VR benchmarks from UploadVR

Interesting read indeed.

“Benchmarking them was difficult because they appeared to be bottlenecked somewhere else, like the CPU, memory or storage even though I’m running a 16-Core Ryzen Threadripper system with 32GB of RAM and a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo. There’s really no bottlenecks that I can think of.”

Who benchmarks a gaming GPU on a Threadripper? If not a Gen8 i7/i5? why not the new Zen cards?

5 Likes

now i want one for the pimax… damm it lol

1 Like

will causes for my confusion never end

1 Like

What a bad review… After getting used to @Sweviver 's crazy reviews, how this UploadVr test looks poor :confused:

1 Like

Still no actual game benchmarks :confused:

2 Likes

Got my 2080 today, it’s a shame that the CPU and memory I have are a bit rubbish. That being said, it put me in the top 100 for benchmarks at 1080p on Ashes of the Singularity.

2 Likes

I guess this is potentially useful information. If your processor isn’t above X frequency, just get a 1080Ti.

2 Likes

Or get a 2080Ti, with the intent to upgrade your CPU in the future. That’s my plan.

1 Like

Fair, but at the price of 2080Ti, you might be able to get the 1080Ti and sort out the processor. Might have money leftover to start saving for the next GPU upgrade

3 Likes

I would not buy a new 1080Ti, it lacks a lot of important features for VR which will increase VR performance tremendously.
A used 1080Ti as a filler may be ok, but still risky.

3 Likes

True, but I don’t think I’ll actually need a new CPU for a few more years. Even though my CPU is ~5 years old, it was a top-of-the-line i7 when I bought it. It’s still faster than a lot of the current CPUs.

1 Like

tl;dr, don’t use a threadripper for gaming.

There’s frequency, but also the architecture. AMD still lags behind Intel in Instructions per Clock, so they need to run faster to have the same level of performance. Each of the two dies on the 1950X has a memory controller that controls a different bank of RAM sticks. To access memory stored in sticks from die 2 in cores from die 1 has to go through Infinity Fabric. This increases the latency and decreases bandwidth. It’s an awesome CPU, but not as well suited for gaming as the ZEN or i5/i7 chips. It’s better for content creators or folks that need a LOT of threads running (I’d wager no one here needs this).

1 Like