Why is the VR 'Media' Blackballing Pimax?

I don’t think the media is blackballing Pimax. Did Pimax even send out review units to RoadToVR for example? I’m pretty sure that didn’t even happen

5 Likes

Well asking community for ideas is all well and good, but there are too many hurdles to overcome with so many ideas. Far easier to go with an internal choice. However, some cultural differences are at play here where some names might work in China but not in other regions of the world.

I mean to my ears we have the Vive Wands. Oculus Touch, Pimax Katana sounds feasible except that’s very Japanese and won’t work in China. So Pimax Dao (刀) might work in China but doesn’t sound right to westerners and the literal translation of Pimax Sword is a bit naff sounding. Pimax Sense controllers on the other hand works for me.

2 Likes

No but fits in the ‘not even worth mentioning’ category when talking about other competing HMDs.

1 Like

I believe it just lack of in$$$$$entives.

3 Likes

Not true.

3 Likes

Ok so Ben does have a unit to review but hasn’t done the review yet (only a hands-on). And you guys think it’s because of some conspiracy? I’m sure there’s a plausible reason. Maybe Pimax told him to hold it off and to review a newer version? Or maybe his review unit broke down (quite a few pimaxes seem to have problems). Ben isn’t too active here on the forum unfortunately (@benz145) but if you email him he’ll probably reply (I’ve been in touch with him a few times myself)

1 Like

Who called it a conspiracy?

If Pimax told them to hold off then they or Pimax could let us know that, problem solved.

1 Like

If only both were Sense. :wink:

Truth name things what you will as often somewhere it will not be right.

Namimg conventions always have potenial issues.

• Chevy Nova (greek doesn’t go)
  • Clairol Mew Stick (German Mew=Menure)
  • Buik LaCross (Apparently slang for self gradification)

Pepsi tried to translate their slogan “Brings you back to life” in i think it was chinese. Ended uo with “Brings your ancestors back from the grave”

Pimax couls say the numbers with letters reptesents math. 4k=4000 5k=5000 8k=8000.

Since k=1000. Though in processors mesns unlocked.

After all LG has 2 letter series. LG G# & LG V# as their flagship phones.

1 Like

see also nissan pajero (wanker in spanish) and
rolls royce silver mist (sh*t in german)

3 Likes

The Test.com team mentioned they got a review unit on their podcast a few weeks ago but it would not turn on! (not a good look pimax!) They said the would do a review when they received a working one (they contacted pimax and were working on an RMA)

also they did a hands on with it back in 2017
https://www.tested.com/tech/784924-projections-episode-24-pimax-8k-vr-headset-hands-/

3 Likes

Ben likely does have one as he did preview a model just before the Berlin Meetup & was likely a key factor on the prospect of release.

Though like the rest of us the 5k+ was a surprise but they hadn’t brought an og 5k model to demonstrate it’s said improvement with it’s panel vs the 5k+'s panels. (Prior only 5k was seen early version).

Which of course leads to speculation & the later reveal of 8k panel supply issues.

All of the media outlets? I can understsnd RdToVR as Ben has a good relationship in supporting pimax efforts.

To emphasize my point. The latest HP Reverb review on R2VR.

Let’s skip right to the fun stuff: the displays. Reverb has a 2,160 × 2,160 resolution display per-eye, which is a big step up in resolution even from current class-leading headsets like the Vive Pro and Samsung Odyssey which tout 1,440 × 1,600 displays. We’re talking about twice as many pixels as those headsets.

Forget class-leading but not even a whiff of Pimax with their 8K display and if we’re only talking native then no mention of the 5K+ in that paragraph. Pimax is not mentioned in the review. Pimax 5K+ or 8K isn’t a consumer ready hmd let alone “class-leading” (except for its FOV) therefore no reason to mention it is fair enough.

Rift mentioned 7 times
Vive 3 times
Odyssey 3 times
Pimax 0

That is just one example where Pimax isn’t acknowledged. There are many other reviews/previews I have read across the board from tech sites which also do not mention Pimax. Therefore I can fully understand why someone might have the impression the Pimax HMDs are being “blackballed” or “ignored”.

As I said before, I think once the full package is available then this scenario will change greatly. Hopefully, people will then have good things to say about it. I get the impression R2VR want to as well but might be held back by not having the complete unit.

7 Likes

Supposedly that’s not mislabeled although it’s not what most people expect 4K to be.

Technically even 1080p is 2K.

Unfortunately it’s a mess but hardly anybody would understand what e.g. WQHD(1440p) is.

1 Like

Not another Statistics witch hunt.

Pimax is not a leading recignized brand.

Like the expression vs competimg leading brands X. Doesn’t mean there isn’t something better from someone else from a smaller company.

Doing mention counts is not a good way to count. These outlets could be publishing all the bad points of pimax & there not. Mixed blessings that other headset manufacturing is giving them other things to report on.

Otherwise we might have articles like:

• Is pimax cracking like eggs? Or is this Anecdotal?

• Pimax edges in a new reality. But is the distorttion good enough?

• Pimax market’s “Self Adaption” for IPD!

1 Like

Mainstream:
-hmm, I’ll buy the quest
-Wow it’s amazing!! The best!!!
(Few months later)
-It’s not enough
-Oh I’ll buy the index or the Odyssey!!
-WoW, it’s much better, it’s the best!!
(Few months later)
-hmm, not enough immersion, i need more FOV!!
(Few months later)
-hmm what about Pimax, I think now I can handle it!
Mainstream:
-110 fov?? It’s not VR you bastards!!

2 Likes

Which if you accept 4k at various aspect ratios than pimax was not out of order with 8k at 32:9 as the 8k meets the pseudo 8k= 7680 horizontal. :wink:

After all were accepting 4k as 3840.

TV set mfgs were careful not to call FHD 2k due to it not being 2000 (photography 2k) or 2048 Cinema or PC 2k.

Remember the Harddrive lawsuit on using metric vs imperial k sizes. Pc memory messured imp style numbers. K = 1024. Hard drives used K = 1000. OSes counted drive size as K= 1024

1 Like

Yep 8K is just as misleading :+1:, using it for VR products with 2x2160p is stretching it a bit.

e.g. 7680 × 2160 is listed in wikipedia as 8K.

Actually I read somewhere ben does have a unit that broke. Maybe he’s waiting for a replacement

2 Likes

Mew? Sorry but that word does not exist :slight_smile:

1 Like