What can we expect and wish from a future Pimax 8K-X HMD?

True, but this is one of the things we do know: Pimax has publicly stated that the panels are 3840x2160 per eye and are being fed input at 2560x1440 (each) and that the scaler chip can NOT be bypassed.

Feel free to hunt for the original statements, I have to go to work and cannot look up the original references at this time.

2 Likes

The bridge chip doesn’t support the increased resolution either.

At least not according to it’s spec sheet.

1 Like

Was just wondering. There does seem difference in pixel quality at 64Hz. Thinking maybe there was something that was done to increase the appeal of VR Big Screen viewing on the 8K.

Anyway - check it out and run your titles at same SteamVR settings you normally do but with Hz at 65 instead of 72 or 80.

As for specs - well Pimax are known to be flexible in that regards. Thinking the bridge chip issue at full res was a bandwidth issue linked to the limitations of Display Port. I will try a little more testing with Vertical render res target of 2160 which I have used in the past. If aliaised like heck and then blurry when I counter it with AA, I am wrong but if it is neither of those propositions - then there could be something going on.

2 Likes

Have to look more in depth on the bridgechip. But doesn’t state higher resolutions with lower refresh.

Not strong on knowing native refresh rates vs possibly overdriven displays. This may affect quality of perceived pixels?

1 Like

What are your SteamVR super-sampling settings? If you are using automatic, a lower refresh rate will allow SteamVR to increase the res, assuming you’ve increased the max size (in the config file) or have a lower end GPU which isn’t reaching the default max of 4K per eye. Also, when I use 64 Hz in Elite Dangerous, there is a weird juddering artifact which does not appear at 72 and 80 Hz.

2 Likes

Maybe this is a stupid idea, but if the customers want true 4k per eye HMDs, remove scaler (or enable by pass it on 2 cable solution) from Pimax 8k HMD and feed the each eye’s display with two separate Display Port/HDMI cables from GPU to circumvent bandwidth limits of DP/HDMI transfer.

2 Likes

3 Likes

2 dp cables requires 2 bridge chips = 8kX.

4 Likes

Yeah - no. SteamVR Video setting is manually set in my testing so that I end up with consistent VR Render Target Resolutions.

I know Automatic will scale pending on hardware and PiTool Render Setting.

There does seem to be better colour gamut and contrast going from 80 to 64. Seems to allow for better detailing in the image.

Anyway -more than happy to stick with 64Hz as to push 80 I would have to lower target Resolution too much and it’s not worth it. You get a lot of shimmering artifacts when you do that which can be counted by AntiAliasing but then the image ends up blurred.

I am testing just leaving SteamVR both Video and App set to 100% and then playing with the Render Setting in PiTool. Sit on either 0.75 (3324 x 2928) or 1 (4432 x 3904) - SteamVR recommends 0.75 for the 100% setting.

Nearing throwing in the towel on experimenting and just stick to a simple one size fits all setting and take it from there. Maybe when I do a hardware upgrade I will then see how I can push the render resolution again but stick within the PiTool render slider and forget about supposed HMD panel res. :tired_face::zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Not for everything sure but I can and do already run some games upscaled to that resolution with my 5k+. Quite happy to enjoy it for the games it works with and downscale slightly for more demanding games.

2 Likes

Back on OP topic: I’d like 4K native res per eye with full RGB sub-pixels with a 90 Hz refresh rate, per eye IPD adjustment, with a distance-to-face adjustment, ideally with a wireless connection. (I can dream, can’t I?) :laughing:

7 Likes

How is the theme of the StarVR One been? I’m looking for information every week but nothing is found. The last thing I read was that they were given time to make this HMD profitable, but they don’t sell it to the consumer market, and I don’t know if they continue to sell it to developers.
If they wanted to make it competitive in the market they would have to sell it for around € 1500-2000 with controls and base stations, at least people who want it can buy it, and there are many interested people.

Whilst we are dreaming.

12bit colour depth HDR
4K per eye - heck why limit yourself, lets go 16K
90Hz, meh - that’s for kids. We demand 200Hz
Wireless? Why not have it with it’s own computer system that has everything we need in the HMD or a bum pack so we don’t need external computers. Powered by a portable Nuke reactor as we love to cook ourselves.

On a more serious note, 10bit HDR depth at 120Hz would be nice with maybe 8K per eye but using foreated eyetracked rendering with the outers dropping to 2K, mid section 4K and direct focus 8K

As for overclocking of the panels to derive 80 to 90Hz, that might be it but I am sure seeing a much better image with 64Hz usage on the 8K.

4 Likes

I think you can expect a very looong wait :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The dream worthwhile to pursue…

1 Like

Realistic i expect:

True 4k per eye (hopefully RGB sub pixel matrix)
At least 80hz
Even wider lens ?
Deluxe Audio Strap as default
Leap motion gadget included
Better foam

This is all it is needed for the best HMD crown

4 Likes

I think that would be more than sufficient for a very long time as you nailed the realistic specs of where it needs to go! They might include inside out tracking as an option and eye tracking by default as well of course. So long as they make 170 degree fov setting finally distortion free like normal pretty much is now, it would be nearly perfect. I say nearly because I feel it could use a little more vertical fov.

2 Likes

I want to add: true 4K, normal FOV is the maximum and optimised lenses and display for that FOV.
Imagine the clarity… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Helio! I found an offer of an HTC Vive Pro Full Kit for €1000. I have seen that on its official website it is priced at €1400.
Would you buy it considering that it would be my first VR HMD and that I have a GTX 980 Ti? Or would you expect the Pimax 8K to be more refined or to come out with new models like Valve’s 135º FOV?
I’m really interested in the SteamVR tracking system. And later I can change the graphics card for a 2080 Ti and overclock my 5820K CPU.

Is that I’m too tired to wait for better things to come out that satisfy my needs, I’ve been waiting for years, and for the price it costs everything related to electronics and computers is a disbursement to take into account and I want to be very sure of what I buy.
For example I could not pay €900 on my first VR product and come without controls or stations, with distortions, problems with the calibration of the IPD… If the glasses don’t work well for me I would have thrown €900 in the trash.

What is sure is that I will always be in this forum reading everything related to the Pimax 5k+/8K since they are what I have always wanted to buy, and I will continue wanting to buy them in the future (or something similar or better).
In addition to the level of information of people and the treatment they offer and the desire to participate and help I love and I find it a very entertaining reading.
Many thanks!

3 Likes

Truth the Vive Pro out of the box with controllers & LHes can be a great experience. As it also has built in cameras for hand tracking. The head mount system is better than Elastic band system.

@Sjef having the vive pro can give you a decent evaluation. With it being 400€ less sounds good.

If you have a vr arcade around you can likely sample the vive pro.

Pros for Vive Pro

• Easier on GPU due to less res & smaller FoV
  • Software has been out for quite awhile and should have less problems
  • Improved DAS head strap & audio
  • Oled Benefits on Contrast (true blacks & Whites)
  • Focus adjustment
  • Accessories available now.

Cons

• Gen1 FoV
  • More SDE than 5k+ & 8k (but reasonable)

At present it can be a great starting point & you can upgrade to a 5k/8k later on. I would still maybe reccommend down the road getting a LH v1.0 set as this would allow orig vive accessories to be used.

While the 5k+ & 8k are good for their pluses atm needs more time to imoprove ease of setup as some have 0 problems while others experience hiccups. The ipd & distortion perception varies; that being said if there is a vr arcade that has one try it out for yourself.

I have no real doubts pimax will have everything in place with time to get there. And would be a great upgrade when things are ironed out. I find myself always temped to grab a couple v1.0 LH & wands & contrary to what some think having them is good for compatability as LH v2.0 is not backwards compatable but offers easier on the go setup.

Where as v1.0 LH is great for permnament room setups & can be used with v1.0 & v2.0 tracking accessories where as v2.0 LHes can only be used with V2.0 accessories.

2 Likes