8K X Occasionally Blacks out for a few seconds (Potentially Solved, EMI Ground Loop/ Interference likely the cause)

Thanks so much mike! I ll check that out for sure.

1 Like

I switched steam VR from 100% to 80% and now looks great! Smooth in native mode compared to 2080ti .

1 Like

those ferrite cores must be to big!
and i know it takes a lot of cable, but you will need more raps 5

1 Like

No they are not to big and yes they work as they should. How many wraps you do also depends what you need. Typically its 5-7 times but i get the result i need with 3 in this case for the old cable but i run 5 on my optical as i have more than enough cable anyways. Also as far as i know but im no expert suppression will increase and frequency drop with number of wraps and i can touch it anywhere i want or even run the cable next to my motors or motor cables with 3 on the old one. I suppose go with 5 to be sure anyways

Edit. Tested the Vive 2 pro and i needs 5 loops.

2 Likes

Just a small update. I had a VERY SHORT Split Second Blackout… It lasted just under 1 second.

It seems that the interference on the line is still there. Funny thing is that this occurred after i added the ferrite that i have.

I ordered the ones @Trigen uses to try as well.
I also ordered the iFi iDefender USB 3.0 Ground Loops suppressor with a 5v power supply to try (i tried it without the power supply before on the older pimax headset and valve index - and it didnt work, but i figured ill try again)

Then Im waiting on a power filter to arrive by next week - hopefully something fixes the instability there is.

Here’s the links to them - although i have a feeling these wont even work:

iFi Defender USB 3.0: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0849J33T9

Power Supply: Amazon.com

2 Likes

I think if there are any more updates on EMI etc that it should be moved to a separate post.

Why move it? It’s all related to this issue… Possibly we could rename the heading.

I’ll adjust it for you a bit, though I won’t call it solved yet. 5 people now claim reducing or eliminating EMI has solved their issue, strong evidence.

I also don’t believe it’s fully solved because others are saying they dont have a similar problem with grounding like i do… So i think it’s just general signal interference in some way.

@PimaxUSA You should change the heading to EMI/Ground Loop - not just EMI.

1 Like

My apologies, i didnt realize it was your own post and i haven’t seen any evidence on my own 8kX for it to be an EMI issue and it felt like we were just diagnosing a separate issue in the 8kX blackout post.

1 Like

Im not sure what your issue is but so far I’ve found 3 people that have somewhat alleviated the blackouts by rerouting the cable they’re using so far.

1 Like

I’d love it if this thread could stay focused on just the momentary blackout issue.

Also talking about or trying to resolve the grey out, sensitive to touch and tracking issues seems confusing.

Ive mentioned it before but I had one 8kX that was fine, one with blackouts. Motion rig, emi ground loops has never caused a blackout. Even in an unshielded and ground looped state did it ever cause a black out on the 8kX that worked just fine. How do i know, cause it happened whether it was on or off.

Im not saying some of your and a few others issues isnt caused by EMI but i dont think the main cause for these blackouts are due to that. From what i can tell the majority don’t have a motion rig. Those few ive seen specifically mentioning EMI has had some grey outs.

3000 series is a better common thing between us from what i can see, And perhaps heat. I know you have looked at that too from the Iracing post but when mine overheated i got black outs for 3-5 seconds all the time until i ran my fans at full. One blackout happens from time to time if i forget to set them up after some changes too. In any case its very hard to say but i don’t think we have come to the bottom of it. Time will tell.

2 Likes

The EMI and Ground Loop issues are very close though and It’s not easy tracking down which one is causing which either unfortunately… One thing that seems almost certainis that there’s interference causing tracking issues, blackouts, grayouts, etc. It may not be a motion rig - it could be a DD wheel, or sometimes just something stupid like wearing an Apple Watch can do it (happened to me 3 years ago with the 5k+ and grayouts).

I have sealed the copper wires in every motor and still have some minor flashes that may occur once or twice in a race, and today the 1/2 second blackout.

I will be getting this EMI filter next week and i’ll continue testing. If it stops the noise on the power lines and hence stops the headset from flashing, blackouts, or being overly sensitive, ill report back on that also

And i also ordered that USB Noise Suppressor so maybe that will work although im almost certain that it wont.

I originally thought it was 3000-series related but then found others with 10 and 20-series gpu’s reported it on facebook on a post i put there.
I also tested the same exact cables with 3 different 8kx headsets - all had those blackouts 2 months back. Yet a 5k super that i now own and i used the same exact cables with the 5k super (optical and default cables), and not once did i have a blip, flash, grayout, tracking issue, or even this kind of sensitivity.

In my testing so far this is exclusively an 8kx issue… I did have tracking, grayouts, and even blackouts happen with a 5k+ a few years ago, thats when i realized my rig had a ton of EMI and none of my cables were shielded nor grounded correctly, but after shielding and grounding almost everything i could think of, the 5k+ models i owned (4 or 5 of them by now), all worked fine. And even with my apple watch i had tracking issues where the image would jitter or float away until i figured out it was causing interference.

But this time with my whole rig shielded, grounded, rerouting the cable, it’s still being sensitive to the touch, and has minor blips that show up. So even though i consider the issue mostly solved, there is definitely some kind of interference causing the small flashes or blips that ive seen.

1 Like

I have only experienced the blackouts with the 8KX and a 3090 on the optical cable.

Previously, I had run the same HMD with the standard cable and a 2080Ti for a few months and never saw a blackout.

After getting the 3090 and updating to the beta firmware for 90Hz I ran for some time before seeing a blackout, but then had several - enough that I was not comfortable entering official events. I switched back to 75Hz and again ran for a week with no issues, and then had shorter blackouts. Flashed the HMD back to the non-experimental firmware, updated Nvidia drivers, ran again but did see one more blackout.

Then I did investigate the grounding on my equipment, found there to be discontinuity and ran a wire to ensure they all shared a common ground. Since then I have had no blackouts - but its just been a week.

I consider the blackouts to be a different issue than the grey/tracking/touch-sensitivity. I’ve had those issues with every Pimax headset I’ve had - both my 5K+'s and the 8KX’s I’ve had access to show those issues to some extent.

These blackouts have only happened for me on a 30 series card. Its interesting to hear that people with 20 and 10 series cards have reported it - is that indeed true? From the posts I’ve seen here and on the iRacing thread, everyone reporting seems to be on 30 series cards. Again, I’m concerned that people may be confusing these blackouts with the grey/tracking and adding to confusion.

1 Like

I agree SO FAR that the tracking/gray-outs may be EMI related, and the blackouts due to a ground-loop, but im not an electrician and can’t say for sure because i dont understand it that well. I just know when any cable (2 default cables and 2 different optical cables), ran across the floor, touching my motion rig that was grounded, it caused blackouts for 3+ seconds at a time.

and yes i do think the sensitivity, tracking blips, flashes, may be due to EMI

But altogether the headset seems too sensitive to ANY kind of interference, more so than other headsets i’ve had. And yes they can be separate into different topics, but more than anything there needs to be a common ground and shielding on the 8kx controller/hmd so this doesnt happen. The only issue is that a week ago within the support ticket that i had they were still unable to recreate the issue but they’re not using equipment that can cause such an interference. I told them to move the cable or headset close to an HDMI or a Servo motor, etc., and then continue testing.

Yes I wouldnt make that up. I found 2 or 3 people FOR SURE on facebook alone. I remember one had a 2080ti, and for sure another had a 1080ti.

It is true that i havent found any AMD GPU users in general that got the blackouts, but i also assume that nvidia gpu’s make up the biggest portion of pimax users as it does in general in the market share.

1 Like

I had blackouts (on 75Hz) the other day and then suddenly I had a flashing (red) LED on the 8KX.

If I tried removing the cables on the PC end to reboot the headset I noticed the “standby” red light indicator was pulsating which I haven’t seen before.

I thought it must be a loose connection so I pulled out the cable on the headset and reseated it.

There’s a loud click when it’s properly inserted.

After that I didn’t have any blinking LED.

I’m not saying it’s the cause but a bad connection could very well create blackouts so for anyone experiencing this, I suggest to reseat the cable.

2 Likes

I did have a full blown unplug/replug USB sound and the headset disconnected from iRacing altogether just before i moved the cable over the ceiling. Maybe something similar there but not sure. I shouldve checked the LED because i never do that.

2 Likes

I have only seen the blinking red LED once as far as I recall (and I have a 5K+ which I pre-ordered too).

I just think it’s worth a try to reseat the cable.

I recall some had loose/bad connections on the 5K+ headsets too (at arrival).

EDIT: Actually, wiggling my connector I can get the headset to cut out (power off/on). I think I might need to pull it all the way out and blow some compressed air in there?

1 Like

I too have had the Blackout issues at 60Hz, 75Hz with a GTX 1080 and every game I play, although lately they have been very very very rare, it only happens now when I first start up Pitool and doesn’t happen again during my play session. My cable has been hanging from the ceiling way back to the 5K+ days. not sure how it could be an EMI issue in my case.

1 Like