What comes after the 8K X? (Near Future VR Headsets)

Due to the large number of VR headsets that will be released this year and next year, I came up with the idea of what improvements and innovations we can expect in the next 2-5 years.
What resolutions will be possible for displays until 2025?
Maybe 6K or even 8K per eye and 210 degrees FOV?
Especially which resolution for displays in sizes from 5 to 5.5 inches?

Does Pimax perhaps already have plans or ideas in this direction? From experience I think that Pimax will play a big role, because they always try to reach the end of what is technically possible. With other manufacturers it will take longer. Of course pimax will have to work on their construction sites first, but if we expect cutting edge technology, then it is most likely to come from Pimax themself in the next few years.

Maybe @PimaxUSA and @SweViver could tell us something about the future development of Pimax VR Headsets and what we can except in the next 2-5 years from Pimax themself or in general.

It would also be very interesting to hear about any existing plans for future pimax headsets.

A big thank you in advance to @PimaxUSA and @SweViver for their participation in this discussion.

3 Likes

I want progress to be made on miniaturisation.

8KX resolution and FOV look fine to me, but the HMD itself is still quite large.

Smaller displays and better lenses are what is needed. With smaller displays, HMDs could used curved mirrors like a reflecting telescope to reduce chromatic aberration.

4 Likes

I think we will see more miniaturization(fixed :laughing:) with using Eye projection in a similar fashion to alegiant but with more complete fov urilizing eyetracking.

3 Likes

I would like to see a HMD like the 8kx with higher refreshrate (~120Hz) on large FOV without distortion. Great ā€œbinocular overlapā€ for very intense immersion. The displays doesnt even need to be Oledā€¦ = then please take all my money! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

hopefully miniaturisation not militarisation!

3 Likes

Heliosurge obviously loves First Person Shooter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Improved binocular overlap is a big deal for me as well.

3 Likes

I think potentially the sequel to the X may be the ā€˜8k Zā€™, or ā€˜8K XXā€™, or perhaps the ā€˜16kā€™

PS. the ā€˜8k Ultra Plusā€™, yes thatā€™s it!

Just a guess on my part

3 Likes

What do you think guys?

What resolutions will be possible for displays until 2025?
6K or 8K?
I would guess 8K for 2025 for 5 Inch Displays.

And miniaturisation is a good point. That would be also nice in the near future.
The lighter the better.
And also flexible Displays with curved lenses without any distorsions would be a nice thing.

Me as well.

There is no chromatic aberration in the 8kX (unless you count the SteamVR overlay edge glitch).

1 Like

Thanks missed that :laughing:

2 Likes

Sure lenses can correct for chromatic aberration, itā€™s not a secret how to do this. But it means that lenses are bigger and heavier than they need to be compared to curved mirrors.

3 Likes

Iā€™m thinking about wireless using WiFi 6E. OLEDs with RGB stripe. Maybe microLEDs in 2025 which enable HDR displays. I also see a huge potential for high resolution low-latency video passtrough with realtime depth maps that would allow perfect mixed reality experiences. But we should not only look at future hardware specs. Having the right software will be as important. Here I see a huge benefit in applying even more deep learning for hand tracking or object identification. We will be using cominations of eye tracking, hand tracking and voice recognition to control our apps. Advanced eye tracking will utilize saccades and blinking for redirected walking in smaler places. More advanced brain wave sensors build into the face cushion will enable better prediction of movements which is important to bring the overall latency of cloud rendering approaches into an acceptable range.

4 Likes

Variable focus. Oculus are working on it.

5 Likes

Well I think 120 hz is pretty much optimal already, most donā€™t seem to see the difference between 120 and 144, let alone even higher. Also, 4k per eye will be really nice but will 8k make it that much better? I think we either have hit or are are hitting soon the optimal values there, or at least, for the majority of the population.

Things Iā€™d like to see improved:

• Lenses (distortion free, higher FoV)
  • Wireless
  • OLED colors
  • Comfort (for example weight and size)

I think these factors are soon going to be more important than just pumping up the refresh rate and resolution. And indeed varifocus, like @Axacuatl mentioned, is going to be a big thing.

8 Likes

Chromatic aberration correction for Pimax headsets is done in software. Lenses-off photos by SweViver clearly showed this, to such a significant fraction of the display, it still shocks me that it can be done to single-pixel accuracy.

The benefit of mirrors would be that they can be made from lightweight honeycomb carbon fiber composites, milled to exactly the correct profile, polished, and sputter coated. Then if the displays are semi-transparent OLED, you can put them right in front of the eyes, resulting in a VR headset that looks like a huge box, but in fact is far lighter weight, and places the remaining heavy components (glass/silicon panel displays) in the least topheavy locations.

Thing is, you have to keep in mind geometric disadvantage and total weight are the problems, not size.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to see light-field-arrays. That would solve the VR vergence-accommodation conflict.

4 Likes

Bankruptcyā€¦( I hope iā€™m joking)

5 Likes

The Pimax 360. How could true realism be achieved without stuff happening behind your back, just like real life.

1 Like

What is required for good immersion? Biological restrictions define the limit.
Horizontal binocular FOV is about 214Ā°, one eye requires 120Ā° (monocular) FOV Vertical monocular FOV is 130Ā°, +60Ā°~70 and -70~80.
The binoclular 3D view is horizontal about 90Ā°.
Condition: look straight forward. ThatĀ“s not the way it works.
Additional we can move our eyes, abduction about 50Ā°, depression about 60Ā°, elevation about 45Ā°. That does not broaden the binocular FOV but broadens the 3D view, that need to be rendered.
Because we can move our eyes, add horizontal 90Ā° 3D view and 50Ā° abduction, Your result will be horizontal 140Ā° and vertical 60Ā° plus 105Ā° equals 165Ā° overlap of the required displays.

Because of sharp view in a limited area, that horizontal area round about 100Ā° requires higher resolution for better immersion. The regions outside sharp view require lower resolution.

So an eye tracking is required, to enable foveated rendering. That excludes all sniper solutions like hololens etc.

Additionally I think, we need AR VR combined and easily changed. For Full immersion, even for concentrated work, not only for games, VR is required. For a lot of future applications we will have a mixture of AR and VR.
A very important requirement is, You need to have a solution that enables to wear glasses, or to compensate eye-illnesses like myopic or hyperopic in a fair range.
Because AR relies on transparent displays, I expect LED displays. Because of VR solution we need a shutter function for the eyes, I expect something in design of steam punk googles.
Have a look at the panasonic google design, then combine with 210 Fov and Varjo foveated rendering and multidisplay solution, take something StarVR in, add Pimax FOV. It should be lightwight, and wireless, lagfree, seamless display sync without stuttering or framedrops.
That would replace any monitor and TV, a true killer application.

2 Likes