Wide FOV lenses for Crystal

It’s possible to buy Wide FOV lenses for Crystal ? I dont see them in Pimax shop.

1 Like

I wonder which will come first to retail. Pimax wide FOV lenses, Somnium VR-1 or Valves Index2?

1 Like

Sweviver made this video showing the pre production lenses but that was 2 months ago.

Sweviver says there’s no price but Pimax already stated these will sell for $129.99

HI @Atmos :+1:t2:

You are sure for the price Lens Big Fov -Pimax Crystal ?
129,99$

Thank you so much for all News :innocent::+1:t2:

APlushhss :innocent::+1:t2:

1 Like

2 Likes
1 Like

After all this time, what a disappointment.

4 Likes

All the people that pre ordered are now in a tough situation. There are no 42PPD lenses and only Wide FOV lenses that according to MRTV not worth using.

Makes one wonder if Aspheric lenses have a future. Pimax spend a lot of time on these to get them right.

Not sure where this leaves Pimax to be honest. Pancake? Fresnel?

1 Like

Personally I think of pancake as even more of a stop-gap solution than Fresnels ever were, but I have no idea what would supersede them… :stuck_out_tongue:

Why do you think that?

1 Like

I love pancake! I understand though it’s difficult over a wider fov to get it working right

1 Like

I think within 10 years Sony will be the majority HMD manufacturer.

PS5 and next PCVR and a Qualcomm standalone imminent I see a one HMD to rule them all scenario.

Pancake are small cheap and can be moulded into any shape. I think Sony with its camera and display technology is a winning combination.

Butttttt…….I also think DJI will release a HMD in the next 10 years too. They already produce great cameras and are producing HMDs for the FPV drone market.

I guess we’ll see a ‘single’ 180FoV pancake lens sooner rather than later. It will be a game changer.

They are very inefficient, what with all that polarisation and bouncing back and forth, which also produces ghost images. I’d like some level of HDR at some point not too far-off in the future, without the required wattage boiling my head. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Pancake optics has been bandied about by its more stout advocates since Oculus Kickstarter days, by the way, so it’s not like it’s a new thing.)

An ideal lens has zero thickness, and by virtue of therefore not having any volume that light travels between its front and back interface surfaces, little distortion from changing view angle.
Pancake optics allows for a thinner device, but not by somehow making the optics simultaneously thinner and “stronger magnification”, but by folding the still long optical path back and forth, virtually extending the distance light has to travel within the “lens”.

Ultimately, I am looking forward to the elimination of any discrete intermediate focussing lens, in favour of lightfield displays of some kind, which you can look at directly, at very near range, and facilitates depth of field, as well as prescription adaption in software (EDIT: …and is shared by both eyes). That is going to take a magnitudal increase in resolution though, or some other means of producing the same effective result.

What may come in between these, I do not know; Most stuff that has been widely shown has severe limitations, such as those however-they-work stacks of varifocal-enabling LCD sheets eating even more light than the pancakes, and meta lens structures tending to have to be tuned for just one single wavelength. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But with even brighter displays coming up, does that even matter much?

Brighter displays will typically consume more power, and output more heat. The added brightness should reasonably also make any ghost images and glare inherent to any lens system brighter, right along with the intended imagery.

Hmm never really spotted ghost images on my Quest 3, I’m a bit afraid though to actively start looking for them and see something I can’t unsee LOL. But honestly, on my Quest 3 it feels like a non issue.

1 Like

I hear the ones in the Q3 are quite excellently made. Reports about the ones in the Bigscreen Beyond sound less encouraging.

3 Likes