the graph from steamVR.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi Darell,

Do you still have the issue ?
If so, I invite you to check the following windows parameter :
System/Display/Graphics/default parameters/modify default parameters (don’t know the exact translation in english, but this should be close).
I had the same issue than you, and as soon as I deactivated this parameter (and restart windows), everything was back to normal.

1 Like

Thanks for the idea.

I will try it when i get home.
i do still have this issue on piexperance, only when moving the menu, or hmd.

there are a few issues that seam to be related the various methods of filling in frames, pimax and steamvr.

i can use my hmd, and i love it, but these issues persist .

Pimax has just contected me(see a diferent thead) to make logs, so they can.look into these issues.

1 Like

This looks like the effect I get when I first turn on my HMD when it’s cold in the room. I can see this afterimage as I turn my head sharply. The colder it is, the worse the afterimage is.

The effect goes away after a couple of minutes as the panels heat up. So I haven’t been too concerned about it.

In my case, I believe it’s because LCD response time increases as temperature drops. The afterimage I’m seeing is an analog effect, not digital. It has nothing to do with the GPU or drivers or anything. It’s purely slowness in the LCD pixels on the panel itself. The effect fades as the panels heat up until its completely gone.

If what you’re seeing is the same, only yours isn’t going away after a minute or two, you might experiment with warming up the room more or just the HMD itself and see if this affects it.

Perhaps there is something going on with the duty cycle on your LCD panels. As I understand it, VR headset LCD panels run a very low (~10%) duty cycle to avoid this kind of effect. Perhaps the backlight setting might affect it? Or possibly firmware update?

If it’s the same effect I see when mine is cold, but nothing makes it go away, I’d say your LCD panels are defective. Out of spec reaction time.

1 Like

Thank you for the input.

A great idea. I do not think cold is my issue. I am in Zhuhai China the temperature is 20 on a cold day. I need AC all the time. And this Pi Experience double vision does not go way after warming up.

I will look at the setting, over the weekend.

To summarize at this point:
Pi Experience still has the issue, but is usable to change setting. At one point we though PE is using some type of SS and that was the issue.
Other double vision seam to be Smart Smoothing (SS) and Motion Smoothing (MS) related. I have been making setting so I never drop the fps below Hz. Therefore no SS or MS kicks in. Really great experience.
As I just said, Pimax are now talking with me for Logs to look into this issue (SS and MS). Maybe the logs will help them change something.

1 Like

Hi, so Darrell, did you check the windows parameter?

Yes I did look. I did not find what you are you mean. Maybe i was looking in the wrong place, but i did not find anything to change.

What version of Windows do you have?

In Windows 11 Parameters :

then

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

I still can not find what you are saying.
I am using Window 10
Sorry for the phone pics. That pc is air gapped (not connected to the internet)