Where's the 12k?

Hi

So you don’t have to fly on dcw world often to say that.
I have friends of my #team in multiplayer +8kx set with a very high ss +4090 who finally have a 60/70 fps by putting the game on #ultra no more no less.
And it’s a multi not solo test!
The boss of dcs world have finally announced that their simulator will finally be optimized in 2023 to use recent processors which include multiThreading.
This will relieve our gpu but it will not change the + 30 million pixels to calculate on a Pimax 12k.

aplushhssss :christmas_tree::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree:

HI :santa::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree:

on the other hand with my crystal test with sweviver at the roadshow in paris the advantage of this new generation of helmets by pimax is that the Ss will become useless compared to our old 5k+/8kx, because the Qled panels + the aspherical lenses give an image MAGNIFICENT that I have never seen in my life since my debut in Vr in 2012 with an oculus Dk1.
The image of a Crystal is MAGNIFICENT :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
This does not prevent me from worrying about whether a graphics card like the Rtx 4090 will be able to run a pimax 12 k?
As a reminder the video of #sweviver on the Mfs 2020 simulator:
-Pimax Crystal

=44fps while flying above New York!
So in a pimax 12k how many fps?

aplushhsss. :santa::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::santa::santa::santa:

I already had 68-87 FPS at 3100pix V, normal FOV, medium Settings (single player, before 2.8) with my Titan on the 8kx near the ground. What’s interesting here is that the 4090 gave me exactly zero FPS gain. But yes, can drive a much better look and crazy SS Rates.The big brake is and remains the 2 core dilemma. I also hope that the announced expansion will finally burst the knot.

1 Like

I performed a series of A-B tests between a Pimax 5K Super and Pimax 8KX specifically at 3412x2104 which is 100% resolution for the 5K Super but only about 50% for the 8KX in native mode. With the 8KX running at the same rendering resolution and same frame rate, the video quality was significantly improved over the 5K Super. It was not close.

As @dstar mentioned, too many people are unwilling to tune their settings below 100% even in cases where this will produce a much better overall result.

The 8KX has higher capacity to make good use of the additional GPU performance. So it absolutely makes sense to upgrade to as powerful a GPU as you can. The more GPU you’ve got, the better it will look.

But that doesn’t mean the better GPU is actually required in order to maintain frame rate. Tanking the frame rate is the result of poor tuning choices, not an actual requirement of a VR headset with higher resolution panels.

I performed a series of tests with inworld eye charts between the Valve Index and the Pimax 8KX which showed that clarity is equal between the two headsets at only 46% resolution on the 8KX regardless of the amount of super sampling applied to the Index. The 8KX performs very well at resolutions below 100%, and we can expect the same from the 12K.

2 Likes

Hi

Ah yes if you fly solo, not in multi on medium / low + you downgrade your 8kx to -50% on dcs or other simulator then yes you can even stay in Rtx 2080TI / 3080!

Me when I talk about testing a simulator it’s to have a magnificent game in front of my eyes, to drive in multiplayer, to put the graphics options on ultra and the 8kx at 100% in its native resolution!
Otherwise, what’s the point of buying a Ferrari if you use it as a Toyota Land cruiser?

I’ll be even more specific:

-My fears with the Pimax 12k, when you put a simulator at 100% in graphics options, pivot in multi-step solo without downgrading the headset to its native resolution, a 12k with which graphics card will it work?

For the test of the 8kx in dsc world of my simulation #team, we never put Dcs on low / medium and the resolution is native and the rts 3090 is on its knees + 30/40 fps barely in multi.

I understand better why you don’t worry with pimax 12k in simulation.

In our simulation #Team our only hope with the 12k:

-Does eyetracking work to relieve the RTX3090/4080/4090?

aplushhss / Merry Christmas to everyone :santa::santa::santa::santa::santa::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::gift::gift::gift::gift::gift:

1 Like

You don’t seem to understand that what he is saying is that you don’t have to max out the 12k in order to get benefit from its higher resolution panels. You will still see benefit even if you have to turn it down to 70% or so in order to hit a target framerate. I see no reason to think that a 3080 won’t give a good experience with the 12k considering i used a1080ti with my 8kx for a year and had a really good experience. Of course a stronger gpu gives an even better experience but that is a good thing because it’s like getting a new headset when you’re able to upgrade your gpu.

What’s going to be interesting is what happens when you compare the native 8k of the 8KX to the non native render of the 12k. Or if you over sample the 8kX to compare it to a native 12k.

A 1080TI with a pimax 8kx, yes but for what type of games?
Because we were talking about in our simulator discussion thread!
In simulation already my old pimax 5k+ brought my GTX 1080TI to its knees!

Then it’s on if we play beatsaber in vr, even a GTX 1080 will work in a 12k!

At the roadshow in paris, josh/sweviver from pimax had installed an RTX 4080 + RTX 4090 for their demonstration of the pimax crystal

Aplushhss :santa::santa::christmas_tree::christmas_tree::gift::gift:

The 8kx with its LCD panel will always be worse compared to the Qled panel of the pimax 12k /crystal :innocent:
You can increase the Ss of the 8kx to 100000000000%, it won’t change anything.
It’s like comparing an lcd tv screen with Samsung’s latest #Qled TV screens.
It’s another universe.
Since my test with #sweviver alone for 1 hour from the Crystal at the #roadshow in Paris on 2 simulator + #skyrim I can tell you that the Crystal is a next-gen 3.0 helmet thanks to its Qled panel + aspherical lenses.
We can forget any comparison with our old VR headsets marketed since 2012.

Aplushhhsssss :christmas_tree::santa::gift:

Hmmm not so sure. If you have a 8kX and 4090 and the choice to go for the Crystal which one would you choose?

As for SS look at this vid where the Reverb G2 can look as good as the Aero. Any headset is going to look sharper with SS.

HI

the varjo aero helmet does not have a qled panel or aspherical/pancake lenses?

you have to compare what is comparable, helmets with qled slabs like the future crystal/12k at pimax or the varjo Xr3 or Meta Quest pro.

I tell you again forget all the other vr headsets marketed since 2012.
Have you tested the latest vr headsets with qled display?

Aplushhss :christmas_tree::gift::santa:

The Aero does have aspheric lenses long before the Crystal.

Aero uses LED panels but not QLED yet.

Let’s wait to see the Crystal release on 5th Jan and how many are available in the first few months.

at this raodshow fair there was the director of #France immersive learning with whom I spoke.
He tested the very latest high-end VR headsets, it’s his job to follow technology much more than we do.
It was in his premises that he received pimax for their roadshow/paris and ourselves.
For him in December 2022 the vr headsets that have the best image without any preference:

-Pimax crystal
-Varjo XR3
-Meta Quest Pro

Coincidentally 3 vr headsets with a Qled panel?

I told him about the aero Varjo, for him the image is very beautiful but below the quality of these 3 vr helmets.

Aplushhss :gift::santa::santa:

HI

Varjo Aéro it’s Mini-led ,not Led .

You didn’t answer my question?

have you been able to test a vr headset with #Qled tiles like the crystal/Varjo Xr3/Meta quest pro

Aplushhsss :santa::gift::christmas_tree:

No, but others have tested some of these.

HI

I’m talking about testing vr headsets??

On your video they don’t test vr headset with qled display ???

I’m talking to you about testing vr helmets and their soft association by technologies of said helmets

by the way, Samsung has already shown a prototype oled/qled /vr screen at trade fairs since 2018

To compare for those who have not tested these 3 next-gen VR headsets.
Go to a store that sells TVs.
Go see Latest tv / Samsung Qled and you will see what I personally saw in a pimax crystal.
Rendering in 4k per eye, a sweetspot that has disappeared, deep blacks, sharp vision over the entire screen, no more distortion, no more chromatic aberration, no blurring when looking very far away, sharpness when looking very closely that we have never seen in a vr headset.

So all this is magnificent but it comes at a price to have vr 3.0 in front of your eyes.
A price for high end vr headsets and it is very expensive

Apluhhsss :santa::gift::christmas_tree:

Just to be clear: All these “QLED” things, including the Crystal’s display panels, are still LCD.

2 Likes

It’s the most advanced LCD assembly with a mini-LED backlight so it’s a great deal different than the standard LCD arrangement that is often used.
It’s an attempt to implement the most desirable capabilities, such as high refresh, wide gamut, deep contrast and of course cost considerations.

1 Like

I own both the VR3 and Aero and if anything, I’d say the Aero has a better panel for gaming. The reason is that with XR3 and VR3 they had to match the 2 panels they have and thus couldn’t tweak each panel to its individual optimum.

Of course in the Varjo demos where you can use the higher resolution in the focus panel, it’s noticeable better resolution in that part. But honestly it’s like the difference between watching a movie on a 1080p and 4k TV. Sure there’s some difference but at least for me it’s not day/night, both look nice.

Well, testimonials so far have certainly been positive.