8K X Occasionally Blacks out for a few seconds (Potentially Solved, EMI Ground Loop/ Interference likely the cause)

I never thought of this but I always lock my SteamVRSettings file with gpuSpeed values of 5000 (for the nvidia 3090) and render scale at 1.5 and i lock the file to read only so nothing can be changed unless i uncheck read only for that file. Im wondering if maybe those values affect anything? Another thing that could be overstressing the bandwith possibly and causing the cutouts.

1 Like

Just had another blackout and didnt have the logging on when it happened unfortunately.
I have decided to completely shut off Afterburner as I dont need it running stock settings.
Also, I just updated to Nvidia driver 461.33 (which fixes the steamVR stuttering some people were getting although no gpu monitoring software can be used with it anyway)… It’s the last nvidia driver that will work with 90hz mode on the 8k x as well.

If it happens again, I’m not sure what else to try at that point.

1 Like

It has been awhile but I think gpuz has a logging function. I do recall awhile back there was issues with msi afterburner but don’t recall if it was related to vr/pimax or something else. I do recall @SweViver I think mentioning for Nvidia Overclocking and such he used zoltac’s on his msi card?

I only had Afterburner on but there probably was no need for it anyway because i set everything back to stock… So let’s see if Nvidia driver 461.33 without afterburner working does any better than before. If not, Gary Tall is having a few days of success with no blackouts right now. He had an undervolt and he set it back to stock and it’s been working for him so far, but only for a few hours total… He didnt use afterburner at all, and he’s on 459 or 460 driver so it’s a little older.

1 Like

Gpuz has no built in overclocking but as mentioned believe it has gpu logging function.

Additional Article on use also has dl link.

I dont use gpuz anyway. No real need for it

honestly ive completely cured mine with high fans and no memory overclock. In some cases i guess you need to underclock your memory on the 30xx series. Wasnt there some kind of issue with this in the beginning? Might not be 100% fixed. Ive had once every 5 secs when clocks to high to once in 4 hours or none at all for over month with the temps/memory in check. So it seems like its a overheat/memory issue to me

2 Likes

ive tried 2 different 3090’s, both overclock, and both at stock - temps never over 60c normally and it would still happen. It might fix it for some, but there’s not just 30-series cards affected. Ive seen 10 and 20-series cards getting the blackouts.

1 Like

blacking out usually means the render stopped tracking…

• if it were a render error, usually it would just [FREEZE] as you “have to” (in computer terms) [Render] the [“Blackness”]

so it is my [guess] that its a tracking error/lag for some reason.
perhaps a subroutine that tracks had frozen.

Personally with your setup i would TRY the following:

• increase priority of tracking process: AND… set affinity of CPUS to back half.
    so [HIGH] and CPUS(ht cpus too) to back 50%
    = if 6/12T then 7+
    = if 8/16T then 8+
    = Mine is an AMD Ryzen so id set to 12+
    But you [ONLY] have an [INTEL 9900KS] so you will set it to [ONLY 8+]…
1 Like

Where do you do try these things?

1 Like

was running OK at first but have had blackouts daily at 90hz in iRacing since using Gary Tall’s suggested settings on iRacing forum. I have reverted back to stock settings , with some changes (FullyWaitForSync=1 / HDR off/ Shadow Maps off - some others i cant recall) and last night no blackouts.

5600X / 3090 / AsRock Taichi x570 / 16GB Gskill @ 4000

1 Like

Do you guys have pitool running in the background while iracing is running? (In addition to pi_server service)

I always have the pitool app open. I run iRacing in a small window so its always there. I actually run a few apps at the same time. At this time I’m running pitool to make sure i keep turning on the logging to try and catch these pesky blackouts somehow in the logs - which i havent been able to do.

1 week no blackouts so far and i didnt do anything new except for move the pcie usb internal hub card to one slot, then back to where it was originally.

got it. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi there, I don’t believe the settings I recommended cause this problem. I’m now running quite happily with them and no blackouts for the last two weeks since I returned the nvidia clock and voltage to stock on my 3090.

1 Like

I agree - i am having LESS blackouts after i returned the GPU to stock settings as well.
I dont believe the settings had much difference BUT it may make a difference if we crank up SS and other settings - which i dont usually do for iRacing anyway…
So far it’s been a week plus with no blackouts.

The only change i made since the last blackout was moving the pcie card from pcie_3 (which is in x2 mode) up to pcie_2, but i had to move it back to pcie_3 because i was getting errors… Maybe the pcie usb hub wasn’t seated correctly in the slot… Im not sure. But so far so good.

I am continually testing it with 2hrs+ per day for 5-6 days a week. Im trying to remember to run the log each time in pitool so that if it does happen, I can see if the logs mention anything in them.

I will update the post if it happens again also.

1 Like

yes you are probably right, i got another blackout last night when i struck a wall on the final lap strangly… Running at stock settings (PNY 3090) - i might try lowering the memory frequency below stock

1 Like

I had another blackout. I was logging it at the time it happened. So far i cant understand the logs much but i dont see where theres any major issues.

It probably happened about 7:10-7:30am - i didnt check the time that it happened unfortunately

Here’s my logs below if anyone can see anything wrong let me know

2 Likes

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FznN2D8_xybUbbhKp1yyAnsyFzLVaFUT?usp=sharing

3 Likes

I have an 8K+ and in my case I am sure that the blackouts occur when a very bright light or flash is suddenly displayed.

I just tried to play Until You Fall and I can’t even get through the tutorial as if the enemy hits me, first the left display blacks out and then the right display. After a few seconds the display returns. This happens every time I get hit.

This happened a while ago with Espire 1 when being hit in melee by an enemy and in a specific situation in HLA. At that time only the left display blacked out but it didn’t return until I rebooted the HMD, I reported it to Pimax and was offered a replacement but as the HMD worked fine for the rest and I didn’t trust that the RMA would go smoothly I accepted a coupon for a small amount.

1 Like