Will 8Kx and 8K+ continue with less resolution in large mode?

Sorry a quick off topic as you mention the helmet. Give VTOL VR a go some time, it actively aims to give the feeling of wearing a pilot helmet. You can bring the visor down which gives HUD overlays, night vision, target tracking etc. You can even look down at your feet and if you wish, overlay a camera feed from underneath the aircraft :slight_smile:

Plus being built for VR it works great in large at 90 :+1:

OK, so I’m a bit confused as to what this problem specifically refers to? I do have one game which is apparently incompatible with the Large FOV (PCars2) - in that title when I use large FOV the quality is dramatically reduced because the title then ignores all my SS quality settings. So far I’ve noticed no problems with other titles looking any worse in wide FOV, but I’m not that far into the learning curve on all things VR. As long as I’m pushing enough pixels to the HMD shouldn’t I be fine? In other words, shouldn’t we see the large FOV looking worse ONLY in instances where we have to upscale from lower resolution than the HMD requires? Or are we talking about more games with problems like PCars2 has? I have done > 4096 fix.

There was some discussion a while back that Pimax was somehow overriding it, but I’m not certain that they were able to. This is a SteamVR configuration setting, so Pimax may have a limited ability to correct it.

2 Likes

Yep. It was the problem. When we use large FOV the SS configuration is dead.

You can find a default.vrsettings somewhere in the PiTool installation which, I guess, is/was supposed to override the default settings which are set by SteamVR.

Not sure if it works though since I have made the change in the user settings file instead.

2 Likes

Rather than worrying about where the SteamVR settings file is being stored and potentially giving outdated information, just us the dev console

For more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/8dv6wx/til_steamvr_has_a_web_ui/

Just a reminder, SteamVR needs to be running before you try to connect and it will become unresponsive if SteamVR is closed. However, if you use the extremely useful “restart” command it will restart SteamVR without closing the console and is much faster than manually restarting SteamVR (ie closing the window, wait, reopen SteamVR, wait more). It is useful when trying to fine-tune settings (ie changing SS for a new game).

2 Likes

Hmm :thinking:
I always Go largest FOV and 120hz and nothing is more blurry ( except ther peripheral vision part due to the lenses an their effect)
… it’s a matter of HP or how low of FPS you are willing to take…
Edit: Ok and the configurations you make, see above.

I really enjoyed large FOV in Boneworks. Hadn’t tried it for a long while. Found the large FOV to really really increase immersion. That’s near as damn my real world FOV. I manually changed the Steam setting before just to be sure on the res. Takes some graphics grunt though!

Think fixed foveated rendering would be ideal for that. No need to render all the periphery pixels. I only have a 1080 ti though. One for the next generation!

3 Likes

Oooh, that’s nice to hear!

I must have missed that patch note.

Depends on which density you mean. :7

At least last I looked, the bitmap size piserver requests on SteamVR at PiTool quality=1.0 for “large” FOV is not as much larger than for “normal”, as it would need to be, for the “normal” part of the “large” area to remain as dense. :7

The “default” render resolutions are more or less arbitrarily chosen, and presumably picked for performance more than qualitative consistency. :7

1 Like

I couldn’t find the setting in SteamVR in Developer Web Console or Developer Settings. Where is the MaxRes setting?

http://127.0.0.1:8998/console/index.html just gives a “can’t reach this page” error.

Apparently Valve changed the URL, you probably need to run it from

SteamVR->Main Menu->Developer->Web Console

Then use settings command as mentioned above. For example, typing

settings max

will show

Fri Dec 20 2019 01:00:20.106 - [Console] Settings:
Fri Dec 20 2019 01:00:20.106 - [Console] Usage: settings [name] [value]
Fri Dec 20 2019 01:00:20.106 - [Console] ----------------------------------------
Fri Dec 20 2019 01:00:20.106 - [Console] steamvr.maxRecommendedResolution: 8192
Fri Dec 20 2019 01:00:20.106 - [Console] steamvr.mirrorViewGeometryMaximized: true
Fri Dec 20 2019 01:00:20.106 - [Console] ----------------------------------------
Fri Dec 20 2019 01:00:20.106 - [Console] 2/239 Matches.

on my machine.

3 Likes

Oh my. Well, so that’s the culprit then now ? Any idea what to do? Prolly nothing we can fix with some json magic? :>

Are you talking about Native or PP mode? In PP mode it seems to me that the Large res is proportionally wider and has the same height as, for example, the Normal FOV.
Normal PP res (PiTool RQ=1, SS=100%) is [3852, 3288]
Large PP res (ditto) is [6948, 3288]
What might be the detriment to the image quality however is the reprojection from the parallel plane to the native (panel) plane.

Helpful thread. I just today encountered this particular bug when trying to work out a skyrim vr parallax issue (some shadows and water being just every so slightly outside the correct focal plane). So I tried turning on the “Parallel Projection” option, which Skyrim VR isn’t supposed to need but which I read somewhere might fix those minor issues (it does). Turns out this is the same bug that causes the problem with PCars2 (which does require Parallel Projection be turned on). So this issue isn’t specific to PCars2 as I had thought, but rather is an incompatibility between two specific PiTool settings.

The low down is this: If you are using Large FOV with Parallel Projection ON, then the SS settings will be ignored and the game will run at an extremely poor resolution. Outside of that one scenario everything seems to work fine. So if you have to use Parallel Projection with a particular title don’t also bother trying to use the Large FOV setting for that game.

2 Likes

That might not be true of all games. I tried Large FOV in Elite D last night and could barely tell the difference between Large and Normal FOV. I switched it dynamically in PiTool while ED was running. I’ll try it again tonight, starting in Large FOV.

Really? I don’t recall seeing it anywhere in the patch notes

Well, true, my sample size is small, but it is accurate across what I’ve got to try. Someone should try it with a larger set of games if they have a chance and see if it holds across other titles. If this does indeed turn out to be a general bug that’s probably good news (easier to fix a single fundamental bug than something effecting multiple titles across a variety of game engines. Or at least so I would think.)

So I tried it again and made sure to restart SteamVR. PP needs to be on for ED. The in-game visuals were essentially the same, other than the wider FOV. The framerate was noticeably reduced, so I’ll continue to play using Normal FOV.

Here are the resolutions I play at, PiTool quality is set to 1.0, and the vertical res may vary from others, since I have a fairly large vertical offset in PiTool (+3.0 and +8.0).

As you can see, Large FOV has noticeably higher X resolution.

1 Like

Well… my SS settings are ignored even without PP, always in large FOV