8K (DCS) and 5K impressions from the show floor

8 Likes

Look at that guyā€™s face. He is blown away. Pretty sure we wll be even more on the final consumer version. GO GO GO PIMAX!

4 Likes

Very nice to see that they also released DCS for demonstration. Itā€™s cool to see the reaction from him. But as I feared, I do not see DCS as a good game for public evaluation, since anyone who experiences it is only flying at a great height, with nothing around the cockpit.I hope to see one with flights near the ground, fighting between planes and something besides flying straight at great height.

6 Likes

I donā€™t get it. We have loads of negative feedback from guys and they all use The Blu. I thought they decided to not show DCS at all until I saw this!
Tracking seems to be working fine too from what I can tell.

I am not say the issues are not there. Pimax definatly are total amateur presenters though.

3 Likes

@Thoemse Could the industry been ā€˜ā€˜blockingā€™ā€™ the chinese VR company just like Hauwei CEO went berserk about US Carrier at CES?

2 Likes

Iā€™m just missing a Lone Echo or at least a game with Revive.

3 Likes

Racing game on first video (8k hmd ) 0:03 mini lcd screen?

1 Like

Very doubtful.

Also, it isnā€™t entirely the carriers fault.
Apparently the carriers need government approval to include phones and the government didnā€™t approve Huawei ( presumably because of potential Chinese government back-doors )
It is more the entire carrier system in the US then the carriers by themselves that are the problem.

2 Likes

Itā€™s Radial G.

4 Likes

Is not it strange that all the VR press has only tested the ā€œThe Bluā€ with these games at their disposal?

Pimax, could you explain this better to us?

@deletedpimaxrep1

3 Likes

I suppose they had problems that they solved as the days passed.
Very cool to see that they got some more games and the 5K running and that it made an impact on people.
Important for backers and youtube users to also see this. You canā€™t deny the reactions in the videos.

1 Like

I agree, but I really would like an evaluation of more specialized people than the general public.

1 Like

Is there any possibility they could fix all of the issues from the CES prototype in matters of days and still shipping this month?

@allocen wait, what? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely No, imo. Q2 2018 is my bet

3 Likes

I guess itā€™s not impossible. The distracting visuals at the edge of the displays could be due to the warping software causing some overlap, which should be readily correctable, if not increasing the thickness of the frame at that point to exclude the extreme edge of the displays would achieve the same goal with minimal loss in FOV. The mura could be something as simple as a faulty panel, bearing in mind that it is still a prototype. Tracking issues could be software, or it could be environmental, considering that there were a lot of other VR demos going on in that area, hell I know that reflections from my wall mounted TV can cause me tracking problems at times.

These things could be fixed almost overnight, but Iā€™d rather they took a little longer and ensured that everything works perfectly. The 80hz/90hz thing doesnā€™t bother me all that much as I doubt that I get much more than 60hz out of most of the games I play anyway. Either way, I very much doubt that any units will ship this month or next, my guess would be for April/May at the earliest.

1 Like

I think they have one 8K headset for demoing :grin: and fill the openings where the sensors for tracking were hence the tracking issues :scream:

Seriously Iā€™am expecting the first test batch in February and delivering maybe May at earliest.

yep.

All told v 5 appears to have a number of hardware changes in it. Heat dissipation. Changes to backlight brightness through addition of more leds. encasing of the trackers ( they plan to have the ir visible through the plastic but looks like plastic not thin enough in those spots to be ideal yet. ) Larger percentage of screen used. List goes on. Any / all of these things can throw up new issues, and some did. No where near a release candidate yet. But confident they will get there.

1 Like

agree on the suspected time-line.

On the tracking there were a few mentions of latency in tracking of the controllers too (although most reviewers did not pay attention because in theBlu you do not really use them). I wonder if the lower current allocation for the tracking sensors as result of the higher current allocation for the backlighting due to the addition of 3 LEDā€™s, or the covering of the holes, can explain that too. If not, wellā€¦ the issue may be more complicated to resolve.

I am agree. But reviewers and journalist did some damaged to Pimax at beginingā€¦ It will be hard to rebuild trust when Vive starts shipping Pro version