3090 Ti + Pimax = Broken?

Hello… I’m have the same error (10936) with my brand new 3090ti (Gigabyte Aorus). My 8kx was working just fine with my other card… Looking forward to a solution…

1 Like

Just in case anyone wants to try something different, the original pitool and firmware versions I had installed when I installed the 3090Ti and everything worked except there was no 90Hz refresh.

• Firmware version of 8KX v2.1.255.295
  • Pitool version v1.0.2.087
1 Like

My guess is that neither of my devices are ‘newer’ models. My 5K+ was purchased in August 2019 and my 8K-X in October 2021.

I have since tested the 3090 Ti one more time, making sure to try all three DP ports. No go on either one of my HMDs. Pop the 3080 Ti back in, and everything works. I’ll probably just return the card next week and hope the 4000 series (or AMD equivalent) doesn’t end up being unobtainable for years.

Yes I have a 3090ti and have no issues with it.

Bigger question is was the 3090ti’s incompatibility advertised anywhere before this? Its literally the first I am hearing of it and although I got lucky with mine, I never would have purchased it in the first place if I read it wasn’t compatible.

1 Like

My official ticket thread from Pimax support also states that there is a known incompatibility with the 3090 Ti. I bet it’s down to certain manufacturers or specific card sub-models though; since some people appear to be able to use them without needing to take any special steps.

1 Like

Anybody have a breakthrough with this issue yet?

NVIDIA has sort of acknowledged the issue on the release notes of the latest driver (link). Not just with the 8kx but with the rift s too. Also apparently, the G2 has the same problem in some configurations as reported on some forums.
So, now i guess we have to wait for NVIDIA

1 Like

Not just ‘sort of’, they even specifically mention Pimax. Nice find!

2 Likes

Looks like im not updating my drivers anytime soon because my 3090ti works perfectly fine. For those with issues have you tried rolling back drivers?

For reference I am on 512.16 with an EVGA 3090ti and an original 8kx, not the “upgraded” one.

1 Like

Are you using an optical cable?

Yeah I have the 6m fiber optic cable from Pimax.

1 Like

cruser_icu
Are you using an optical cable?

1 Like

I know that this sounds ridiculous, but go into your bios and find the setting for your ‘initial display output’ and change it from ‘auto’ to ‘pci-e’.
I’ve always had to play ‘whack-a-mole’ on my video card’s inputs to get my headsets recognized. By changing this setting, I no longer have this issue. Try it and see if it is also relevant to this issue?
Good luck!
Running a Strix (ASUS) 3090ti on a gigabyte mb.

3 Likes

No i’m using a 3 meter extension with a Lindy repeater and the standard cable.

1 Like

Tried everything - but absolutely no progress. Super concerned we are getting into a stalemate on this issue as I haven’t heard from pimax anymore… so far from what I can tell only the old headsets kind off worked with the Rtx 3090 ti or did I miss something?

Well in Pimax’s defense, this does seem more like a problem on Nvidia’s end, since it’s not even specific for Pimax headsets but for others as well. So it does seem the ball is in Nvidia’s court. Which I think is a good think, I have more confidence in Nvidia finding a solution anytime soon than Pimax.

2 Likes

Did you add more repeaters?
LINDY 38415 12m DisplayPort 1.4

2 Likes

nice to know as my 5k xr isnt performing too well either with my 3090ti

1 Like

Please do not install the repeater with Lindy DisplayPort 1.4
3m extension cord for standard cable only,
Can 8kx connect to 3090ti?
test test
thank you very much

No, I use just 1 repeater. Tested and not working plugged directly into the 3090Ti.
I get error 10936 with a white led on the HMD.