8k-X my first impressions ~Djonko

who did you ask? I’d like to ask too

1 Like

Hi! I was contacted by Ellin if I am ok to have 8kX and eye tracking sent separately because after approx. 3 weeks ago I asked if they can send them together.

2 Likes

Congrats! Can’t believe it’s finally here for you.

4 Likes

Hehe yeah, happy I have it now. Also the colors are not bad at all if you use -3 + 2 for brightness/contrast @Yata_PL. The -3 for brightness helps with the oversaturation and it still has acceptable brightness for me.

My biggest concern is the comfort right now. The standard foam is WAY too thick for me, and while pimax promised to ship with both foams, I only got the thick version. So I pulled the gasket with the foam out and replaced it with the 5k+ gasket + foam and that already helps a lot. However it still doesn’t fit comfortably and it starts hurting after 30 minutes of usage, which is really too bad.

Other than that, man I just love the resolution, there’s absolutely no frikking way I can co back to the index, even though there are quite a few downsides of this headset at this moment. But it’s just so much fun to see all kinds of details in games that you never could see before. It’s literally a whole new world

11 Likes

Did you have comfort issues while wearing the 8K-X thick foam or only while wearing the 5K+ foam?

If it is the latter, then you should add a disclaimer to the main post that it was due to the old foam (which we already knew was uncomfortable :wink:). There is a reason they decided to make a new version and call it the “Comfort Kit”.

1 Like

Yeah but it’s actually the other way around. It’s the ‘comfort kit’ that adds DIScomfort :slight_smile: SO ‘discomfort kit’ would probably be a better name :wink: Maybe with thin foam it would actually be comfortable. But for now It’s much better with the old 5k+ foam

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Jss0831 mini review

Created a new topic for ya @jss0831:wink:

post deleted…

To me it’s the opposite. One of us must be an :elephant:

3 Likes

I think we know that without eye relief built into the HMD design, different face shapes require different thickness of face foams. So what works for some, could make it worse for others. That’s why I thought some time ago they made the decision to include two different thicknesses of face foams. Has anyone confirmed receiving both yet?

4 Likes

Regarding the foams there was this thread:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/so-what-happened-to-the-thin-foam-official-that-both-foams-will-be-included/29518

I don’t know why they don’t include both foams.
I guess Pimax logic tells them to include only 1 foam and anyone who wants the other will have to go through their support which some will give up on and this overall will reduce costs.

5 Likes

Lol you might be right, but that would be very disappointing on a premium priced product. Feels like this issue was raised quite a long time ago (your link confirms this). I would have expected an official announcement saying all 8kx’s dispatched after a specified date will now include them both - maybe I just missed it. Sorry Djonko I won’t divert your thread any further.

3 Likes

Well if my 8kx arrives with only 1 face foam, i will be opening a ticket straight away for the extra foam.
In my household other family members & friends will surely want to try my 8kx, so this will likely be needed in absence of screen distance adjustment.
Also I will be needing the non defective hinge parts.
So in the end pimax will need to send out anyway & pay the postage.
Also going by all my other support experiences, support staff will likely need to waste a lot of both of our time sending many many lost in translation, confusing back & forth messages leaving everybody involved annoyed.

7 Likes

Although I’m too busy these days, had some hours to play with the headset. It will definitely be my ‘to go’ headset but man I just wish some things were better. Comfort obviously needs to improve a LOT, I guess good hinges will make it much easier to use but I doubt it would get it up to the Index or Vive Pro level of comfort.

Colors are quite good, I’m using -2, +1 right now and they actually might look (slightly) better than the Index, which I found quite surprising. Sound of course is bad but you can just put on a headphone. But the biggest downside for me are still the lenses. While distortion slightly improved from the 5k+, it’s still very far from perfect and it just is the biggest road block standing between me and the virtual world, I just can’t get immersed because of the distortion. The index is so much better here. But then, A/B-ing the resolution change is just too great to go back to the index. So, for now the best headset for me, but Pimax really needs to improve the lenses. I’m guessing that when the G2 comes out, it will just destroy the 8k-X. We’ll see though, I kind of hope it cause I still want (NEED!) better VR.

9 Likes

yes go really, really deep. :grimacing:

That’s it 3090 preordered. Instead of showing a bunch of goofs playing games at 8k they should have shown reactions to this.

3 Likes

How’d you pre-order a 3090? I thought they don’t release till Thursday.

1 Like

It was a joke. He’s not being serious.

2 Likes

He just made a stiff joke

1 Like

Maybe the index is better because it’s a smaller FOV ?
Have you compared it to the smallest FOV setting for the 8kX or which FOV are you using ?

I also did not liked the distortions on the 5k+ and have sold it.
I hope I can live with the 8kX distortions.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.