8K X Backer Options

You guys need to be clear about this 75Mhz problem ,90 is the Industry standard for PC VR

What is not being grasped?

Why is Pimax pushing that an 8K X pledger should pay for the Standard 8K on good faith?

thank you @matthew for not answering.
first you said that 8kx supports only native 4k.
then before the end kickstarter say if it works at 1440.
now silence printing.
step from 8kx to 8k. there are 20 perhaps less.
for you is a victory for me is a big loss.
I want native 4k but I can not invest in a product that can not work before 2019.
at least know if you can keep 8k for more time ā€¦ bo

If you donā€™t have to keep 8k, and you just want to experience 8k. You donā€™t have to pay.

1 Like

You can keep 8k until we inform you that you can change X.

1 Like

Sorry to hear. I donā€™t think you understood they are working on getting 90hz working. The current prototype they have upto 85-86hz but are experiencing some issues with current hardware due to changing to single DP & are troubleshooting new hardware & firmware.

But I can understand being uneasy. But if the v2 was pushing upto 90hz eith dual hdmi then its just a matter of debugging DP setup.

You donā€™t pay ahead for the 8K if you pre-ordered the 8K X, some people asked if they could keep the 8K instead of sending it back once the 8K X is ready, and Matthew confirmed you could pledge $500 extra to keep it if you want. Simple as that. I donā€™t think any company letā€™s you send back a product after you received the replacement unless you give them a credit card to charge if you donā€™t follow through, and thatā€™s totally reasonable imo.

1 Like

If the Standard 8K is deemed underwhelming because of false pretenses who would be the fool to have paid for it as well as the 8K X, LOL.

Yeah I read their explanation. Yet with all the problems theyā€™re facing I really doubt they will deliver as promised. And I was backing the X version, thatā€™s even more uncertain. I decided to just see how this develops and if the kickstarter HMDā€™s are sent out and people are happy I will buy it afterwards. Itā€™s in Pimax interest to have it up for sale ASAP after the kickstarter so I doubt there will be a huge delay. It might cost a bit more but at least Iā€™ll know what Iā€™m buying.

3 Likes

I do understand & of course respect your position. To me tbh I consider even $200 alot of cash. But in my case I had the benefit of seeing for myself the progress of the v2 & only backed a full 8k package. Its the one thing best is where possible to be able to try b4 one buys. Truthfully it would have been interesting to see how many would have bought rift/vive if they had tried it before paying the open consumer version price.

Yeah problem with the 8k X full package that I backed was that itā€™s pretty expensive, mine came down to $1050 including shipping, add 20% tax to that for the regular version, then another 20% when you receive the X and $150 for shipping the regular version back to China, youā€™re looking at about $1600 and you really donā€™t know what youā€™ll be getting. Iā€™m sure itā€™s going to be better than the Pimax 4k but who knows what other options there are in August 2018 when the X is due ā€¦ And who knows if it will ever happen at all. I feel everything is way too uncertain now, geometry is off (due to the lenses), they currently canā€™t get it up to 90 hz, warping issueā€™s, IPD doesnā€™t work yet and who knows if the X will ever even happen at all, so many possible problems down that road ā€¦ No, I think it makes way more sense to see how this develops and then buy it if people like it. But to each their own, I hope Iā€™m wrong and that theyā€™ll be able to deliver an outstanding product in January.

1 Like

You should carefully read answers before you posting something.
ā€œYou can addā€ and ā€œbacker optionsā€ is not same as 'you have to add / you may too".

In this thread backers of X version discussing their options (alternative ways based on customer demands), so asking dumb questions, not properly reading answers and calling backers ā€˜foolsā€™ doesnt shows you smart too.

1 Like

I totally understand your situation with location. Here in New Zealand we have a good reliable auction website. I have always been able to sell things with ease and because its a local you always get paid upfront and rarely have a winning bid fall overā€¦ The 8K X full package is a huge investment after shipping and taxes and it only needs to come with the slightest fault to make it unusable. For example what happens if you get a headset with a coulple of dead pixels? Will that be under warranty? Who pays the shipping? How long will it take to replace? Thats why I dropped down to the 8K headset only to start off. Minimal risk

I plan to take some really good through the lense fottage in 4K and will stress test the hell out of it for ya. @Heliosurge we need to come up with a better way shoot VR video. All the pixelated 10 second clips on youtube are nonsence

Do you have any ideas? I have everything I need at work to make up a camera rig. How about a coved out mannequin head with one of those short throw mobile camera lenses?

2 Likes

Kickstarter is about early adoption. Early adoption usually comes with a degree of risk and requires flexibility to tolerate errors, mistakes or omissionsā€¦ and the price tends to be higher than what makes sense.

Especially with technology and depreciating value of productsā€¦ early adoption of bleeding edge isnā€™t for the faint of heartā€¦For the most part, until kickstarter came about I actually stopped buying technology early due to the rapid value drop and early problemsā€¦I only make exception where I think it is an item that will have significant impact.

Some people prefer certainty and that is fair enough and understandable.

I made my decision to buy an 8k (X) in anticipation mid year due to the lack of 200 fov vr devices available to the general public (usable with steam and the other vr standards)ā€¦ To me Pimax is the only thing that comes remotely even close to what I am seekingā€¦ (although integrated cameras for augmented would have probably made it the Unicorn)ā€¦

You seemed to be a fan of 110 fov, so I really couldnā€™t see you ever being happy with 200 fov in this current climateā€¦ My guess is you might revisit the 8k X in about 2-3 years as it is likely to be a lot more cost effective (especially if competitors start uptaking 200fov) and video cards might be able to handle it then. (although they would also be working on ā€˜16kā€™ by then)ā€¦

1 Like

Well a camera thatvis small enough as the team mentioned big cameras are difficult. Now a hollowed out manekin head with the eye removed for camera with good specs for res should work well.

The price itself is not the issue, Iā€™m a millionaire, LOL, seriously. But I just feel stupid throwing $1600 at something that I donā€™t even know will work for me.

1 Like

Figured you had decent coin to reveiw the E3. :v::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

There are plenty of Millionaires that are misers and in a lot of cases, that is why they are Millionaires. It is more that in a few years the price for these items will be significantly dropped anywayā€¦so you can probably have your cake and eat it too for minimal fuss.

But as I said, your position on the 110 fov made me think that a competitor should be able to come up with a true 4k 110fov within the next year which would probably suit your needs (but not mine). I like poker so I tend to look at things from a risk/reward scenario.

1 Like

Haha I wouldnā€™t exactly fit that description, I can tell you that much :wink: But for instance I bought Nolo on kickstarter, it turned out to be a total bummer and I felt stupid for buying it. Iā€™m afraid that itā€™s going to happen again with the Pimax 8k, so Iā€™ll wait and if others like it, Iā€™ll buy it then. Why take the risk, just to get it a month earlier than everybody else ?

Not sure why you think I like 110 Fov. In fact why would anybody prefer that over 200 FoV ? I only said it would be nice to have an extra set of lenses that could double the resolution in exchange for half the FoV.

I figure If I hollow out the back and make a phone holder behind the eye with the correct short throw lense it would be consistent

1 Like