Why doesn’t Pimax show on the Steam Hardware Survey?

for me its my feet. I find a barstool is perfect. Because you can put it high enough so it kind of feels like you are standing and it’s smaller than a chair so it doesn’t limit your movement in any way plus i can turn physically around instead of using the joystick all the time for added immersion.

also if i need to crouch its an easy transition from stool to crouch and back

something like this

(EDIT) i suspend my cable above me with one of those midwec carbiner things so i can spin freely

2 Likes

Pimax headsets now show up on the survey- specifically the 5K Plus and 8K, thought to be the most popular of the company’s many offerings. As suspected, these are fairly niche products, with even both together making up less than 1 in 300 SteamVR users.

Source:

3 Likes

Ah cool that Pimax finally shows up. Too bad nobody is using a Pimax though.

What I’m happy about is this part:

Valve’s premium Index HMD now represents over 1 in 10 headsets on SteamVR. This is an impressive feat given the $1000 pricetag for the full kit. It could be seen as proof against Facebook’s product positioning which suggests consumers aren’t interested in hardware at that price.”

High-end VR is finally getting some traction. Who knows, maybe FB might change their minds seeing that. Especially if Index usage keeps growing, then they can’t ignore the demand for high end VR anymore

3 Likes

Can we not link uploadvr…they dont deserve a single click.

1 Like

Hehe. Uploadvr vs sweviver on Twitter was the best entertainment we have had this year though. Swe’s meltdown was next level

Intetesting. Pimax number seems low. Wonder if any pimaxers have left Vive Mode on? As the numbers is considrably less than KS.

Front were you a backer?

2 Likes

actually where it should be considering that there was about that many backers and that they still haven’t pieced together a complete product.

Or you can look at it the bad way , and that is we backers are their only customers.

First time in my life i’ve ever been in the upper 1%/ :slight_smile:

1 Like

i didn’t click. 20 chars

Quite a few backers jumped ship. And nobody new has bought a pimax. Their reputation is preceding them at the moment.

RTA Motorsports got a pimax a year ago around the same time he got an index.

he returned the index due to glare
and he hasn’t even reviewed the pimax yet.

I think once they release their controllers and MAS, they may get those numbers up.

but i don’t think they will ever get to the 6 figure sales, even 5 seems iffy right now.

1 Like

Hi Heliosurge, yes i was a 8K backer, and stayed with it.

2 Likes

Awesome backer bling added.

Just keep in mind there should be also Pre orders. Numbers just seem maybe shy of say 1200+. But yeah at this present time not likely to hit 5 figures.

I think without better lenses, the pimaxes will never become mainstream. And of course they’d have to start growing up. Right now you just can’t take the company serious. Preorder in october at the promise of delivery in november and then half a year of NOTHING. They really need to stop doing things like that. If they want to do pre-order, then do it when the design is final.

And their horrible past behaviour will stick with them for a while. After the kickstarter horror I told myself never ever to do a kickstarter again. Now after the preorder fiasco I will also never ever pre-order from Pimax again. And I’m sure there are more like me. And look at the Amazon reviews, they’re pretty bad, I wouldn’t buy it when I’d read those reviews. And that’s all just their behaviour as a company, the hardware, especially the lenses, also still needs a lot of work. So they have a very very long way to go to become mainstream I think

2 Likes

Absolutely right @Djonko

I don’t think Pimax have progressed as a company than where they were selling the 4k.

Well done Valve for finally including all headsets in the survey.

Pimax are prioritising the 8kX which is the headset with 400 Kickstarter orders v thousands of 5k+.

While other companies can’t keep up with production on small FOV headsets Pimax promote their wide HMD and then recommend not using the widest setting! Why is that? Because the distortions are too bad?

Pimax should either release a smaller HMD to reflect a smaller FOV or stick with ultra wide FOV and develop a lens thats actually useable at full FOV.

Pimax lack direction and strategic competence.

1 Like