VR (still not) in Elite Dangerous Odyssey

Apparently, Frontier Development is considering adding VR to Odyssey, but it will not be in the initial release. Here’s a snippet…

Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous.

With regards to the Odyssey statement, there are as you can imagine, a multitude of factors in play when looking at how the VR experience could transfer to the new mechanics and features being implemented for this expansion. Hence why it will not be supported at launch.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

For more info…

4 Likes

Unfortunately offering no clarification or change in policy whatsoever. Title edited - added ‘(still not)’ for clarity.

As written, the policy is that Odyssey will not support VR at launch. As a result, VR players will have to run Horizons whenever possible, and take off their headsets (or restart to desktop and run VorpX) for whatever new mandatory grind has been added to Odyssey.

This is still FDev taking VR a huge step backwards overall for VR crossplay and quality of life.

1 Like

As many who are interested in Elite will have heard already, we‘ll at least get the cockpit parts of Odyssey in VR - the space legs portion will be available as projection while in VR. Not what we all had hoped for but better than nothing.

4 Likes

Thankfully, FDev seems to have found the good sense to announce a reasonable compromise. Let’s hope they actually follow through.

3 Likes

tbh i don’t really want to get up and walk around when i’m in a seated experience. and since many of us have standing rather than playspace we’d end up just teleporting or gliding around anyway. I’m not sure why they can’t just do that in the avatar, seated, rather than a cockpit projection.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.