8k Plus - What do you want to know?

Hi!

Finally I have time to work on my first impressions video of the 8k Plus. Wanted to ask here: what interests you the most for that video? What questions do you NEED answered?

Bye, Sebastian

14 Likes

Hello Sebastian.
Is there any distortion improvement?
Sweviver thinks that almost nothing changed for that.

5 Likes

How is the upscaling compared to the old 8k?
How is the clarity compared to the 5k+?

4 Likes

Hey Sebas! I remember you were one of the few reviewers who even noted the latencies of the 8k (the ā€˜moving world problemā€™ as you called it). Of course Iā€™d like to know how that changed it. Does the upscaler enable/disable have any effect on this?

The distortions, I guess nothing changed because it still uses the same lenses?

Performance, I think this is a major concern. The theory is that you almost wonā€™t need SS because of the high resolution but is this correct? Does high SS improve the picture substantially? What is the best balance between resolution/performance?

And most importantly, I know itā€™s not very scientific, but Iā€™d just like to hear your honest opinion after a few days of gaming with it, how the VR world ā€˜feelsā€™ to you. Is it responsive, geometrically correct, do you feel youā€™re actually in the VR world or does it feel more like you more like looking into it instead of really being in it (which, to me, is the main difference between the 5k+ and the Index).

13 Likes

Please compare best possible 8K+ image quality smoothness etc to the Reverb , when the reverb has 180% ss , probably need it set at small fov to be fair

3 Likes

Hows the new studio coming?

Ok so 8K+ , I cant remember if you were one to have IPD issues and eye strain with the 8K and 5K+, Even with all the ā€œfixesā€ for eye strain/IPD issues for the ol school Pimaxes I could never adjust out the IPD to get it just right, it was always just a little off to where most games I suffered eye strain, but never in the Vive OG or PSVR, so tell us if the 8K+ is plagued with these issues. Thank you sir!

5 Likes

Things i would love to hear are how much better are the panels compared to 5k+, 8k & even other headsets?
Does the general quality feel like it has improved? ieā€¦ plastic quality, foam quality.
How is the comfort, build quality & audio quality of the strap?
Does anything else feel like it has improved ieā€¦
Does it feel more comfortable in regards to eyestrain, world scale, colours/blacks, edge distortion, anything which bothered you before?

If it still has some of the original 5k+/8k niggles, are they outweighed by its improvements & would you consider making it your new daily headset?

5 Likes

@mixedrealityTV
Distortion, black levels, pic quality vs performance compared to 5k+ and Index.

6 Likes

Some people reported slight eyestrain using index didnā€™t they? Indexs displays are canted by 10 degrees and Pimaxs around 30 degrees, so they might be angled little bit too far inward on Pimax. (A lesser angle would result in less fov though)

2 Likes

@mixedrealitytv @Sweviver black levels and color reproduction compared to 5K XR and Odessey+, what causes eyestrain and what has been done to address eye strain besides software ipd.

2 Likes

He is currently reviewing the 8k+ not the 8kX. So he canā€™t disable the upscaler. But a great question for an 8kX review.

5 Likes

ah yeah, I think I read somewhere he received the X, but youā€™re right, heā€™s at least now reviewing the plus. Well then just the latency on the plus.

2 Likes

Does this already come with the new cushion and headstraps? If yes, how does it compare to the 5k+ regarding comfort?
That would imho be the most interesting thing. Am pleased with the 5k+ optics-wise - just wish it were more comfortable for longer usage.

1 Like

It would be interesting whether the small/medium/large fov has an effect on the perceived sharpness of the image. Technically this might be possible for the 8k+ as the 2x2560x1440, when upscaled to a smaller area could lead to a sharper image.

1 Like

Also interesting: Is the 8k+ essentially the same hardware as the 8k X, just with a different firmware that disables DSC? So could the 8k+ be upgraded to an 8kX, e.g. by paying for some ā€œunlock codeā€? Or is the used chipset different (e.g. without DSC capabilities)?

According to Kevin the hardware is not the same

6 Likes

I would like to see it compared to the 8k.

3 Likes

Will it float? Will It Float - The Ultimate Compilation - YouTube

But seriously. Black level improvement? World moving issue and distortions?

Do you think that this is actually the 8K hmd that we backed and payed for? An 2x4K RGB headset CLPL
And that we should be allowed to rma for this one paying only the difference, and not having to buy a new one with a simple discount?
Thank you Sebastian
Looking forward to your review

1 Like

Black lvl, image quality like glare, distorsion and so.

2 Likes