5K+ Tracking Stuttering Only In Games

Hi, so I have a pimax 5k+ using piTool V1.0.1.180.Beta, and the HMD has firmware V2.1.255.244

I am using 2 V1 HTC base stations.

When I sit in the default pimax screen (the barren moon/planet), or the vive empty space with the concentric cricles, and look around, everything is perfectly smooth.

When I run any games, I get lots of little stutters. BUT the stutters only happen when I move my head - they don’t happen when I keep my head still.

I’m running at Normal FOV and 90hz - When I check my frame timing, it’s sitting comfortably between 6.5 and 8ms. There are no spikes recorded during the stutters.

I’ve tried turning smart smoothing on, but it makes 0 difference. (since I’m displaying a solid continuous 85 - 90 fps anyway)

I’ve tried different USB ports, but that doesn’t seem to change it.

Any idea what could be the issue here?

EDIT: Just my computer specs for reference:
Intel i7 8700k
Ausus Mboard (there are no led light settings in BIOS)
32GB ram
GTX 1080Ti graphix

2 Likes

Maybe handy to know the specs of your pc?

1 Like

You might try PiTool .144 or even .132 and downgrade the firmware if it helps. I had the same problem on the latest beta and had to revert back to PiTool .132.

Thanks, updated with that

1 Like

https://community.openmr.ai/t/download-all-pitool-installers-here/11382

1 Like

Okay so - I tried the newer V197, and the V132_212 which was suggested here - And the 197 was just as bad as the current.

The V132 was definitely better, although not completely there.

Would would be the next step?

first of all welcome to the forums.

Your issue sounds similar to what i noted here
https://community.openmr.ai/t/espire-1-releasing-tomorrow-potential-issue/23878/22?u=drowhunter

the latest nvidia drivers were causing me issues try using the nov 4th or may be one after that

but the one’s from the 26th broke certain games for me.

1 Like

Looks like this?
https://community.openmr.ai/t/jitter-after-updating-to-pitool-1-0-1-197-and-firmware-m248/23705

2 Likes

I had the same issue, no matter which pitool version or firmware etc. I contacted support, they tried some more things but in the end they concluded an RMA was necessary. I’m now awaiting a replacement unit. (also a 5K+ btw)
so I’d suggest making a ticket for this.

1 Like

Ooh yes exactly! So did closing pitool before loading games fix the issue for you completely?

EDIT: No didn’t work for me - Being in V.132 is the closest to a solution I’ve got - It works perfectly in some games, and much better but still a bit jittery in others.

4 Likes

I am glad to hear you are making progress :+1:

2 Likes

Exactly the same issue for me!
Better with Pitool 132
Hope that the new Pitool that will be released on 2019-12-13 will solve this annoying issue !

2 Likes

Same issue here with Pitool 180 & 192, I know more people with same issue.

For me worked back to pitool 144.

Try it.

2 Likes

There is unfortunatly no improvment for me with the new beta pitool 245 :frowning:

Weird. I just heard someone said:
“OMG guys, this is HUGE. Initial testing the fcking stutter is gone… I’ve been playing in 120hz and it’s BUTTER”
:thinking:

3 Likes

I did not try with 120hz. I just try with 90hz normal FOV … I will try it…

2 Likes

It still happen in my case even @120hz. I did the update of the headset after restarting the service and the software pitool and I also install last nvidia drivers.

I also have the same issue and it is definitely performance related.

In Rick & Morty for example I get around 6-7ms and it seems to have stable 90 fps. But in reality I don’t have stable fps when I take a look at my fpsVR Overlay I can see that sometimes the fps counter changes just for a really short moment (I can’t even say to what number because its happening so fast). But that moment is creating the stutter that you experience.

I’ve then switched to 72 hz mode and I’ve no stutter at all!!! Because it is able to render at 72 fps at all times.

I’ve also tried out Skyrim which I play with 120 hz so that motion smoothing is always on 60fps. And also no stutter at all!

So the conclusion is that something on the pitool is causing some weird missing frames because with 6-7ms it should be easily be capable to render 90fps, but unfortunately right now you need more like 4-5ms in order to have stutter free 90 fps… (as a comparison: For my Oculus everything until 10 ms is totally fine.)

I have a 1080ti and I’m using the latest Pitool 245 and the newest nvidia driver 441.66

2 Likes

Yeah they really need to address the issue. It’s been over 6 months since a stable pitool release. Id roll back but then I cant even play new games such as stormland (what’s the point of enthusiast headsets without enthusiast games!). Id honestly wager the majority of people experience it, I see maybe a handful of forum and Reddit users not complaining about it

2 Likes

@General_Jeno did you get your replacement? If so, did it fix the stutter?