8k+ first user impressions by @neonrazor

I need to really play with it more but its dialing in that sweetspot really in the software, if they could get Steam to support native then I think it would be a 10 (the FOV and SDE is really that good) but its just not quite as crisp(there is really nothing in it) as the index and thats just down to software I think scaling up and down etc.

I cant get across how clean the image is, in steam home, just looking at the horizon and the birds plus the leaves, crisp and clear across the whole FOV really.

13 Likes

I own a Vive and 5K+, but I haven’t tried the Index. Are you saying you feel the Index has a slightly better clarity than the 8K+? Do you feel the Index with a wider FOV would be a 9 or 10?

2 Likes

Right on! How’s the clarity with parallel projections turned on? Probably the biggest drawback when using vorpx is the noticable loss in resolution due to how the alternate projection mode works =/. I had hoped the improved sde would aid in hiding some of that quality loss that was clearly visible in the 5K.

2 Likes

Not sure its clarity as such because you go close to the textures and they look better in the pimax, but viewing things far away is slightly better on the index. Its probably down to settings to be honest and I am waiting for Sweviver to do a video as I bet he knows all the tweaks and settings needed.

if you put the index side by side the only difference is that small amount of colour pop on the index but thats eclipsed massively by FOV. Switching between the two tonight while testing has highlighted how much of a difference it makes. The index does have noticable SDE (only just though) but I cant see it at all on the pimax

Parallel projections does ruin the clarity, no idea why, but it noticeably lowers the resolution.

6 Likes

Awesome info, thanks for sharing! Excited to get mine even more now!

2 Likes

How do you think the end performance compared to the Index - without necessarily going into too much detail on FPS, say with a comparable detail but larger fov how much of an overall smoothness hit do take with the Pimax?

2 Likes

Really not noticed any difference, I have a new AMD cpu and 2070 super but still get a decent performance graph on steam home and no mans sky. Will need one of the reviewers to put it through its paces properly but I have noticed no difference.

4 Likes

Nice to finally see some first Impressions of the 8K+, great summary @neonrazor!

Regarding the brightness/contrast sliders, try running Contrast at +2 and Brightness at -2. Dont forget to click Apply when doing changes. I think it feally helps bringing out the colors.

Also, as suggested in other threads, try bumping up the max recommended resolution value in SteamVR config to 16384. Just add, inside the steamvr brackets:
“MaxRecommendedResolution” : 16384
And restart SteamVR.

This helps the resolution to be correct when using Parallel Projection, especially with Large FOV. Gives more clarity and less jagged edges. You should instantly see the difference.

On distance, 8K+ should have more sharpness and readable text than Index, and not vice versa.

Anyhow, congrats on your 8K+ and enjoy :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Thanks Sweviver, will try these tips tomorrow and give an update.

7 Likes

Thanks for your impressions . What is the actual clarity like ? Do distant objects look clearer and sharper ?

1 Like

WOW… Thanks so much for this write up… I’m even more excited to see this headset and of course the 8KX at CES now! []-)

7 Likes

Does this steamvr 16384 change work on the 5K+ as well? Or is it only for the new headsets?

3 Likes

It works on the 5k+ too. It’s a mandatory tweak in my eyes. Pitool did override it at one point but I’m not sure if new versions of Steam cancel that out. Pimax need to get on the Valve to remove the limit!

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try it, is this a modification you just leave once it’s changed? I play mostly in Normal FOV.

1 Like

Thank’s @Neonrazor or your Pimax 8K+ big test :innocent:
I hope Pimax 8K X same excellent :hugs:

LAURENT/lolof1

Aoluhhsss

3 Likes

I play mostly normal FOV too on 5K+. It’s whenever you would go over the 4082 limit. It makes a good difference in sharpness.

Yes, you just leave it, BUT the annoying thing about Steam is when it updates it can break it again. And they are updating it a lot recently.

Really wants some kind of permanent fix. Especially with all the new 8kx and 8k+ owners soon who will defo be over that limit. Could be a lot of customers with a crippled experience that don’t even know about it and don’t visit forums.

Even if Steam detected a Pimax headset and only lifted it in that case that would work, and wouldn’t compromise their intended index experience.

3 Likes

Indeed it makes a slight difference on 5K+, especially with PP and Large FOV. Its all about the total horizontal resolution (I guess?)

However, the difference seems to be bigger on 8K+, and even more on 8KX where Large FOV and PP really looks bad unless u change the value above 8192.

In most cases, 8192 looks great on all headsets with Large FOV excelt 8KX, but for some reason, i must say you get noticeably more sharpness even on Normal FOV + PP, having the value set to 16384 instead of 8192. I know it doesn’t really make sense, as the horizontal resolution is not above 8192 in this case, but for some reason it all just looks sharper and more detailed, especially on far distance.

This makes me wonder if the MaxRecommendedResolution value really is the horizontal resolution, or if its something else.

Another thing, Aerofly FS2 on 8KX with Normal FOV + PP runs super smooth 75fps having the value set to 8192. Changing it to 16384, you get a slightly better sharpness but it also makes the framerate go below 75fps many times. I some cases down to 60-65fps.
On Large FOV + PP and 16384, fps is down to 50-55fps.

On Large FOV + PP and 8192, the framerate is mostly 65-75, although you get noticeably less sharpness and gauges are not as crisp as on 16384.

All this on a 2080ti, default scenery, in-game SS 1.1 and most on Ultra except trees and buildings.

I really wonder why MaxRecommendedResolution affects the image+performance even when horizontal resolution never is above the set value.

11 Likes

That is quite interesting it’s affecting the sharpness like so. I’ll definitely try it out tomorrow. Do you think it’s possible that SteamVR is updated to be compatible this way for super high resolution headsets like the 8KX, or is it a case where they don’t really care enough about Pimax currently?

2 Likes

Probably because no other headset uses these resolutions anyway…

7 Likes

Mods - Would it be possible to split the thread somehow and make Neonrazer’s headset review a new thread entitled ‘First 8K Plus review’ or similar, because it’s a fair and balanced review, has images and proves all the naysayers wrong that Pimax is inferior to the competition, allegedly lie all the time and won’t ever deliver until 2021 a finished product.

What is so positive for backers is Neonrazer has proof Pimax shipped 8K Plus to early adopters by the end of December 2019 early January 2020, which actually wasn’t far off target since we had the Pimax Day videos that so many people moaned about and had a conspiracy theory it was a ‘cover’ for a product that would never be finished.

It also proof, the wait, was worth it. Thanks to Neonrazer for posting your thoughts and also to Sweviver who somehow hasn’t had a mental breakdown with all the negative ‘shxt posting’ going on for the last few months, predicting Pimax would fail and everyone was a fool who didn’t buy a Valve Index etc.

18 Likes