With all those optimizations - shouldn't the 8K become the 8KX?

Please correct me if I’m wrong. But the reason for the 8KX is that it uses two graphics cards to handle two 4K screens at their native resolution, right?

Now with all those optimizations like brainwarp, fixed foveated rendering etc, some applications should be running right now even on a single card at 2x 4K, no? The current Steam SS settings suggest resolutions at 4K per eye.

So the only bottleneck preventing the 8K to run as an 8KX would be the upscaler?

3 Likes

Well well well, will the 8KX then become the 16K?

2 Likes

Yes and unfortunately, the scaler cannot be bypassed. You don’t actually need 2 video cards, but it does require 2 DisplayPorts and 2 video cables.

3 Likes

I’m hoping the 8KX will get newer and better panels than the 8K.

Pimax only kickstarted 30 8KXs so they won’t lose a load of money by susbsidising backers if they make the 8KX an ultra high end HMD.

2 Likes

Yes it wouldn’t be such an improvement over the 8k if pimax uses the same panels, only a big performance loss, the clarity already is very good with the latest pitools on the 8k.

1 Like

The reason for 8k-X is having two 4K panels in a native resolution (i.e. without an upscaler).

3 Likes

Unless over 90% of 8KX backers backed out, that 30 figure is not even close to accurate.

2 Likes

as @CMM indirectly says. The kickstarter had 300 spots for the 8KX and they all sold out.

1 Like

It was 400 spots for 8KX.

3 Likes

Native duplex 4k at 60hz should be possibly with the new analogix chip. Could we increase the refresh rate using normal FOV using DCS 1.2 compression?

1 Like

I was only out by a factor of 10 lol.

But another 270 HMDs isn’t a large enough number to impact the economics of my point.

1 Like

To run 2 screens natively at 4k you need a bridgechip capable of 2×4k input. The Bandwidth limitations of dp 1.4 also plays a facter requiring 2×DP(video) connections; which is the reason the 8kX needs 2×Bridgechips.

2 Likes

Indeed it was 400 units. Lol

1 Like

The 8K-X can only go further with supersampling, but whatever you do, it only shows 2x4k image.

What i believe it can be done is to use a true RGB subpixel matrix (not pentile one), this would increase even further the already massive clarity it would have.

It would trample over anything on the market so far, even novel tech like vargo bionic whatever or some eldritch Panasonic/Sharp panel (that costs millions to make) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

1.4 support two 4k screen at 60hz just not at 90hz

The new DP 1.4 specification will support 5120×2880 @60Hz with high dynamic range, and up to 8K (7680×4320)@60Hz with use of 4-2-0 pixel structure in both high dynamic range and standard modes.

DisplayPort 1.4 also enables the simultaneous use of two 4K UHD monitors, each with a pixel resolution of up to 3840 x 2160.

Gamers who prefer high refresh rates and high resolutions aren’t forgotten; DP 1.4 can also drive “deep color” 120Hz 4K panels. If you have a need for high-definition, 32-channel audio, DP 1.4 also has you covered.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Let’s hack some new scalers in :wink:

3 Likes

But, but, but - wadda bout them new VR Link Ports that cards are bringing to the table?

Are they not meant to also help with bandwidth over standard DP?

oops, my bad, it is a NV Link port based on USB type C port. Wondering how Thunderbolt would help. Maybe wait until cables and bandwidth are more readily available. That being said, I have no issues in Pimax VR at 60fps or under - well at least not till half.

1 Like

do you think using 2 Virtual Links from NVLinked 2080tis would do it?

Yes DP 1.4 can at 60hz. However tge Analogix Bridge chip doesn’t appear to support it.

The new Analogix bridgechips have built in scalers but you still need 2 dp inputs to have 4k native but with possible at 120hz.

1 Like