Weekly Update 3rd June 2020 Discussion

I have no distortion with the actual facepad and CK, I hope this one will be included with the 8KX.
What really bothers me are the two holes for the glasses, I don’t wear glasses and there is light coming in throw it.
I hope we will get a version without the holes with the 8KX @PimaxUSA

6 Likes

Pimax has said that they will be making a variety of pads, with and without “holes for glasses”, differing thicknesses, and different materials. I think pleather was one of the future options. My understanding is that the first Comfort Kits (update: included with the 8KX) will ship with 2 foam pads (of differing thicknesses) and that both will probably have the cutouts for glasses.

That means you’ll need to buy an unnotched pad, which is not yet available. In the meantime, you can lower the room lights or find something to fill the gaps. I think you could make side flaps from gaffer’s tape (folded over on the end, so that the adhesive doesn’t touch your face), but I’m sure there are numerous ways to block the light. Unlike duct tape, gaffer’s tape has a cloth surface which feels nice against your skin and is easily and cleanly removable. I use it for all sorts of things (in addition to duct tape).

I use Prog-Gaff and like it a lot. For this use, I’d suggest the 2-inch wide black tape…
. https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Gaffer-Gaffers-Tape-Black/dp/B000QC0XZO

5 Likes

Added a link to the update in first post.

We should probably do that every time we do a “weekly update discussion thread”… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I think just playing in a pitch black room is the best solution for light leakage. No light, no leakage.

5 Likes

That’s what I do, except that I turn the dimmer down low, so I can lift up the headset to see my surroundings as necessary. It’s the simplest option, but some people can’t do that for various reasons (like sharing a room with others).

4 Likes

…or because their headset uses inside-out tracking. Obviously not the Pimax users but there is a number in this forum who use other VR headsets while they are waiting for their Pimax VR system to be completed, i.e. 6DoF & VR controllers…

2 Likes

If that is the case, infrared bulbs can help.

4 Likes

Why is it that when I read that sentence all I can see is “we are about to completely mess this up but are going to try to blame our end users by saying they didn’t respond to our email.”

. My understanding is that the first Comfort Kits will ship with 2 foam pads (of differing thicknesses) and that both will probably have the cutouts for glasses.

mine came with one 16mm foam pad :frowning:

2 Likes

Anybody gotten their email? I mean if Pimax really wants to ship out before june 9th, they should send out those emails like today the latest, you’d say?

2 Likes

Nope. Still waiting, still checking every few hrs!

2 Likes

I think you’ll be getting it today. At this point, I don’t think they’d dare to make up another false timeline chart. I believe them this time. They seem to have changed, things really are happening now it seems!

2 Likes

The only thing I’ll believe is when its actually in my hands.

I mean, in October/November they were saying they were going to start shipping in December and Martin said loaner labels would be going out “next week”, here we are 6 months later and they are still saying the same thing. Not sure why anyone would think this weeks “next week” is any more likely to be true.

And then a month ago they said a new “event” would be posted up by the end of May and we are now a week in to June still without a date for that “event”. Seems like business as usual, whats changed?

8 Likes

Every few hours?? I think you need a little more going on in your life. No offence meant.

I mean if I’m on my phone or computer anyways.

3 Likes

Oh, they forgot to mention that part… There’s 2 in each batch. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Sorry, I should have worded that better. The comfort kits which initially shipped did indeed come with only 1 face pad. Due to customer feedback, future kits, including those which will ship with the 8KX are supposed to have 2 thicknesses of foam.

At least that’s my understanding, based on recent Pimax employee comments.

2 Likes

Can we have a straight answer of how much is in a Batch?

3 Likes

PimaxUSA answered this a few days ago

2 Likes

That is literally the opposite of a straight answer. A straight answer would be a no. or a range of no.s .

5 Likes