5k+ Black Dot Pattern Thread. Post here with pics

Pimax 5k+ owner with black dot issue…
Supen created. Request for replacement looks to be denied…

9 Likes

yes terrible,that one need to be replaced by pimax…

2 Likes

Dark%20dots

3 Likes

Here’s mine

2 Likes

Here’s mine, is it not normal? It’s hard to capture, it’s slightly more noticeable in person but only in solid colors

1 Like

Here is my 5K+ with black dots:

Compared to my Vive Pro:

7 Likes

Try a different color background… red seems to show it the best…

Yes it is hard to capture… but I can see the pattern in yours…

I doubt they would replace it, since it isn’t actually a defect. That is just how the 5K+ panels are. The dots are always there and are most visible on solid colors (especially red).

I can’t verify but I recall reading that they started using a different panel that has no/reduced black dots.

2 Likes

How could you achieve this clarity? What are you using to capture these images?

1 Like

Exactly.
I would like that newer panel (if it is true) because the dots are distracting and immersion breaking IMO…

It may not bother some people, but I think it is absolutely the worst thing about the 5k+ headset… otherwise it’s fantastic…

1 Like

Yes I agree, this may be a property of the panels, but I would compare it to having a (albeit small) dead pixel every 6th pixel. It bothers me so much that I’m back to the Vive Pro for now. The Pro has a very consistent SDE which you can easily ignore.

I don’t like that we’re playing the panel lottery here. No way to know which one you’re going to get. I would go as far as calling the one without dots the 5K++. This is unfair to the backers.

I’m using a Sony A6000 with a very sharp lens & manual focus. I used focus peaking to find the sweet spot and focus on the pixels.

5 Likes

WIN_20190123_11_58_16_Pro
Took mine on the PVRHome “planet scenery” as the detail of the purple/magenta planet on the horizon.

4 Likes

It’s very worst than dead pixels, thousands of dead pixels

7 Likes

Here is what I captured from SweViver’s video.

3 Likes

Pimax said they would replace 5K+ HMD’s plagued with the black dots

EDIT: I just saw the post where Sean Huang said that Pimax WILL NOT replace your 5K+ plagued with the black dot PATTERN issue, but will replace the 5K+ plagued with “BLACK DEAD PIXELS”… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The new replacement has blur black layer instead, but difficult to see black dot.

If you get headset with some black layer, although get new the headset, not sure will get better. So check for sure.

black dot can see on red , orange , brown, white for me.

5 Likes

That would likely be a positive thing. It could potentially diminish the 5K+'s SDE, like the Odyssey+. Also, some people have claimed the 5K+'s LCD panels are “too sharp” or that they could see the individual pixels. A little blur could be a good thing.

6 Likes

Yes that’s exactly how I would compare it to the Vive Pro/Odyssey. The pixels on the 5K+ look great on close-up photos, but on normal viewing distance the pixels are very sharp and blocky. That makes it more difficult to ignore them.

3 Likes

Watching a Video with Virtual Desktop. The vertical dark strip is coming from not able to sync my mobile phone with the refresh rate of the Pimax Display - you don’t see it with your eyes. But you will see the dots.

5 Likes

Try the App “Filmic Pro” it is capable of any refresh rate, just in case.