3090 Ti + Pimax = Broken?

I ended up getting a 2m extension and a lindy repeater for use with the stock cable. Seems to work well so far even @ 90Hz. Its not been 100% trouble free however, i have had a couple of times where when im playing DCS the screen just goes off completely with no backlight, the sound is still there. It would then recover around 1 min later. But as its not happened many times i have coped with it.

2 Likes

So any updates on this issue yet? Any consistent solution found? I’m (of course) hoping for the release of next-gen cards sooner rather than later, but if manufacturing or supply doesn’t work out as hoped I would like to be able to invest in the fastest factory overclocked 3090 Ti that I can find at that point.

@mr_spongeworthy
I haven’t received my 6M cable yet
Did you change the PCIE X16 of the BIOS to GEN3?
After changing to “GEN3”, plug in the optical cable and try

My 3090TI has been sitting in the box for over a month
I read the article and judged that it was an optical cable problem

you test
I haven’t received my 6M cable yet…I’ve been waiting for a long time

Getting super frustrated with the situation. The issue has been known for over 2 months and no serious action has been taken. I have also been waiting for over a month to get my replacement cable… it’s really disappointing.

there’s a saying, it’s the pcb problem of 3090ti, driver update won’t be able to fix it.

How could this be possible? You mean to say it’s likely this won’t get resolved?

I’m not sure, I was just sharing what I heard. I also got 3090ti and 8kx on hand.

and if it’s a problem can be solved by driver update, it won’t take 2 months.

Unless there is no serious effort in trying to resolve this - which from the look of it seems to be the case. Over months I am getting the same response on my ticket… „RD is looking at and will have a solution soon… here have a $20 voucher“. Apart from feeling insulted by the proposition that $20 will make up for a product thst cost me +$1,500 that has been falsely advertised to be compatible with the Rtx 30 series - the fact that there are no details on timeline, the actual issue and the steps that are being taken to resolve this is beyond acceptable. Honestly - I wouldn’t recommend pimax or their products to anybody given the experience I had. Even an open order has been pending for 2 months waiting to be delivered… with the same excuse…lockdown… ironically the lockdown ended on the 1st of June and the order hasn’t been shipped yet.

I’d like to add that the escalate function on tickets is great in principal but has no impact whatsoever with Pimax. The response time is slower and no resolution is being provided. Pointless…

So, I just received my 6M cable and i confirm that it now works fine with my 3090ti. It is then a cable incompatibility problem.
So if you just spent a few k$ on a new 3090ti, just add 150$ for a 6M cable.
It is not an ideal workaround but is probably faster than waiting for a driver/firmware update from Nvidia that may never come.

It would be great if Pimax confirms that the 6M cable works fine however. Or maybe they dont want to say because they are concerned that users ask for free cable after that :wink:

1 Like

Pimax has asked me to test the 8KX plugged directly into the 3990 Ti without the extension and lindy repeater again, and now it does not work, I get error 10936 with a white led on the HMD.

I have edited my original test post to update this new finding.
It seems the lindy repeater is what’s making the standard cable work by boosting the signal.

1 Like

Also having connection issues as HP Reverb G2 is included
And someone can connect without updating any drivers

PCIE GEN1 : 2.5Gb/s per lane
PCIE GEN2 : 5Gb/s per lane
PCIE GEN3: 8Gb/s per lane
BIOS default is GEN1
BIOS needs to change PCIE X16 to GEN3
Some computers may judge that the data flow is automatically set to GEN3

Typical cable has a maximum effective bandwidth of 25.92 Gbps
3090TI output data signal may exceed 25.92 Gbps
3 meters long and reduce the transmission of data signals
It is possible that the output data signal disappears within 3 meters
Resulting in undetectable helmets

But the effective bandwidth of the fiber optic line is 32Gbps
The signal “attenuation” after it can transmit up to 100 meters
So if you switch to a fiber optic cable, you can detect the helmet.

The only thing that can be explained is that the general dp cable can’t bear the data traffic of 3090ti
In addition, the BIOS default is GEN1, which causes the signal to not be output normally.
Need to manually change PCIE X16 to GEN3 to make the signal output normally

Boldly assume that the data traffic of the 4090 graphics card exceeds that of the 3090TI
Ordinary cables may not detect helmets
It must be matched with an optical cable that can withstand large data traffic.

My 6M cable was ordered on May 13
Haven’t received it yet…

I received the fiber optic cable today
Plug and play without any settings
Happy using 3090TI

You do know that this isn’t true, right?

Both cables are standardised DP1.4 and using DSC (compression) to fit the signal into the bandwidth constraint of the DP1.4 standard.

The optical cable does have way more physical bandwidth capability than a copper one and this might help in edge cases such as long distances or in the presence of interference but your above two posts are wrong on every single level, even confusing Gb/s with GB/s.

I appreciate your effort and happy you got your HMD+GPU combo working but please don’t give bad advice.

Feel sorry
After two months of waiting
Happy to write a bunch of articles
Just want to express that the fiber optic cable can be connected to the 3090TI
I translated it with GOOGLE
I don’t know English ~ there may be errors in the text
Please give more advice

Your advice is good - use the optical cable to get an 8KX to recognise a 3090 Ti.

Your reasoning why that is, isn’t correct.

Sorry
Can
Use it just fine ^^ :wink:

This is such, such a weird solution considering that the darn Optical cable is know to NOT work on otherwise perfectly functional equipment. Oh well, I’m waiting it out for the next gen cards at this point. Hopefully.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.