Youtube 8k 360 videos.Pimax 5k+ & 8k

Does anybody try youtube 8k 360 videos on pimax-8k or 5k+. Please give us feed back.

How is clarity. SDE, blurriness, chromatic aberration etc etc…

1 Like

From what I’ve read Pimax can’t do 360 content very well as the huge resolution and FOV ends up looking like 720p or worse. So, blurred.

Jump to 13:44 to Sweviver’ s excellent video:

2 Likes

It depends much on the quality of the 360 content.
I watched this 12K 360 video with my 5K+ and the YouTubeVR player and it was the best 360 video experience I ever had in VR. 4K is blurry, 8K is ok, 12K is amazing.

12 Likes

Yea 4K 360 is actually pretty bad in terms of quality, especially so up close as in a VR headset. It was kinda ok when we had headset displays that didn’t show much detail anyway (Vive etc.) but with the high res units like Pimax headsets this 4K is no way good enough anymore.

Even with my Pimax 4K the experiences were very limited. Only 8K and up came close to what you wanted.

If it’s not 3D there is no depth to it. Me and many other don’t quality 360 video as VR. Instead 360 3D or 180 3D yes.

I wouldnt say its the headset’s fault. Its the recorded content which looks so-so.

I tested an 8K 360 3D video on the XTAL at VRDays, it still looked so-so. We need something like 16K resolution 360 recordings to really make those videos look good on high resolution headsets.

3 Likes

How do I access youtube with my Pimax 4K?

Could you watch the 12K video referenced above on the 8K and the 5K+ and give an opinion on which looks sharper and shows more detail? A major use I have for my Pimax is to review high-res 360 videos and photos. That will go a long way to helping me decide between the 8K and 5K+. Thank you sir!

1 Like

You should be able to use the YouTubeVR app on Steam.

You can also use the Steam Virtual Desktop app. Run Chrome on the virtual desktop and open the video you want to watch in YouTube. Then right click on the video and copy the URL. Then use the function in Virtual Desktop paste the URL intro the video window. It should play the video in VR.

2 Likes

OOh My Vr-Ninja is here…

180 videos will be good in vr at 8k resolution and 360 contents will be good at 16k resolution.

in my opinions vr industry still need some time…e.g. high quality contents, PC hardware,

Well the topic of the thread was how 360 videos look on the Pimax 5k+ and the Pimax 8k headsets so I gave feedback to this question. In general I try to find high quality content in 360 3D (like Felix & Paul Studio) or 180 3D first. With this specific video the missing depth does not matter as you see mainly vast landscapes that you would also not see in 3D in real life.

Do you guys think it would make sense to qualify the quality of 180-360 degress by ppd?

I’ve not watched any since the early cardboard days, but intuitively such a qualification would make considerably more sense, no?

1 Like

MR-Alex, any suggestion how why I’m having troubles playing this? Or settings I should change?

I am playing it downloaded via Virtual Desktop. It plays for a minute or two, okay at times, stuttering a bit at times. The little bit I see is stunning and I want to watch more but it just freezes with just a picture on the screen. No audio but I can still look around but video has stopped.

I have a 1080ti with 16B RAM and Ryzen 7 1700x

Thanks for any help

@MR-Alex I watched the 12K 360 Lake Baidal video with Virtual Desktop on my 5K+. The video clarity is stunning. Yet I can see the whole view is splitted into 3 parts by 2 invisible lines. I am not sure if it’s the editing problem of the original video, or the problem of the player. I have tried other players but they are even worse than Virtual Desktop for this video. What player do you use and how do you set the mode?

I’m using the YouTube VR player and an overclocked 6 Core i7 (4 Ghz) with a 2080 Ti connected to a 200 Mbit/s internet connection. What PC hardware are you using? Is your internet bandwidth high enough (8K is a lot of data)?

1 Like

I used YouTube VR player with no special setting, just selecting 8K resolution manually if the player auto selects a different resolution. Hardware is a 6 core i7@4 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, 2080 Ti (overclocked to 1950 Mhz), 200 MBit/s internet connection.

Youtube VR is not showing in my region so I have to download the video first and play it with video players.

I was using virtual desktop and the video was downloaded. Visually amazing but then it stuttered and froze. 8k works so I guess my rig isn’t powerful enough?

1 Like

You need to download K-lite Codec from here: Download K-Lite Codec Pack
And best use with Wirligig VR video player: http://www.whirligig.xyz/
And choose directshow from video path.

3 Likes

Thank you, I’ll try these recommendations!