Whats the use of Pimax lower than 90 refresh rate?

Hey

So the piTool allow me to set it up to lower… but what is the benefit?

TIA

There are at least 2 benefits:

1. 72 Hz is particularly useful, for watching “cinima” movies, which are typically shot at 24 FPS (and 3 * 24 = 72). That means each frame is shown exactly 3 times. (90 / 24 = 3.75), so a frame is shown either 3 or 4 times, since complete frames must be shown (otherwise, there is a “tearing” artifact). This variance in frame repeat is noticeable (at least to some people) as juddery motion.

2. If you use a slower framerate (so that your video card doesn’t drop below the framerate), you can avoid using Smart Smoothing and/or FFR. I prefer to disable those 2 features, to avoid video artifacts.

6 Likes

It’s perfect for tack-on VR implementations which is unfortunately true for most flight and space simulators which have less than ideal CPU optimizations, where the CPU based sim related calculations usually leave little headroom for the GPU to create the scene under 11ms. 64Hz increases that to 16ms, so there is a higher chance to keep it smooth and without any reprojection (which is a lot more noticable than a lower display refresh rate.

4 Likes

Hmmm interesting. Gotta say a lot has changed since VR started a while back… I initially got Vive when they got released and I remember that anything below 90 back then was a bit pain…

Now I was lately playing and I had a look at my FPS and I was a bit like… wow I play at 30-50FPS avarege and I didnt puke yet so woah tech went ahead !

So the 90 is no longer required as far as I can tell… Well must depend on body but mhmhmhmmm

Thans for info regarding the hz. My GPU maxes out at 50-60fps lately… good old titan x maxwell sigh. Will drop down headset too see if improves the feel.

2 Likes

First of all, the Vive has a fixed refresh rate, and anything below 90fps means there are framedrops compared to the screen refresh. If you can lower the refresh rate, a lower fps will still be in sync with the display, hence the smooth feeling.
Secondly, reprojection tech has progress significantly since the early days and can (mostly) provide you with a feeling of full refresh rate even when the GPU only generates lower fps. The point of reprojection is to actually present you with a 90fps (or whatever you display refresh rate is) image, making sure your head movement is followed without choppiness - as this is one of the leading causes of nausea and motion sickness.
Thirdly, I’d still recommend going as high as you can afford with refresh rate for roomscale - sitting in a cockpit, you’re less sensitive to refresh rates but when you actively move around, you’ll appreciate the smoothness. Having said that, I routinely play roomscale games at 72Hz on my Pimax 5k as it’s really hard to tell the difference vs 90Hz and the rendering headroom is welcome in demanding games.

3 Likes

Yea, apart from all the technical uses for a certain framerate, lower frame rates also mean more power to your system for image quality. So if you have anything but the best pc and video card, lower settings could really produce a better picture for you.

2 Likes

Yes Oculus was responsible for promoting 90hz and now none of their new headsets reach 90hz. I barely can tell 64hz from 90hz. I watched security guard walk okay me in Fallout 4 over and over and could see more fluidity at 90 but not enough to really make a difference while playing.

1 Like