4k Upgrade 8K vs 5K+? Yes I've seen videos etc

Yeah I would only use a setup like that for positional tracking for my head using ps3/webcam and IR leds. Thanks for input though I think I’m going to hold off and see what comes available this year. The 4DOF head tracking is the 4ks biggest downside for me

2 Likes

Keep in mind the Artisan might be good to consider as well.

1 Like

I will keep that in mind. If anyone else has direct experience with the 4k and these other HMDs more input on image quality are welcome.
The other option I was maybe considering was the HP reverb but didn’t sound like much of a step up from the 4k for the price point.

Is there in for on exactly what type of display is in the 4k e.g. pentile, RGB

The pimax 4k has and RGB Rainbow display made by Sharp. It’s been awhile but if memory serves right it was believed to be the same 4k RGB Rainbow Sharp panel used in the first Xperia 4k phone. 60hz panel.

I have a p4k as well. We identified the panel long ago with other members like Sjefderk(sp?)

@Century has the 4k as well and posted through lens pic conparisons.

1 Like

Yeah I vaguely remember those threads from the long lost forum.

So overall you would agree that I would probably be disappointed in picture quality with the 5k+ /8k for mainly IL2 /elite dangerous where spotting distant objects and reading gauges are a huge part of the experience?

2 Likes

Yes, you will definitely be disappointed in terms of image quality: clarity, SDE if you go from 4K to 5K + or 8K.
In everything else there will be only pluses: tracking, FOV, Hz, etc.

I would say that at the moment, the Pimax 4K extension is the new 8K + and 8KX headsets with real 4K RGB panels.
I looked through a lot of comparisons at the moment so that it is easy to understand :beers:

(Switching from 4K would be good for og8K if it had 4K RGB panels, and not pentail-like ones.)

You can look at my not-so-good comparisons through the lens of 4K vs 8K, obviously 4K is superior to 8K in image quality (SDE and clarity):

2 Likes

Yeah I was just looking through that thanks century it really showed how much more SDE the 8k has.

Looks like for the time being I will try to setup 6DOF head tracking with my 4K and possibly keep an eye out for a used HP reverb. Save my money to build a new PC and get a worthy HMD when it finally comes.

If you ever end up with an 8KX a similar comparison would be great as pretty well all the material compares the 5K+ vs 8k, 8K+, 8kX while ignoring the 4k.

3 Likes

I couldn’t fully use Pimax 4K because of its minuses.
The main minus for me is, of course, ghosting.
Then a small FOV, lack of tracking, drift, etc.

The last time I started 4K, my FOV for some reason became somehow indecently small, as if there were black bounding edges on the edges …

In general, I use it only for comparisons now.

Yes, I’m waiting for 8KX, I ordered it back in November.
Of course I will make a comparison as far as I can :beers:

2 Likes

That’s great looking forward to it. I have gotten over the limited FOV ghosting etc for the most part but want at least equal picture quality if I am going to invest in an HMD that does not have these drawbacks. As far as the reduced FOV with 4k I remember reading something about certain versions of piplay/firmware or trying to use pitool as causing this. There is supposedly something in the profile.json I think it was to deal with this.

Thanks again! It’s hard staying patient waiting for VR to reach it’s inevitable potential.

2 Likes

By the way, now I use Odyssey +, bought at a discount for $ 229 (often there are such discounts).

And I could say that it will be a good substitute for 4K, if you do not need the highest clarity.

Samsung did a miracle, in my opinion, hiding the SDE :beer: :beer: :beer:
FOV is pretty good - 104 degrees horizontally.
I tried car simulators in it - and this is not bad in fact.

If with 8K I had a mess of pixels on the horizon, then with the Odyssey + I don’t have this.
Yes, everything is a little bit more murky, but it is more cinematic, and it’s easier to get used to it.

After some time, you stop noticing less clarity.

But I again postponed auto-sims until the arrival of 8KX.
Still, I want a higher clarity.

But in everything else, Odysseus + is just fire :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

2 Likes

I had the 4K, 5K+ and 8K. Even though the 5K+ and 8K dont have an advantage over 4K regarding the SDE, the “overall” picture quality of the 5K+ and 8K absolutely blows away the 4K. I did enjoy the 4K’s minimal SDE, your eyes tend to get used to the ghosting and low brightness and low FOV of the 4K. If your not into movies I think the 5K+ or Artisan will serve you well.

2 Likes

Yes, if you take into account the general use of the headset, then almost any headset will be better than Pimax 4K.

Pimax 4K is not full VR.
This is only a clear picture and minimal SDE. In all other respects, he loses to any headset.

But for simulators, clarity and SDE Pimax 4K will win, I think, for some.

3 Likes

Yes I don’t really have the space right now for true VR experience and am more than happy to play seated SIM games for now. I 99% play IL2 and am fine to continue that. The ghosting I have gotten used to by slow smooth head movements and luckily it has a recenter view button to counteract the drift. The lack of 6DOF head tracking does suck but can be overcome with driver4vr with my previous testing just takes time and effort to set up.

Biggest thing for me in these types of games is being able to spot and distinguish air or ground targets at a distance which by the sounds of it the 4k will be best at for the time being and why I would consider the reverb for the right price.

If I wanted to play true room scale VR / games with controllers I would maybe even lean towards a used rift/vive/psvr setup for about half the cost of the pimaxes.

I guess the next logical question becomes how disappointed I would be with the 8k+ picture over the 4k as I would take a slight picture quality drop to have these other downsides of the 4k dealt with.

1 Like

HP Reverb with a resolution of 2160x2160 RGB per eye should clearly be slightly superior to Pimax 4K 1920x2160 per eye with upscaling.

8KX and 8K + are not inferior (and somewhere even surpass) the HP Reverb in clarity and SDE, as I noticed from the current comparisons through the lens.

Accordingly, 8K + and 8KX should be better than Pimax 4K, in any aspect.

Of course, I want to compare directly with Pimax 4K.
Hope @Sweviver someday makes this comparison.
(Maybe he still hasn’t got Pimax 4K?)

1 Like

Awesome thanks for the help and I definitely look forward to some further comparisons. Might wait to see if an 8k+ or 8kx comes up used eventually vs jumping on the 5k+ or 8k right now.

3 Likes

That is difficult to say as there are so many other improvements that you might not be as bothered by a bit of downgrade in static image quality. For example myself? I am quite happy overall as the quality drop is not overbearing like going from p4k to og vive and og rift.

I would keep an eye out for possible events where you might be able to try a pimax headset. As it is very subjective with peoples preferences.

Yes some tough decisions ahead. There is also a reverb for sale locally with controllers for $650 that is kind of tempting to have 6DOF tracking similar clarity and a higher resale down the line when it’s time to upgrade.

I would kind of lean towards that over the 5k+ with nolovr which I’d take over the 8k I think. The fact that the artisan is also available now for about the same price makes it tougher. I think going to the larger FOV would make it much harder to go back to something with less but am also worried I will be disappointed with picture quality. The 8kx would definitely be the best but not sure I can justify double the money right now.

I will definitely keep my eyes open for an event around Toronto area to try them out. From my research it looks like if you can deal with the intricacies of owning a pimax and are mainly playing seated Sims vs room scale VR there simply won’t be a better option any time in 2020.

1 Like

How about waiting for 5K Super?
New housing, 180hz, MAS included, just $100 difference. I think this is a better solution if you want MAS.
BTW, is 8K still available? It was discontinued a while ago AFAIK.

1 Like

is the 5k+ with nolo a better price than an artisan with nolo?