3090 Ti + Pimax = Broken?

thank you very much :blush:

Still no solutionā€¦.

1 Like

Donā€™t do it, Iā€™m sure Pimax will fix their issue, maybe they will also fix that bug that Luke Ross pointed out as well, while theyā€™re at it.

Lol, Iā€™m sure Pimax compatibility is the first thing on nVidiaā€™s mind when they release a new video card. :rofl:

I have the same 10936 error with my 3090 TI Founders. Optical cable will be here tomorrow and I will update with results.

2 Likes

So I swapped the original 3 plug cable for the new 2 plug optical cable and changed nothing else, no restart, driver update, etc. Pitools detected the headset without issues and everything works.

1 Like

Congrats @Mistafreeze

I always suspected it was a cable signal problem
Thanks @cruuser_icu and @zuiquan1
has been confirmed
My optical cable will be ordered on May 13th
waiting to be shipped

The 4090s could be here as soon as July so Iā€™d just send back the 3090 ti and wait

@Butosai Yes, I did already send the 3090 Ti back. As mentioned in the OP I had only purchased it on the off-chance that 40xx series GPUs (or AMD equivalents) would be massively constrained in terms of availability like our current gen cards were. If that does happen, hopefully Iā€™ll be able to eventually pick up a 3090 Ti for cheap as a stop-gap.

@KING0104 Let us know if your optical cable solves the problem. It would be strange if it did, since many of us who have tried to upgrade to the optical cable find that it is non-functional at 90hz and creates artifacts in the HMD even at 75hz. ( https://community.openmr.ai/t/6m-fibre-optic-cable-snow-in-image-and-no-90hz/38585/5 )

1 Like

I ended up getting a 2m extension and a lindy repeater for use with the stock cable. Seems to work well so far even @ 90Hz. Its not been 100% trouble free however, i have had a couple of times where when im playing DCS the screen just goes off completely with no backlight, the sound is still there. It would then recover around 1 min later. But as its not happened many times i have coped with it.

2 Likes

So any updates on this issue yet? Any consistent solution found? Iā€™m (of course) hoping for the release of next-gen cards sooner rather than later, but if manufacturing or supply doesnā€™t work out as hoped I would like to be able to invest in the fastest factory overclocked 3090 Ti that I can find at that point.

@mr_spongeworthy
I havenā€™t received my 6M cable yet
Did you change the PCIE X16 of the BIOS to GEN3?
After changing to ā€œGEN3ā€, plug in the optical cable and try

My 3090TI has been sitting in the box for over a month
I read the article and judged that it was an optical cable problem

you test
I havenā€™t received my 6M cable yetā€¦Iā€™ve been waiting for a long time

Getting super frustrated with the situation. The issue has been known for over 2 months and no serious action has been taken. I have also been waiting for over a month to get my replacement cableā€¦ itā€™s really disappointing.

thereā€™s a saying, itā€™s the pcb problem of 3090ti, driver update wonā€™t be able to fix it.

How could this be possible? You mean to say itā€™s likely this wonā€™t get resolved?

Iā€™m not sure, I was just sharing what I heard. I also got 3090ti and 8kx on hand.

and if itā€™s a problem can be solved by driver update, it wonā€™t take 2 months.

Unless there is no serious effort in trying to resolve this - which from the look of it seems to be the case. Over months I am getting the same response on my ticketā€¦ ā€žRD is looking at and will have a solution soonā€¦ here have a $20 voucherā€œ. Apart from feeling insulted by the proposition that $20 will make up for a product thst cost me +$1,500 that has been falsely advertised to be compatible with the Rtx 30 series - the fact that there are no details on timeline, the actual issue and the steps that are being taken to resolve this is beyond acceptable. Honestly - I wouldnā€™t recommend pimax or their products to anybody given the experience I had. Even an open order has been pending for 2 months waiting to be deliveredā€¦ with the same excuseā€¦lockdownā€¦ ironically the lockdown ended on the 1st of June and the order hasnā€™t been shipped yet.

Iā€™d like to add that the escalate function on tickets is great in principal but has no impact whatsoever with Pimax. The response time is slower and no resolution is being provided. Pointlessā€¦

So, I just received my 6M cable and i confirm that it now works fine with my 3090ti. It is then a cable incompatibility problem.
So if you just spent a few k$ on a new 3090ti, just add 150$ for a 6M cable.
It is not an ideal workaround but is probably faster than waiting for a driver/firmware update from Nvidia that may never come.

It would be great if Pimax confirms that the 6M cable works fine however. Or maybe they dont want to say because they are concerned that users ask for free cable after that :wink:

1 Like

Pimax has asked me to test the 8KX plugged directly into the 3990 Ti without the extension and lindy repeater again, and now it does not work, I get error 10936 with a white led on the HMD.

I have edited my original test post to update this new finding.
It seems the lindy repeater is whatā€™s making the standard cable work by boosting the signal.

1 Like