Weird screen crash

Long time no post.

I’ve so far been one of the lucky ones with my 5k+ headset, no issues setting up the PiTools, no need to roll anything back, everything working as intended. However I’ve started having a strange issue I’m now trying to troubleshoot.

When I get hit by something in a game on my right side, and that hit is indicated by any kind of sudden flashing, the entire right display panel just shuts off. This is followed a few seconds later by the left one, leaving everything pitch black with the game audio continuing and the game screen on my monitor showing everything as normal, then the whole headset crashes as well as SteamVR.

I thought it might have been because I upped it to 110hz, and I think I’m on the right track because setting it back to 90hz has stopped the full crash, however the full blackout still happens. It’s consistently the right side that fails, and also seems to be consistently when the hit particles happen on that side, as getting hit on the left seems to cause nothing. It first happened with Karnage Kronicles, then Until You Fall and now Pistol Whip. I can consistently get it to happen every time on Until You Fall, which is how I gathered the data on what seems to be causing it.

Anybody encountered a similar issue? Is this a setting I should be tweaking? A SteamVR update? It’s a new problem, and doesn’t seem to be going away, even after installing the patches that just came out for PiTool and the headset firmware.

this seems like a hardware issue if the monitor say everything is ok. maybe a loose connection? and than the controller failed to manage it correctly and shut the complete displays off. maybe the hardware support should investigate this issue…

I have the same problem with my 8K+ with the left display panel. If I get hit by a monster in Into The Radius which causes a bright red screen, the left display panel sometimes switches off and I have to reboot the headset to restore it.

Nah tried the cable just in case, didn’t change anything. I’ve had loose cables before with this headset, this isn’t the same. It’s almost like the flashes are overloading the display panel and it’s just going “Nope, I’m out.” I’ve just tried halving the backlight to see if a lower brightness would help, no change.

I’m hoping there’s a simple solution I’m missing before trying to tackle support, I’ve seen enough horror stories on here to not want to get involved with that unless I have no other choice. Though I’m beginning to suspect that the whole panel might be failing.

1 Like

Update: Following along my theory that the screen effect was causing something to trip a kill switch in the headset, I brought the refresh rate down to 72hz from 90, and so far, it’s working. My normal method of tripping it that worked 100% of the time before no longer does it. If I had to guess, something in the software can’t handle a bright flash refreshing that rapidly.

It started doing it start of July, so I’m guessing something they’ve done to either the headset firmware or the PiTools software has borked it, hopefully it’ll be fixed sometime down the line. For now, at least I didn’t have to replace it.

I’ll flick a message to their support team about my issue and fix, they likely won’t see any of this thread.

1 Like

Hello,

We will forward this to the technician, so they are aware of your issue and fix.
Thank you so much for the sharing.

But we suggest you to log a ticket to them, and ask them to diagnose the 90Hz problem.

Sincerely.

Already ongoing with your technician.

And the fix that Support gave me broke. Does anybody have a link to the latest 5k+ firmware so I can flash it? Can’t find it on the forums

Hi! You should find it here:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-firmware-links/26733

1 Like

Sorry, should have specified. Headset firmware, not Pitools. They got me to flash in an 8k+ firmware instead of the 5k+ headset I actually have.

They should be in the same thread, look through it? :thinking: For exemple “264B” ?

1 Like

Oh yup, I see them, thanks

1 Like

And all of them are dead links except one. Which is an 8k+ firmware -_- See, this is why I didn’t want to rebreak my headset just to show support, because now I’ve made it worse

1 Like

Yeah it seems pimax"s firmware links are dead.

Download pitool 253b it is on my google drive. There is p2.dfu in the dfu subdirectory.

It is firmware 255 and will be a 5k+ compatible firmware. If you have a spare pc can be an easy way to install to extract this firmware file.

I will take a look when I have sometime as I probably have a firmware file on one of my pc.

Also check this link

His collection of pimax software and firmware is quite extensive

https://community.openmr.ai/t/downloads-collection-of-piplay-pitool-software-and-similar/26122?u=heliosurge

3 Likes

I dont think that the Headsets Software responds to rapid flashing Lights Ingame, also the Particles are handled by the GPU and do not have anything special todo with SteamVR itself. I rather would guess that the Headset itself has an Power Issue, if it uses up too much Energy, the Voltage drops below a Limit where the Chips stop working. Set down the Brightness in PiTool if you can, otherwise you can get an USB Voltmeter for cheap too see if its between 4,75–5,25V.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.