Walkovr - VR locomotion

Got it… :wink: You’re a walking (“standing”?) VR locomotion dictionary, Marco! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I am fixated with making a way i like best for me for locomotion lol, but no matter the time and money i am putting in it, i can get it the way i want it lol
Sad

2 Likes

Yeah. I noticed… :wink:

I’m sure You’ll get it right at some point! Persistence (and money) is key… :smiley:

1 Like

It too much depends on the help from other people since i can’t code. So i have ideas that i can’t put in place by myself and instead i have to rely on other people that are many times not serious . They do not committ as promised. Annoying and frustrating

2 Likes

@MarcoBalletta

How would you compare this to the kat loco? I think you already tried one.

1 Like

I prefer katloco in terms of sideway moves and backward moves using legs, but katloco has a 1 sec delay from when u do the pose and actually you move in game. That it can be too much in some games. I brought that up with them but they said that that is not on their priority list. I hope backers like me will complain about it and push them to have that fixed.

I like that katloco is all wireless. Put on and go , with no wires, but the calibrarion would require a little more time compared to the quick calibrarion on walkovr.

Katloco does not have at the moment support for console gaming because it does not work with ceonusmax/xaim. I brought that up to them, and again, they said not in their priority list.
Katloco also are still developing their keyboard emulation so right now it would not work with pc games.

I like that kat loco have a way (on paper) to be used for any type of in game locomotion method (thumbpad sliding, joystick movement, press of thumpad, press of joystick) , but i did not test if right now it works for any game.

Walkovr is move versatile than katloco and has functions that katloco are still developing.
I think walkovr portal is great idea and make gaming plug and play while katloco software probably woukd have less already auto tuned games ready right now ans it would be more on us to test and see if that game work or not and play with the settings and then if not gettinf resukts touch base with katloco crew and hope they would get it done.

If it was not for the use of the chest for side moving and backward moving, i would havev been at peace with walkovr. But that for me is not perfect when thinking at locomotion where feet shoukd be needed snd not chest. Also the limitation of cronusmax for ps and xbox game is annoying.

This is why i am not fully happy with any of the 2 locomotion systems and i am working on my own based on arduino that anyone willing to mess with electronic could do at their own expense. At least would fix the limitation of the console gaming

2 Likes

Wonderful thanks!

I’m an early backer of Kat loco. If I understand correctly, you only concerns about kat is software related. I’ll surely put pressure too on the devs. I originally backed them up instead of Walkovr because of their background and experience in VR locomotion.

1 second delay might be a bit tricky for games like Pavlov actually. Hope it can be fixed in software.

Keep us posted about your own solution :wink:

2 Likes

If you can please complain too. Sideway and backward movements are delayed. You have to test and see if that delay is annoying for your experience though.
I find it awkward in fall out vr . I move my legs for backward and sideways movements, and then the movements happens not right away…not right for me.

I think walkovr are more ahead than katloco actually into how far are in the developing of this wearable locomotion systems

My diy arduino locomotion idea would just be an integration of the other locomotion systems. I have no way i can make it work well for everything. No money and not enough help from anyone.

It works now for console and pc gaming allowing variable speeds, bypassing the limitations of cronusmax/xaim in the case of console gaming. It already works allowing 2 speed instead of one of cronusmax. I am trying to think about adding the 3rd speed (walk very very slow) . I am also trying now to optimize the walking and running. This weekd the coder should send me a different circuit and code for that to make it even better. Let’s see if she commits. So many delays lately …

But for vr, i am not sure my arduino idea would work.
For that i need to rely on vive tracker custom made arduino controller whose joysrick i could control with the arduino locomotion method i am workimg on. But would probably not work in every vr game. It depends if and how the vive controller works in that game to allow locomotion. I am looking into that also.

I woukd hope that anyone with arduino experience would jump in and help out with coding and schematics.

I might be able to have the captosensors of captogloves work for vr gaming locomotion, if i can get captogloves fix their bugs in the software. But that is not the arduino based idea.

2 Likes

I wish I could help. But when you say Arduino, only thing coming to my mind is this:

3 Likes

Will do of I’m experiencing the same thing… :+1:

2 Likes

So far, can’t really say I’m impressed as I haven’t had it working successfully yet and the portal app keeps freezing:

Tried some of the obvious choices like Serious Sam series as they are mentioned specifically as supported. No movement in-game and when I try to check why in the portal app it’s frozen (and stays that way until I kill it).

EDIT: Just noticed the knee level was “0”… Setting it to 15 (after killing and starting WalkOVR again) and giving it another go… :wink:

According to the sensitivity parameters video on the downloads page 6 is too low (very small knee lifts and 35 is way too high).

EDIT2: That worked nicely. Tweaked it to 13 which (for now) seems to fit me… :wink:

EDIT3: I do agree with You @MarcoBalletta that the sideway and backward leaning for strafing and going backward is a bit awkward (but I’m only a few minutes in). Just doesn’t seem right.

On the positive side, my pulley system which I’ve tweaked a bit too to prevent the pulling in the headset (3 pulleys above head with one in the middle + a bit of slack on the cable directly above the head) is what’s mostly taking me out of the immersion now… :+1::upside_down_face:

EDIT4: I think the WalkOVR portal freezes if it looses the bluetooth connection as I noticed it froze again when turning the main unit off.

2 Likes

I think the portal app is not ready yet. I think they stated that in the latest kickstarter post.

They offer good tech support. You might want to contact them.

2 Likes

Yeah. They might wanna change the default knee level from zero… :wink:

An option between the “chest leaning” and “foot controlled” strafing and backwards motion would be good.

2 Likes

I wish that walkovr would work on an option between "chest leaning” and “foot controlled” strafing and backwards motion.; and that katloco would add on option to decresease the delay in foot controlled strafing and backwards motion

2 Likes

That would be perfect… :+1:

2 Likes

https://community.openmr.ai/t/kat-loco-kickstarter-coming-in-june-works-on-the-pimax/20256/94?u=drwilken

Please let me know what you think about the sideways and backwards motion with katloco. If you think the delay is an issue or not

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: KAT loco Kickstarter coming in June (Works on the Pimax)

@MarcoBalletta. Moved some of the KAT Loco related posts to the other topic :wink:

Received WalkOVR on Friday. Haven’t installed it yet but have charged the main sensor node. Still need to install software & read the instructions. But the Thank you letter a nice touch.

2 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: KAT loco Kickstarter coming in June (Works on the Pimax)

Sorry. Made a mess again and posted in the wrong thread… :slight_smile: