8K (DCS) and 5K impressions from the show floor

Do they tested DCS via joystick /hotas or gamepads ?

probaly using gamepad i believe.

As has been mentioned about 1000 times, refresh rate (hz) is not the same as frames per second (fps). Refresh rate is the number of times per second the display is refreshed, this is a static value that is specific to your display hardware (nothing to do with your computers ability to provide the max refresh rate in frames per second). If you are providing less frames than the refresh rate of a device, this results in screen tearing (which is very unpleasant in vr).

This is why reprojection exists, so when the framerate drops below the refresh rate of the display the framerate gets artificially limited to 45fps and every other frame gets extrapolated from the last (essentially, half the frames are ā€œfakeā€). This is why you see judder when looking at your controllers during reprojection.

Essentially, even if your computer is providing 60fps, as you say, that means (if you are using a VIVE) its getting locked to 45fps and reprojecting. If you donā€™t notice this you probably have never played without reprojection and have a very poor baseline experience to compare to.

TL/DR: The VIVE always runs at 90hz (refresh rate) even when your computer canā€™t provide 90fps. So you have no idea what its like to play on a device that runs at 60, 75, or even 80hz (unless you have tried one of the oculus development kits that is, that would be a fair comparison).

5 Likes

thatā€™s not entirely true - if you enabled at steam vr async. reprojection it stays at current fps ( not droping to 45)
most people I know ( including me) using async reprojection for sim games

Open up steam VRā€¦ and mirror your display. Make sure both eyes are selected, turn on any fps monitoring software. Tell me what you see.

Its entirely true.

Source: I spent about 6 hours trying to get fallout 4 vr perfect yesterdayā€¦ I have been messing with this a lot in the last 24hr.

Edit: I am downloading elite dangerous now and Iā€™ll post the results for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know what I see every day- Iā€™m using Vive since day oneā€¦ At Steam VR app - mark ā€œalways reprojectionā€ and mark ā€œasync reprojectionā€. Run game and in game fps counter tell what you seeā€¦

great - I have more that 1000 hours in Ellite Dangeours :slight_smile: ( using my Vive)

Yeah you might be correct, the whole situation is kind of confusing to be fair. At the moment Iā€™m not using reprojection at all, but when I turn on async I definitely didnā€™t notice it dipping below 89-90fps still even when I got the frames to start late. Iā€™ll just agree that you are probably right because Iā€™m not 100% sure.

Yes, I have a Vive, and I play Elite Dangerous (mostly) with asynchronous reprojection on, but I turn interleaved reprojection off. I find that this gives me the best performance without juddering.

I am well aware that refresh rate does not equate to in-game FPS, being an IT engineer for the past 20 years has given me little insights like that :smirk:.

That is right, async attempts to maintain fps at 90 too.

There was a post on reddit by a croteam dev that helps explain it all.

So from that for seated, lower tracking movement games (like Project Cars or ED) Iā€™ve been trying the always-on reprojection instead to save on the slight cpu overhead async would need.

More impressions from CES

2 Likes

Itā€™s a video from Pimax, there could be 100 bad reactions and 5 good ones, what are they going to show?

Yeah, I would be extremely surprised if any of those videos on the Pimax youtube channel are actually genuine reactions. I donā€™t know why they even bother putting them up lolā€¦

Truth any company will usually show positive reactions to their given product.

At Immersed 2016 reactions i can say was genuine & not staged. However there was no negative reactions to the v2; save the issues we had already known(ie ipd not implemented yet & such).

Havenā€™t read all comments(might have been mentioned already ) but did he say right at the end ā€œ8k must be incredibleā€ ? 0.53s
was he testing the 5k ?

Indeed this is exactly the case and Huawei have had there hardware and tech blocked in a number of Countries for the same reason.

Well, I was at the VR Days at Amsterdam - and I can be seen in a short extract in their video.
So you are suggesting that I am an actor ? :joy:

May I politely suggest you grab the following opportunity when they demo the 8K and try it for yourself before claiming that no one would react this way to it?

2 Likes

If thatā€™s the case that would be horrible. Iā€™m notiously not a fan of artificially impeding technological progress. I donā€™t see pimax hurting anybody though.

Hopefully they continue to add more ledā€™s and pushing the fov on the lenses

1 Like

ā€œ8K (DCS) and 5K impressions from the show floorā€ Guess I had you at 8. :wink: