8K X Occasionally Blacks out for a few seconds (Potentially Solved, EMI Ground Loop/ Interference likely the cause)

I have run the last 2 weeks with no issues. I used to use it with a 2080Ti and it worked fine pretty high settings. 1080Ti should be fine also.

1 Like

perfect, thanks for that :slight_smile: I will be using a mobile rtx 3080 which should come close to a 2080ti. iRacing is the only reason i want this headset, so good to hear that it already worked for others.

I mainly use the 8k x for iRacing as well. It works amazingly except ive had 3 random blackouts and some others have reported the same. Not many people are affected, but there have been some.

yeah, ive seen your posts on reddit and the iracing forums. So im reading along :slight_smile: Unfortunately i just cant add anything usefull because i dont own it yet.

Well, I also have this issue in iRacing. Twice it would go 100% black for a few seconds. Caused a race crash in both.

I downloaded the new beta today, rolled back my driver to try out 90hz, and screen goes black there also.

I have 10900k, 32gb ram, EVGA 3080, no base station. I absolutely love this VR, but I’m worried to use it during a race thanks to now 3 blackouts.

Thoughts?

In your case i dont know. Try a different DP port on the GPU. Also, if you’re overclocking it, set it to stock settings

Sometimes issues can all be fixed by dialing back an overclocked gpu or cpu.

Like i mentioned on facebook, dial back the steamVR ss further also and keep testing if it keeps happening, try to turn off any overclocked settings on your gpu if you’re oc’ing it

@PimaxUSA it seems like this blackout issue on the 8k x models is widespread. Pimax must know whats going on. Some people are reporting it working on 60-75fps but fully blacks out at 90hz.

Is it straining the bandwith??

1 Like

Today my headset blacked out for a few seconds during a qualification run. The issue is still there unfortunately. @PimaxUSA Have you heard anything about this? The issue persists and for me it hasnt happened in like 3 weeks and now it happened again. 3 second black out, but game was still connected.

The same issue has happened to me as well in Derail Valley. Video blacks out for 2-3 seconds, sound and game still running. It happened twice during my play session yesterday, at about 1 hour in and 2 hours in, video recovered both times. I played for about 4 hours total, so I think you can rule out it being an iRacing issue or a RTX 3000 series issue. Yesterday was the first time this has happened, I usually play for 4-6 hours per session about 4-5 days a week.

One thing I did notice was… After I got done playing and closed out of the game, it seems that SteamVR had an update during my play session.

I have a GTX 1080 non ti, Pitool V1.0.2.087 Firmware V2.1.255.296 and PE V0.85.0.2 public beta.

it only happens to me in some games when I exaggerate the resolution. If I turn the supersampling down a few percent, it no longer occurs. You should also check to use two different USB ports so that enough power is available.

This is definitely not a USB power issue for me. I’ve tried different USB Ports and even added a 4-port/4-controller pcie usb 3.0 hub and it still happened.
Im not cranking up the resolution that much either.

I have my worst problem in fs2020. steamvr throws me back on the monitor. only happens through small spikes where the frame time is over 25ms. mostly at low altitude. annoying.

Im sure If I cranked it up i would have more problems, like i did in Assetto Corsa Competizione, but in iRacing you dont need to crank it up too hard to make it look great.

1 Like

2 more random blackouts today for about 3 seconds each time.

@PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra @Doman.Chen

Can anyone please tell us what’s going on. There are random blackouts that keep happening.

I thought it was fixed with the latest 90hz fw as I’ve not had it for a week but it happened yesterday for me on Dcs world too

Ye it is definitely still not fixed. I thought it was too.

I never had this with my 8KX until I upgraded to the 90hz firmware, it happens fairly regularly now. To me its like the headset has gone to sleep.

@PimaxUSA @Doman.Chen @PimaxQuorra - are you able to tell us if Pimax are investigating this issue as it spoils what is a fantastic device.

Regards
Fred

1 Like

This definitely isn’t an iRacing issue, I’ve had it in Virtual Desktop this morning. Same symptoms, the headset seems like its going to sleep and the red LED comes on, after about 5 seconds it comes to life.

I’ve had this twice in iracing with the new 90Hz Native firmware, never had this before. I resolved it by turning off the screensaver, it’s been working fine for a few weeks now with no issues.

1 Like

I never use a screensaver. What do you mean by “screensaver” though?