8K X Occasionally Blacks out for a few seconds (Potentially Solved, EMI Ground Loop/ Interference likely the cause)

Im not even sure how it would work. The #1 issue i think was that the platform was grounded with a ground cable straight into a socket and the Optical Cable from the headset was laying directly across the platform’s metal which was grounded (when the 3-5second blackouts kept occurring)… So I think if I reroute where the wire goes not touching the platform, it may work out better that way. I have some trial and error to do.

1 Like

Just a heads up - anyone having these blackouts, needs to look at where their wire is running also (in case of having a motion rig, or a DD wheel, etc)… Also having a cell phone, BT watch, etc, near the headset will also affect tracking this way.

I wouldve never thought this was the problem until i tried moving the cable and removing the ground wire i had.

1 Like

I don’t have a motion platform but do have a DD wheel.
I’ve tried routing my Pimax cable away from the motor but had a blackout within the first minute of use! I do wonder if we can ground the headset if this will resolve the issues.

1 Like

I know it’s not the cable itself because i reuse the optical cable on the 5k Super and never had a blackout yet. So it’s the headset itself not being grounded. I would be up to ideas on how to do that.

1 Like

I have motion rig, dd1 and 8KX and Bluetooth. It gives me blackout before. When I covered either side of the headset, it blackout and would not detect it again until I unplug and replug again. I also have a transducers Elite box and notice when I turn that box off, no more blackout. When I turn it on…blackout came back. So I guess you can say there’s some type of interference? I switch sound card of the transducers, and seem to work but sometime I still experience it…so I can’t really tell what it is…it doesn’t happened as often as before. My headset is hanging from the ceiling, not touching the rig at all…maybe just the fabric of the chair. I was thinking of getting this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQZQ5BQ/?coliid=I3025IGHLMLWO3&colid=3M2ALGJ07T0BT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But decided not to since it seems okay for now.

1 Like

You aren’t earthed though. You are touching everything else so if the 8kx isn’t earthed properly then you’ll get EMI

1 Like

Dave’s right… This happens to me when i touch the headset it blacksout and loses tracking - but once i added a grounding cable to the platform - i could touch the headset and it wasn’t as sensitive, but i think because the cable was touching the platform then it caused interference either way.

So no matter what i have a feeling we all have some kind of interference that causes these blackouts to happen.

This EMI/Ground Loop stuff confuses me because i know they’re not the same thing and in most cases it’s a GROUND LOOP that causes the issue for VR Headsets. When i drilled into my rig and connected this wire that went straight to my outlet’s ground connection only (in a surge protector/noise suppression 6-plug furman power outlet), i thought i was grounding the motion rig’s platform (and there’s continuity throughout it because i checked it before i did it. So the platform is grounded right… Why would the headset have blackouts if the cable is touching a grounded platform? It’s because the headset isn’t grounded to match the grounding of the platform? Is this what you mean? Technically that would mean I have to ground myself by connecting like one of those wristbands to the platform and maybe that would work (this isnt something i would do but would that technically solve it?). If that’s the case, then your theory holds up and we have to figure out how to earth/ground the actual headset itself to eliminate all these issues - but how is that done?

I AM ASSUMING THIS BECAUSE FROM ALL THE TESTING IVE DONE - the 5k+ and 5k Super never had this problem with the same cable that i was using resting on the same motion platform - so it’s the 8kx that has a bad earth/grounding issue.

I wonder if maybe an Anti static wrist band might help.

1 Like

That’s exactly what i mentioned above i think. One of those grounding bands that you get in the iFixIt Toolkits when you work on a PC - something like that. It wouldnt hold that way for long though especially when you’re sim racing and your hands are always moving and such - but technically that should work I THINK because you’re grounding yourself, to the rig, which is grounded - hence the headset should get the ground also. But then again, my cable was resting on the platform that’s grounded and caused the blackouts that i got to begin with… so confusing

1 Like

Yes Mike this could be a grounding issue not necessarily an EMI issue, I’m not an electrical engineer but I’m pretty sure if you’ve got adequately shielded cables then EMI should NOT cause any issues? My original thought was the DD wheel was causing some kind of EMI but maybe when you’re holding the wheel you’re causing yourself to become charged? I’ve certainly had interference with the HE load cell pedals and I fixed it by attaching an earth to an earth pin on the USB module.
This is where I was thinking we needed to earth the headset, but equally I think earthing yourself should also work. I’m keen to try that myself, it makes sense.

1 Like

Alot of variables to figure out

1 Like

You might be able to put it perhaps higher on the Arm and or extend the connector.

Nah, this isn’t a way to do it. It will constantly come off. That clip is weak. There has to be a better and more permanent way to ground the headset correctly.

I wonder if the USB Isolator adapters would help here the Adum3160 ones like this: Amazon.com

A common ground connection for all your gear should do it nicely I would say.
The one in the wallsocket (if you have one) would be preferable.
I’m not running any of my computer equipment without a common ground connector.
Which is the same on all my sockets throughout my house.

2 Likes

Thats the strange thing. The grounded platform was connected to a 6-plug Furman EMI/RFI Suppression / Surge Protector. My PC is connected to that same 6-outlet Furman power supply… But when the 8K X cable was laying across the metal of the grounded platform, thats when i had all the blackouts coming up… It may just be that i need to run the cable away from the platform while leaving the platform grounded as it was, and maybe that’ll fix the issue. I’ll test this and let you guys know.

3 Likes

Not sure though the one you linked is usb v1 ny the looks of it supports 1.5 to 12mbs.

And i remember trying this kind of USB isolator on the Valve Index and it didnt help on that headset, although with these pimax cables maybe a usb 3.0 isolator will work

How about this? http://www.saelig.com/product/adq-usb-iso-w.htm

Looks like overkill and probably wont even work.

1 Like

recently i’ve started to get a couple of seconds of black outs - in a variety of different games.

it’s quite rare though.

1 Like

Thats how it would happen to me as well. It would be 2-3 seconds, randomly once every 2-3 days or so. Sometimes once a week, sometimes back to back days. Recently I had 4 blackouts in 2hours. It’s weird. But I figured out why it happened although now i have to figure out how to alleviate it.

If Pimax themselves can give us guidance on how to shield or ground the pimax 8kx it would be appreciated @PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA - please let us know if there’s any way that we can ground these headsets appropriately. It seems the 8kx headset is built with a board that’s susceptible to Ground Loops/EMI more than the 5k Super and the other series headsets.

1 Like