8k+ First Impressions (Non-simmer)

Yeah just about 64.4.

1 Like

Usually People with larger IPD see less distortion because the eyes dont access areas of the display angle like people of smaller IPDs. Doesn’t mean that you wont notice the distortion, just that it will be minimized

1 Like

No mate. There’s just none. I can see (slight) distortion on for example the Odyssey+ too. And of course on the pimax 5k+ on ‘small’ I can still easily see it. But on the Index there’s just none at all. I don’t know how they did it but they really managed to make it distortion free. From what I understood they used double stacked lenses to fix it, but honestly it’s beyond me how that exactly works and why it solves the distortion.

I don’t think that’s true. I remember a thread were people were posting their IPD’s and I don’t think it mattered in terms of distortion. I have 69.3 myself.

1 Like

Agree to disagree, I do believe it

It will be the same - at least its for me. And the 5k+.
Its easier to see more distortions if your eyes are further away from the lens, if I press my face inside the HMD, the edges also become distortion free… Might try thinner padding some time…
That’s why I keep asking, I guess depending on the physiognomy you will have it easier or harder to get a more distortion free experience - but it is worth tweeking!

2 Likes

I am about 62 for IPD

1 Like

@Djonko there definitely is distortion on Index. Because physics.

However I agree with you Valve have done an incredible job with the lens - from the early release announcements they specifically call out the optics as reducing distortion across the FOV. They can do this by having more control of the way light travels through the optics. But there are limits (hence the smaller FOV).

I said that on balance I prefer my Index and I will keep using it but I still like the Pimax and I am happy to have one.

2 Likes

Well I think both schools of thought may have some degree of truth.

As we have 2 factors that directly influence each other.

Width (ipd)
Depth (pupil to lens distance)

Vertical Pitch could also be a factor as well

3 Likes

That’s why I think having a 3D Scann of the head (or such values), and the distortion perception from a larger group would most likely help determine what if anything can be done to reduce it.

Or ask Pimax what they based the optical design on. Varying the thickness of the comfort padding would give you similar control to Index in terms of distance to lens and I guess you could correct either way from whatever the magic Pimax numbers are.

2 Likes

Indeed as @john2910 the comfort kit creates too much lens to pupil; the og face mask works better for him. While @yen needed increase in pupil to Lens. And others it improves ir for them.

I wonder if I might be like John as I haven’t needed to increase distance on the og face mask with default foam.

2 Likes

I would guess I’d be happy with 8kX in terms of distortion, but guessing on two grand expenditure + factoring in a comfortable strap, decent speakers, lighthouses and eye tracking is a bit :confused:
Also yes, I did tighten the headstrap very tight XD It helped the sweet spot. I had the IPD on the lowest level it would go also, I saw many people saying that elsewhere. As if whatever your actual IPD the best results come from ignoring them. Anyway. Just my experience shared.

2 Likes

The thing is that distortion for me isn’t a problem even with the standard foam. I see “a little” more distortion with standard foam o normal comfort kit, but it isn’t a real problem.

But eyestrain and glare are problems for me. With more distance to the lens now my 5K+ has less glare than PSVR (almosth nothing), and my eyestrain is normal… like with the oculi quest more or less.

I will release my comfort kit mod in a few days. I’m testing it because I achieve to get rid of the pressure in the cheeks too.

4 Likes

Yeah, I can improve my image ‘verity’ considerably by using vertical offset. To the point the Pimax makes the world feel more real than any other headset i’ve tried to date, and by a big margin. Though I haven’t demo’d an Index as yet.

4 Likes

Yen please create a Topic in #ACCESSORIES:Mods3dprinters on your og mod and your new one.

Create topic title and layout as per the existing ones there.

Thanks.

3 Likes

I agree: I think the distortion has something to do with how far your eyes are from the lenses. My eyes are so close, my eyelashes almost touch the lenses.

I don’t see any distortion on Normal FOV, unless I add more thickness to the facepad. Then it’s a terrible problem. I do see some minor distortions with the Wide FOV, so I only use Normal. My IPD is 63 mm, but I set it to 60, which improves the scale of the world (so that it feels normal and not too small).

I think the canted panels make facial positioning very tricky. It’s also possible that some headsets have production variations which may exacerbate the problem.

5 Likes

It’s really interesting how different people’s experiences are, but there are so many factors involved to try and pinpoint the cause of issues.

The standard width facepad is horrifically unusable for me - huge fisheye bloating distortion is the best way I can describe it. There’s no way I could use that, not even for a second.

But double the thickness, and I can barely see any distortion after that - I have to strain my eyes looking left and right to see a hint of it. Looking for it causes discomfort, but not the distortion itself.

Until we have some futuristic system that fully measures and then wraps itself around the user’s head automatically like some sort of VR facehugger (!), we’ll always have these sorts of discrepancies.

I think about the level of customisation that goes into getting glasses or contacts, but then VR is ‘one size fits all’, bar an IPD dial and some software tweaks. The Index ‘distance to lens’ dial sounds very useful, I hope Pimax will incorporate a similar feature in future.

4 Likes

The funny thing about these distortions is that some people seem to think that this is something they will never have to put up with in real life, and therefore it ruins the immersion in VR.

Well, maybe they are lucky and they really don‘t have to, ever.

However, as someone who has been short-sighted, then got Lasik surgery, and in the meantime has grow far-sighted, while needing correction on at least one eye for the distance nevertheless, let me invite you to try my new varifocal reading glasses.

After that wild ride you will never again complain about the distortions on any headset… from my 5k+/8K I do know that I saw a bit of dsitortions but got used to it pretty soon, and even managed to overcome the stereo convergence issue I felt was far more distractive. The brain compensates… but I rarely spend more than 1-2 hours apiece in the headsets… btw, my IPD is 64.

7 Likes

A bit unrelated but regarding the changes in your eyesight. Clearly what I’m about to say probably is not general but I have a sneaky suspicion the optician industry is not always acting in our best interest but in the interest of selling more products. I became slightly short sighted about 30 years ago and the optician prescribed said glasses that seemed a bit too strong for me and gave me a bit of a headache but they said you would get used to them. Well after a couple of years my eyes got slightly worse and the same thing happened - the optician prescribed stronger glasses that seemed a bit too strong. This time though instead of persevering I thought I’m not going to wear any glasses anymore apart from when I really need to (for driving and seeing a film). 30 years on and I’m still using the very first prescription I was given which works perfectly. I can’t help thinking that if I had continued taking the advice of opticians my eyes would have been strained into a very different form than they are in now. I know this is probably not your case and it’s late now anyway but my felling about it quite strong and so always take the opportunity to say this so hopefully others may think twice about the overuse of glasses.

2 Likes

I’ve had a bit more time to mess around today between work calls.

So I have changed my IPD down by 2mm. Which is 2mm different from very other headset I own but - at least for me - the image is much better. TBH I’m so programmed just to set and forget it I didn’t experiment at all before my report yesterday.

I also played some Elite Dangerous which is beautiful (but will benefit from 110hz).

I still dont think it will displace the Index but it’s as close as close can be really - and it’s competing on a different strength.

5 Likes