8K X Occasionally Blacks out for a few seconds (Potentially Solved, EMI Ground Loop/ Interference likely the cause)

That is an easy one to Answer. Laptops often do not have enough power and some desktops do not have strong 5v power so having an additional connector gives options to ensure the hmd is receiving ample sufficient power available.

I just had another flash blackout. It’s definitely NOT EMI because i put my PC and my motion rig on 2 different outlets now, and the cables are all separated with an EMI filter.

So it’s down to either the drivers (which was one of my original thoughts as well - since this issue didnt happen when i had the headset originally), or a ground loop.

1 Like

Are you sure there is no UFO hovering on top of your roof? They might have been monitoring you every time you play game. Their craft can certainly cause electrical interference. Since you have been on this EMI journey of speculations for so long, you might as well check everything lol.

1 Like

I agree. It’s not just me, im just notating everything that happens in my testing. There’s many others having the same issues.

2 Likes

The only way to test the driver theory is to downgrade your PiTool, firmware and graphics drivers. I find it hard to believe it’s drivers to be honest. Last night I had 5 blackouts over 2 hours. I eventually gave up powered off my PC then 30 mins later had a brainwave and tried out what I stated above and I had no problems for an hour.
Maybe the alien spacecraft had decided they had caused me enough grief and left me alone by then? So the ufo theory could well be equally valid!

1 Like

My situation is almost identical. One day near perfect, next day 5 flashes in 5 minutes before i start redoing things.

VERY Annoying

1 Like

I don’t remember everything now, but how much is your backlight setting?

I think around 70-80. Backlight isnt the issue because i tried default 50 too and it didnt help

1 Like

this sounds ok …hmm

1 Like

I’m confused and frustrated by the wild variation in behavior as well. Making no physical/equipment or software changes I have sessions where its malfunctioning consistently and then others where its flawless.

Perhaps the time of day, barometric pressure, temperature and humidity have as much to do with it as any of the changes we think we’re making… Usually I say that kind of thing facetiously, but in this case I do suspect that static electricity may be playing a significant role.

For me, 75Hz is much more reliable than 90Hz and thats what I’ve gone back to using when I actually participate in races. The combination of 75Hz on Firmware 296, PiTool 270 and Nvidia drivers 641.09 have been the most stable in my experience (although I have seen some blackouts, but brief and weeks apart).

1 Like

I’m tempted to get an earthing strap to ensure I’m earthed. Last night I also heard a crackly static type noise just as my headset went black.

1 Like

Funny you mentioned it - i ordered one arriving tomorrow with a long strap. Ill try to put it on my leg whereas if i put it on my wrist it might come off.

1 Like

Has anyone maybe logged what processes, services are running and maybe time of day?

May need to try running sessions clean of all unneeded background services etc…

People do make good natural amps.

Good idea by the way

Is anyone else running voice attack, simhub, or sim racing studio?

Or maybe precision x1, trading paints?!, VRS?

@Robertsmania @f1DaveK @dstar @DrWilken

2 Likes

None of it. I’m running MSI Afterburner though, but have also tried with it shut down (and OC completely removed).

1 Like

Same here - it’s not the OC for sure. Ive seen one guy with an undervolt who had it, and then he set it to stock and still had it also - same as me. so it’s not the OC.

2 Likes

I hope it’s just a firmware fixable bug and not a revision thing where some will work fine and others not due inferior components… :woozy_face::pray:

2 Likes

I do hope so too. Because ive been hunting this thing down for 3+ months now, maybe longer.
I only made the post in March, but it was going on before then.

2 Likes

It seems that they are testing that the cable shield has no continuity from one connector to the other. The first one that I suppose will be the fiber optic one, I don’t know because I don’t have it, there is no shielding on the cable since the metal shells of both connectors do not communicate. In the second cable if there is shielding or at least if it shows continuity.

1 Like