8kX achieves 120hz & Trade-in Program

Doesn’t say where to download or it’s even out yet. Doesn’t anyone know yet?

I would rather have had a better idea of what the Pimax Reality Series Crystal Quarter 3 release window is since all things accounted for Quarter 3 is between July and September, it is currently June so… yeah…

1 Like

Welcome to OpenMR!

Q3 is always July 1 to Sept 30. Much luke Q4 is Oct 1 to Dec 31.

Or do you mean it would have been better to have had the prospect of the Crystal being announced sooner?

1 Like

So is the 12k not coming this year?

1 Like

I think it will release this year as per the schedule but might not be shipped/received this year if it releases close to end of Q4.

Due to:

• Shipping backlog with Christmas and New Years’ celebration/holidays
  • potentially delays with processing Trade In Program “before new orders”

Alot will depend on how soon in Q4 it releases and how things work/complete in the Trade In Program. Really not enough details to say one way or the other. We’ll simply have to wait and see how thibgs turn out.

2 Likes

If it actually does release this year then it would be the first time that Pimax was able to keep an announced schedule!
Not trying to hammer on Pimax but seriously, have they ever met an announced deadline?

1 Like

@PimaxUSA @Heliosurge @PimaxQuorra

These questions have probably been asked and answered but I can’t find the information.

I’m wondering, how do I get on the 12K trade-in program list when I’ve purchased a 8K X from Amazon US in February 2021 and will the purchase price be honoured?

I’m also wondering a few things also:

Will the Pimax 12K Crystal be part of the Trade-In program?

Will there be Reviews of the 12K Final Release HMDs by YouTubers and Review sites to help make a decision on which to purchase while on the Trade-In program list?

Will Pimax give customers ample time to decide which 12K version to opt for while on the Trade-In program list?

1 Like

If you have your receipt yes you can use it as a trade-in towards the 12K QLED but not the Crystal. The value used will be the price of the headset itself on your receipt.

@PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra @Heliosurge

Wouldn’t it be funny if the 12K Crystal is the better buy but can’t purchase it through the Trade-In program, forcing Your Customers(like myself) into a corner.

Pimax should get it’s act together and offer the 12K Crystal as part of the program. It’s a 12K model and I wonder what Robin thinks why it’s not available?

The 12K trade-in program is very generous. So it seems strange to complain that it isn’t even more so.

Consider that the Crystal is $500 less than the 12K and what that does to the math of the trade-in.

If you’re trading in a $1200 8KX for a $2400 12K, that’s $1200 the customer is paying for the new headset. Essentially the same cost as if buying another 8KX.

Whereas if the trade-in existed for the $1900 Crystal, the customer would pay only $700. That’s nearly half as much for a headset that probably does not cost half as much to make.

If Pimax offered a Reality series headset at the 8KX price point, would you then be demanding they give it away for free since there’s no price difference?

There’s also the point that the Crystal is not a direct upgrade from any of the Vision series headsets. You’d be trading away FOV for clarity. Whereas the 12K is upgrading both and makes no sacrifices relative to the 8KX.

The Crystal, I believe, is meant to offer a cheaper upgrade path from the Valve Index. And indeed, my friends with Indexes are very interested in the prospect of the Crystal. The Varjo Aero fails as an upgrade path for the Index because you’re arguably giving up almost as much as you’re gaining (depending on how much you value audio and FOV). Whereas the Crystal is an upgrade over the Index in all respects with no sacrifices.

At least on paper.

8 Likes

@PimaxUSA to add another question regarding the 8KX:

I bought an 8KX from a forum member via ebay in September 2020 for €1400 who had acquired it directly from Pimax via Upgrade Plan C and paid an additional $ 909.51, including shipping in November 2021.

Can I use this HMD for a trade-in and if so, what value will be deducted from the purchasing price of the 12k?

I have receipts for the original upgrade bill, the upgrade transaction as well as the purchasing bill from ebay.

Appreciate your feedback; if the 8KX cannot be traded in I’d rather now sell it on myself.

1 Like

The 12k & Crystal are separate headset models.

Only the 12k has a trade in program.

1 Like

@Sargon @Heliosurge @PimaxUSA

I understand all of what you mentioned.

Having owned my 8K X 1.5 years, i’d rather Clarity over FOV but both would be heaven! I’m sceptical that the 12K is going to have improved clarity with a hybrid design lens design. Sure it will be clearer but what other issues will it have with the display? Will the PC tech be able to run it t full res? I do hope it will push VR further to ultra realism, just look at what Meta/FB/Oculus is coming up with in designing their new technology’s.

If the Crystal is going to be a contender for the Varjo Aero then I’d expect it to have clarity similar as the Aero users mostly love the displays minus the barrel distortions.

I’ve struggled with getting clarity with Pimax 8K X and I’ve used countless “how to” guides and I think it’s got something to do with my eyes(short sighted), the canted lenses, old PC, older model 8K X and out of alignment FOV adjuster, e.g. 66mm = 62mm etc. Also there’s the constant “upgrades” mainly hardware in my case.

But with all that being said, the 8K X is still working without minimal issues, not like when I owned a Reverb V2 for 1/2 a day.

1 Like

No, it isn’t a 12k model and that isn’t the name.

1 Like

@PimaxUSA

My apologies, I thought it was. It’s Pimax Crystal.

1 Like

Here is the launch video link if you haven’t seen it:

1 Like

Heyo! so i have a pimax 5k super that I bought with the normal headphones. I bought kdmass headphones for it and the optical cable..

1 Like

I think this is another reason for Pimax to not include the Crystal in the trade-in program. Because a lot of people have expressed heavy skepticism about the 12K ever since its original announcement. By having a narrower FOV, the Crystal appears to be a more conventional design (since the Varjo Aero exists) and so will appear to 12K skeptics to be a more realistic model that will actually work (despite having most of its design and features in common with the 12K). In this capacity, the Crystal acts as relief for fears that the 12K will fail to deliver.

Pimax will surely not want their customers to buy Crystals before the 12K is even released based solely on lack of faith in the 12K as a product.

And that’s exactly what you’re expressing here. You’re not favoring the Crystal because you prefer its specifications over the 12K but rather because you doubt the 12K. And discouraging acting on that doubt and settling for a Crystal may actually be one of Pimax’s motivations for offering the 12K trade-in program in the first place.

Whats nice about the Crystal releasing first is that we will be able to see how well these features work out in the real world and hopefully iron out any bugs before the 12K release.

5 Likes

I have to concede it’s a total possibility that they just “me-too” the Aero with the Crystal, and whif on the 12K (at least to the point that something else is a competitor, at which point the frontier is not the frontier), but my gut says they got this.
I know, I know.
Where’s the evidence?
I got none of course.

I for one will end up buying a Crystal waiting for the 12K, which is sad as it lends to the concerns above.

2 Likes