Weekly Update May 14th / 21st, 2020 Discussion

Are you confident this has now been comprehensively done?

Not just material quality either. For example, does the feedback you have suggest most people are OK with distortion with one of the two foams? Just going by the forum, people need one or the other for acceptable comfort levels. Did you find any people who need more adjustment than possible with the two foam options and need something more?

And how about per user, over several hours use, especially on the native 75Hz refresh? Any additional fatigue complaints? I ask because I have really sensitive eyes, curse them, which means I can’t really use VR for more than 1-2 hours. But that also goes for contact lenses, fluorescent lights etc. Eg can’t use contacts with a computer. So I’m slightly worried that the lower refresh rate might reduce my use time even further than the 5k+, but I really really hope not.

Send me a 8kx with the MAS i can test it for you… I always have problems with vr headset like the pimax that it doesnt fit right(to far from the lenses) so i got a alot off distortion to a point thats it unplayable for me…

I ordered a 8kx a very long time ago,but i fear its got the same problems again…
I know more people who have the same problem.

I posted a couple of times my problems.

Best regards,

So are we getting any info about the X? @PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra or are we getting more non-answers.

1 Like

yeah it said 10 more days for the mas, it didn’t mention the 8KX unit itself.

1 Like

Getting sick of this game, i preordered on october 31st, WHEN WILL I GET MY HEADSET ???

If i treated my customers this way, i’d have been out of business a long time ago !
@PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra

4 Likes

The short answer is yes the combination of the comfort kit cowling, (two foam options) and the MAS considerably improve people who had issues before.

The MAS helps in a lot of cases because the force is linear from the back of the head and much more consistently applied than cloth straps. The foam selections allow you to vary the eye distance to the lens considerably and the CK slightly changes the angle from previous. On top of all that the X itself is far higher resolution than anything else.

The improvements make for a great combination that has evolved a lot since the early headsets 2 years ago.

PS: I would add on the X for the refresh rate you can always put the headset in scaler mode to jump into much higher refresh modes as needed. For me games like table tennis really benefit from that.

16 Likes

Thanks for the quick response, good to know the testing and feedback has gone well on these points. Look forward to hearing more on your info day, I hope it is still on schedule for May :slight_smile:

Re refresh mode yes indeed, I’ll be comparing both to see how it affects fatigue levels. I hope I can get away with native wherever possible esp for sims, and upscale for ‘rapid reaction’ games if native doesn’t cut it

3 Likes

i’ve been out of the loop for a while. If i’m not mistaken backers will get the SMAS for free when it will be ready for shipping. I should still have my 100€ coupon from ‘downgrading’ from the 8k to the 5k+. Can i use my coupon to receive the DMAS instead? Is this something that may be announced on the next Pimax Day? And when will that be? I’m interested in the DMAS but i won’t pay full price, knowing that i have the SMAS for free… Sorry if this has been answered before, and thanks to anyone who will kindly respond.

EDIT: in case, am also willing to trade (renounce) all remaining backers’ rewards (eye-tracking, etc.) just to get the DMAS.

2 Likes

I had the pimax 8kplus and the artisan with the new comfort kit.But i needed to sell it because it got pushed to far away from the lenses,because of that the distortion was terrible.

So with the 8kx it should be better only because of the thinner facefoam?
I realy hope so…

3 Likes

It is also supposed to be better due to the MAS.

1 Like

But i used the htc vive audio strap with the pimax8kplus and comfort kit…but it didn’t help a bit… I need to be far closer to the lenses.

1 Like

It would be so great if the “Normal FOV” selection would allow us to go for 90Hz without scaler. You could have 4K-ish PPI at 90Hz. Who else can do any of that? Pure bandwith-wise of Pixels/s that fits. 90Hz is really that certain barrier to catch for some, because they want to avoid nausea for fast rotational movements - for example when playing shooters like Pavlov, Onward, HLA, etc.

Anyway, great News regarding the Comfort Kit’s thin cushion option. I was someone who had problems with the thick one. Also, that Pimax delivers on its promise of modularity for the speakers - that’s fantastic. I can receive the 8KX I have ordered in October with the normal MAS soonish, and receive the Deluxe Speakers to mount later - when the design is ready and has been abused enough over and over again in QA to match the premium price, whatever they see fits. That is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you!

3 Likes

In the update it states… " it also allows certain 5K+ to run in 144Hz mode" - I’ve been out of touch with my Pimax for a while but can someone tell me why this mode only works on certain 5K+… and let me guess, the 5K+ which backers received are the ones that don’t work with this mode right?

I also noticed in the new update… Pimax is no longer offering Plan F… I placed an order for Plan F on May 13… looks like I did it in a knick of time… but is there any word about how long now I’ll have to wait to receive the kit?

1 Like

So the SMAS has a 10 day delay…and Pimax is now taking the position of sending the SMAS together with the 8kx so basically that means the 8kx has a ten day delay as well. Why wasn’t this mentioned? You keep throwing dates out…and you blow past every single one of them.

For the love of god just stop throwing random dates around, it does nothing but destroy your credibility. Does Pimax even care about how they are seen in the VR community?

Pimax day 3 WILL NOT be held in May either I can guarantee you that. Another passed deadline. Another missed mark. Same with shipping people their lighthouse before the 15th of May and so on and so forth.

10 Likes

That’s not how it works.

The 8KX is probably the throttling item during the picking anyway. All posts have indicated that.

That means a delay in just the SMAS is irrelevant and won’t stall 8KX orders a single day. It just means that if you wanted to purchase the SMAS as a single item, then you’d probably be affected.

But if they are shipping the 8kx and the SMAS together and the the SMAS was delayed by 10 days a mere 3 days before mass production was scheduled to begin(24th) how would that not effect the 8kx shipping schedule?

If only there was somebody who could clarify such things…

2 Likes

The fact that @PimaxUSA and @PimaxQuorra are dodging questions means either no one knows or they are too embarrassed to say what’s happening and I can’t decide which is worse.

Honestly I’m trying to be somewhat positive about this whole thing but it seems like the best way to deal with Pimax is pretend you never had contact with them and periodically check once every 3 months.

4 Likes

I mean at this point, even if there is a 10 day delay does it really matter all that much? You’ve already all been waiting for months (or even years at this point), so what’s 10 more days?

Also the reason they’re probably avoiding saying anything is while they have their own internal target dates and such, manufacturing/engineering/software development aren’t certain in how long they’ll take to complete. We’ve seen what happens when they carelessly give their target dates without fully accounting for all the potential delays, so I’m sure they’re swinging to the other end of hiding all prospective dates until they’re confident in them. Something that basically doesn’t happen until its finished.

Just my 2 cents, I suppose.

3 Likes

Thats all fine and dandy if it didnt happen on a weekly basis. We get new target dates with each weekly update and every single one of them is wrong.

As for your “its just another 10 days” lol well 10 days becomes 20 then 30 its not a 1 time thing. This happens EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Also 10 days could be the difference between me getting the headset before I leave on a 6 month deployment to the middle east. Which could mean the difference between the headset sitting out on my front porch in the elements for weeks. Pimax doesn’t like to actually TELL people when they ship things so I will most likely have no knowledge of it being delivered. The SAME thing happened to my backer headset, I was deployed and it sat on my porch and got rained on and could have been stolen. I only found out about it by chance from a neighbor. It had water spots all over it, luckily it wasn’t ruined.

So yeah, its a big deal to me. My deployment is in July, if I knew 7 MONTHS AGO that a product that Pimax assured us was only a few months from delivery is still a complete mystery as to if and when it will ever be delivered I never would have even bothered.

7 Likes

maybe they can begin production but wont send out for 10 days after it, so basicaly they will have a back order amound ready for day 10+ of send outs

2 Likes