Wonder if Vive wireless adaptor would work on pimax

so I read that TPCast was able to run the VIVE with displayport connection on reddit because this guy had a bad cable, with that being said I’m wondering if Pimax would be able to run the VIVE wireless adaptor with a displayport adapter also, what would the limitation of cable vs wireless? it’s not like they provide any tracking right?

1 Like

I’ve wondered about it too , there is not much in the bandwidth requirement between pimax 170* mode and vive pro so maybe some clever hacker could convince the vive wireless adapter to run with a pimax through it’s hdmi , maybe the adapter only does usb2 equiv for the OG vive though .

1 Like

I believe @SweViver has said different headsets often require specifically made Wireless adapters based on one of tge providers. So while possible; it is unlikely.

For example the headset driver needs to know a headset is connected to run. So the wireless adapter program needs to communicate that the headset is connected.

I would suggest contacting the wireless adapter provider & ask if non vive headsets would be compatible.

A lot will depend how intel designed it , the fact that it will work with 2 different headsets already could be promising , I will try it

1 Like

The big problem is powering. All headsets have different amount of power requirements. Vive and Rift differs a lot, which is one of the reasons they needed seperate TPCAST versions with different battery-adapters.

Odyssey is powered by USB only, while Vive Pro is not, and 8K uses external power as well. Thats why the HTC wireless adapter needs a 70Eur adapter. Its most likely a power adapter.

TPCAST general manager already told me that if they want to support Pimax 8K, they need to make a separate version for it. There is no easy “universal” solution unfortunately…

5 Likes

Sweviver the adapter is just a cable with their special plug on the end and I think the wireless adapter is the same for vive pro and OG vive

2 Likes

In that case, it means Vive and Vive Pro uses same amount of power. If u think about it its not that surprising as basically nothing changed except panels and headphones.

1 Like

Real shame if it would not work, i mean i guess that technically its only about receiving and broadcasting a signal? meaning if it would not work its only becouse HTC actively blocks support, i think.

I hope Pimax can announce when they would start selling theirs, an honest estimation, so i know if its worth the wait. i prefer not to buy the one of HTC.

1 Like

What’s the power requirement for the 8k ? 12v 1.5A is what the vive/vive pro use

Sending/receiving the signal… and powering the unit :wink:
Its not that easy. Btw TPCAST was very clear saying “Do NOT use the Vive TPCAST battery adapter with Oculus TPCAST”. I assume u may fry it…

Took a fast photo…
Upper: Vive TPCAST
Lower: Rift TPCAST

Notice, except different output A, the Vive uses 12V where Rift uses 5V.

3 Likes

Ok No Descriptive Answer lol (NDA)

2 Likes

ok i wouldn’t try then either. But isnt it possible the divice would check how much Volt and then adapt to it? i mean technically “Adaptive Voltage”, and then they could have sold a single one that would work with both? (if they wanted to do that)

1 Like

I will buy the vive pro wireless adapter and if the voltage/ power requirements match will try it with the Pimax 5k when it arrives presuming that the pimax will have similar requirements hdmi 2.0 / usb 3 / 12v if that is what the wireless adapter presents to the OG vive sockets ( possible as the vive pro proprietary socket on the device needs display port and usb3 )

2 Likes

This topic deserves an answer from pimax @deletedpimaxrep1

1 Like

Indeed. Not sure how they work but have seen universal laptop adapters that auto change voltage?

No i never did. But i also never hear someone putting a wrong cable in their laptop which made it fry. I imagine it would happen all the time if so.

I dont know how it all works precisely, and I’m just wondering.

don’t know if it’s even about the right subject, im a amateur in this, LOL, but I find this on google:

Replacing a capacitor with something that has a higher voltage rating is always safe. The only problem there is that a capacitor rated for a higher voltage is often physically larger, everything else being equal. Make sure they actually fit in the same space. … Yes, you can pick a higher voltage without problems. Mar 12, 2017

Anyway, time will tell.

1 Like

I doubt that any of the DP to HDMI adapters available drop the voltage carried from 3.5v to 2.5v and don’t think it will matter , the big question must be whether the Vive transmitter checks for a vive/vive pro signature , even if the Pimax is 5v which I doubt , I’ts possible to reduce the 12v vive to that voltage , So unless the sockets for the OG vive are only hdmi 1.2/1.4 and the usb is usb2 not usb3 it could work ( couldn’t it ? )

3 Likes

For example i have a powerbank with 20.000 mAh, 5V. 2.1A and 1A…
I used it to charge many things, from android phones to iphones, to ipad, a libratone zipp mini Speaker, an E-Reader, to a tiny little USB ventilator with LED lights, for my Vive controller to charge, and surelly for some other things.

I not once looked at all those devices to check if it had this 5V … im sure this little USB venilator would not need 5V, it also works ofcourse in the USB of my 220 volt PC, as well as on this powerbank.

But was i foolish to just put all those things in my powerbank without looking if they all ‘only work’ on 5V? would any of them walk the risk to fry? if so then i have been lucky not one of them ever did. no idea how it all works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you risk frying the electronics and possibly killing the charger. In particular, some devices have reverse polarity (plus/minus/ground pins are swapped); something like that can fry in a second. I used to have a “universal” Radio Shack charger which could be reconfigured to charge most electronics. I accidentally swapped polarity and fried something expensive.

Always compare the labels on the charger and equipment to be charged, to verify that they are compatible. Otherwise, you may have an expensive “learning experience”.

2 Likes