8K X vs HP Reverb - Just a teaser :)

From what I remember of the livestream, it’s the same upscaler so in theory performance is identical.

But let’s see the evidence, to be sure. As Seb from MRTV would say, ‘Caaaaming Aaaaahp’ I’m sure :grinning:

I understood that it’s a different upscaler and pcb so that it can bypass the upscaling

Upsclaing mode is just for 90hz. Native input is always better.

1 Like

But native mode may require more power for a decent res than a 2080 Ti can deliver. Hence upscaling mode may be more practical in the short term.

I’m aware that the upscaler can be switched off, but no idea whether that affects its upscaling performance in comparison to the 8K+. Waiting for Pimax on that one!

2 Likes

It’s ok, I hear the RTX4080ti Super will be released first half next year. Then you can upscale to 10896 x 8462 per eye to enjoy the 8K-X:rofl:

No really.

1 Like

Then you can lower the rendering resolution. There is no one forcing you to set SS for 100% when using 8KX.

Two images rendered by SS 64%, one is downscaled to 1440P and upscaled to 2160P, another one just goes directly into the panels. Which one will be better?

1 Like

I dunno whats wrong, but I just cannot get the HP scale the image on par with 8KX.
The details are lost. Its like it has some weird processing ini the pipeline. WMR steamVR driver maybe?
Tried supersampling 300% this time on HP (which is waay above 2160 vertical pixels).

Could this be because of the vertically aligned subpixels on HP?
Judge for yourself:

6 Likes

Ah yes I see your point. Having the ability to choose between these options on one headset for different purposes is going to be useful, that’s for sure

Edit with one important caveat, just for the worst case scenario - if I have to lower the res to worse than I’m getting with the 5k+ to get the 8K-X to perform acceptably.

Unlikely to be same problem, but when using a 980 Ti I couldn’t get the 5k+ to look better than a Lenovo on Elite with PP. It was just a widescreen version, and not worth it with that card.

2 Likes

I run my 5K+ with 1080Ti at steam SS 100% , which is about 3200 * 2600, and Martin noted that 8KX at SS 100% runs at 3800 * 2400 resolution. Don’t worry about your GPU too much.

That is a natural thing. IMO 5K+'s quality of image is pretty similar with Windows MR HMDs(except Samsung and reverb). Muuuch wider FoV and sweetspot is the key.

3 Likes

Yeah combined with every conceivable SS and quality setting as low as possible just to maintain 30-35FPS. Was also a very old CPU so basically everything that could be a bottleneck, was hehe…

1 Like

Yes, it was, but I discovered that for one reason or another, that wasn’t actually happening.

Perhaps it was because I use a beta version of PiTools. Anyway, after I made the change (1-2 months ago), I saw a large improvement in Elite Dangerous, specifically, the ship console text was noticeably more readable.

1 Like

I’m curious about the SDE difference between 8KX and Samsung Odyssey+. Or between Reverb and Odyssey+ (since Revers is similar to 8KX in terms of SDE).

Are you running the betas of the WMR for SteamVR and SteamVR? There is a bug with the newer versions of Windows that affects the rendering resolution that still might not be fixed unless you run the betas of both of those. It’s a huge difference, the Reverb is extremely clear when it’s working right but a tad blurry if not, and your screenshots look like when it’s not working right. Your reported render resolutions is another indication you’re not on the latest, because when I’m at 100% supersampling on the reverb it has each eye at 2192x2152.

4 Likes

Yes, something must be going on somewhere along the line, as things are multiple times passed from one piece of software to another, because for example on your Skyrim shot, the height of e.g. one of Lydia’s eyes is the exact same number of pixels in both pictures, but one can clearly see that intermediate bitmap resolution has at some point been much lower for the Reverb, than for the 8kX 8k+, with single texels spread out over multiple screen pixels (looks pretty much exactly 2x2 (EDIT: just look at the stair-stepping along her jawline)) in telltale artefact patterns of upscaling a lower resolution image to a higher resolution screen. :7

(EDIT2: could also be that both the images are upsampled, but with different filtering, producing a smoother output in one of the cases, versus e.g. nearest-neighbour in the other.)

No.

Nice, would be great to see this again but with Elite Dangerous as the game!

1 Like

fps in asgarths wraith with pimax 8k X :smiley: ? let me guess 42 fps with epic settings and res scaler on 50% and pi tool 1.0 ? :smile:

2 Likes

he was testing you like a pepsi/coke blind taste test, and you passed.

2 Likes

Just tried non beta’s and the bug is still apparent , very noticeable quality drop in steam vr between virtual desktop to windows mixed reality desktop both running next to each other in non beta’s
no matter what ss or aa is used in virtual desktop

2 Likes

Damn, does gauges on the 8k x are like crazy sharp!!!

1 Like

This is why I dont listen to MRTV anymore. If i listened to him i’d be a not so proud owner of an HP Reverb.

3 Likes