8K-X recommended specs

Native 4K is what we really wanted so the new 8K-X is for a lot of people the most attractive option.

But it will eat gaming rigs for breakfast so how well do ours measure up to these recommended specs and where can we chew off a bit?

For instance, I have a 1080Ti and an older i5 CPU. But I would like to do things like Virtual Desktop which doesn’t need high FPS. I’m curious to learn more of the different uses this headset needs the recommended specs for.

6 Likes

For the livestream I specifically asked the question of Minimum and Recommended specs especially for GPU, and it was ‘answered’ - which is to say Martin and Kevin said they can’t give any specs because it depends entirely how you use it. Which to me is rather obvious and not very helpful, of course if I only choose to run it at VGA resolution then it doesn’t ask much of a gfx card :slight_smile:

I really wanted to know with native 4k res (without lowering it) and default PiTool 1.0 settings, no SS etc, whether Elite with PP can manage a steady 75FPS in the most demanding areas like stations and surfaces with a 2080Ti, not to mention other apps. And the livestream answer left me none the wiser.

Other manufacturers do manage to provide requirements specs regardless, so I feel they are being cagey about it.

4 Likes

I believe that DP 1.2 is wrong. Even DP 1.4 without DSC is not enough to feed 2x4K @ 75 Hz, because it needs ~39 Gbps bandwidth and DP 1.4 (HBR3) can only provide ~32 Gbps.

2 Likes

Right…what do you think about Martin showing Assetto Corsa running at a ‘steady’ 75 FPS on the livestream?

That he lowered the res to achieve it? They didn’t give the resolution details that I can see.

Do we know what DP version the 8KX will ship with? And is it totally locked to the hardware chips and cable? I’ll assume a future firmware upgrade is not going to be able to address this by itself.

1 Like

Another spec that I don’t see on the webpage itself is the cable of the 8K-X.

EDIT: the cable is not 2 meters

I heard it was only 2 meters? This to me sounds like there is a big problem. Sure, seated games like racing sims and virtual desktop will be fine this way but that is a gigantic limitation in my opinion.

Such a big limitation that it almost seems like the price is wrong. But at the very least it should be mentioned on the webstore. I almost forgot and because of the added tax and delivery costs I just don’t think I should pay so much money for a 2 meter cable headset.

1 Like

I am not saying it will not run, just that the minimum spec. sheet is not right. RTX cards all support DP 1.4, apparently also the DSC. You just need a better cable (as was already advertised by Pimax), which can handle the bandwidth required by the headset.

No.

It has to ship with DP 1.4 support, otherwise it would not work. I guess they use the new DP bridge from Analogix.

2 Likes

They did mention that the cable has taken a lot of effort to get right. But currently it is simply not possible to extend it.

This also inevitably means that these cables are going to be expensive and precious, only Pimax are likely to be able to source a replacement if it breaks. And then, how long would they continue to supply it in future once they have newer headsets with updated cables on the market.

1 Like

EDIT: Turns out the cable IS NOT 2 meters

I have an overhead solution for hanging my cable from the ceiling. I will also need that to use with my soon :tm: to be delivered CyberShoes which have a rotating chair to sit on.

So… I’m slowly realizing this 8K-X hasn’t got the use ability I need.
-relative slow pc and gpu
-overhead cable management
-incredibly high price when shipping and taxes are included

Never thought I’d go here, but I think the 8K+ is going to be my upgrade… :sob:

1 Like

Ah I see, understood

Hmmm yes seems that way, sorry :frowning:

I think it’s going to take another generation before we can have all the flexibility of the current gen kit

They also mentioned that the resolution can be lower than the 5k+ will look much better on the 8KX due to the native panels (ie more/smaller dots).

It should be possible to test native res performance already on a 5k+ (or at least close to it). Just frame limit the game to 75 fps. Then set the supersampling resolution in steam to 4k on each eye.

Sorry Risa. The reply was not meant for you.

1 Like

It was meant for @Pimel

1 Like

No, you have mistunderstood. The 8KX cable is 5 METRES. The 2 metres they were discussing is extra extension ON TOP OF THAT.

5 Likes

Ok, that changes things again. Arrrggg.

3 Likes

Yepp, would be interesting to know whether there is anything the 8k+ can do that the 8k-X in scaler mode cannot. E.g. regarding wireless adapter, usage of longer cables etc. If it’s all the same then the 8k-X is always more flexible and the only drawback would be the price. (Thus 8k+ vs 8k X would boil down to how often one would be using the 8k-X in native mode with all it’s restrictions and advantages. If you always need a 10m cable or wireless then the answer is easy)

1 Like

Ah ok :slight_smile:. BTW: You can delete the “mistargeted” posts, as I did with mine, just to tidy it up a bit :wink:

4 Likes

As to the slow pc and gpu, Pimax has said that the 8KX actually needs less gpu than an 8K (and I assume an 8K+), because it needs far less SS to look good. Will 7m be enough? Pimax said that a 2m extension will work.

As for price, yeah it’s very high, but I think that the 8KX will be noticeably better and that (at least for me), the 8K+ simply isn’t a viable upgrade. (Imo, it’s better to spend the extra $$$ for a headset with a longer useful life.)

9 Likes

Aaaarrrggggg. Just when I had made my choice, I recognize you’re right here

4 Likes