VISION 8KX and 120Hz upscale mode

But it will run 60Hz with Smart Smoothing on top.

And if not now, what about in one or two Years.

Or with eye tracking?

People just want to get as much value for their money as possible.

Not everybody backed the X for a crazy low price.

Some paid more than the price of an Index bundle for just the HMD… :wink:

4 Likes

yes, but I think they noticed early on that it was going to be difficult.
Think about the long search for the right lens.

it was / is only sad, Pimax could not admit that it will be more difficult than hoped. Understandable, but in the early phase no one would have resented them if it had only become 150 degrees.

it does not bother me. they did a great job. and the beginning is always difficult.

I’m not a baker, but I’ve watched the whole thing from the start. I hadn’t played in years, but the prospect of such a headset and SC made me build a good computer .

Up to that point I was working with a sony 4k cell phone and Zeiss cardboard for VFR flights and Trinus.

2 Likes

@SweViver. How is the behaviour between the optical cable versus the traditional cable. Is the optical cable more stable, does the optical hit 120Hz?

Edit: SweViver answers the following over at reddit.

My testings so far shows that it works just as stable as the normal cable. The normal (bundled) 8KX is 100% stable, but its only 5m long. The advantage with the optical cable is that we will be able to go longer (6-10m) with the same stability and signal quality.

I teally like that the optical cable is thinner and also a little bit more flexible actually.

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax_Official/comments/hki55s/pimax_vision_8kx_and_120hz_upscale_mode/fww9dws?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

1 Like

I agree. I rarely use the large view anyway, but I know that many others think differently about it.

The thing is the less of the panel You utilize the lesser PPD You get so it’s kinda wasted when using normal FOV.

On the other side, it’s easier to drive (but You could just turn down settings/supersampling).

Yes they did. Better than anyone else… :wink:

Me neither. Had just gotten into VR with a Vive and missed the Kickstarter, so I’ve just been watching since and was a very early pre-order customers instead (5K+).

3 Likes

A big group of the early testers implored pimax to reduce the maximum FOV to get rid of the distortions (which would also have had the effect of increasing the PPD), but they were ignored. Pimax made this rod for their own back and now they are stuck with it.

4 Likes

As an old projector/home cinema fan and owner, I know how much 50 and specifically 48Hz helps with movies. 72 will be there, and thats perfect for 24fps movies. 48 and 50Hz though, I think thats way too low to be used in a VR headset. Already 60Hz gives some flicker in bright scenes. I asked for 60Hz and I have tested a 60Hz firmware on 8KX, which does work great except for minor flicker due to the low Hz (no surprise). I will make sure the team adds it in next firmware as well. Either way, 60Hz will be the bare minimum available. Although lower is possible, we can’t include a refreshrate that could cause the majority of people to get epilepsy hehe…

7 Likes

Regarding lower FOV moded and higher refresh rates, it might be possible thanks to physical panel reduction as we mentioned at Day 2. But implementing things like takes more time, so I expect this is something the engineers could work on later this year, when all other things are sorted. Pimax have surprised you before, and Im sure it will happen again :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Just as a gentle reminder, while cinema does run at rates like 24/1.001, 24 and 25, they’ve used frame tripling for ages. Frame smoothing in VR is typically 1:2 while cinema is operating at 1:3. So for movies, 75 and 72 does pretty well (but 100 and 120 are naturally better, unless people start reacting to shutter window mismatches). For TV material we’ll want 100 and 120.

Also, for those asking for uncompressed video, you may be overestimating the cost of DSC. It doesn’t have the same types of artifacts as MPEG or JPEG compression. There’s no interference from frame to frame, no compression ratio higher than 3:1, no edge ringing. DSC is specifically optimized for computer graphics cases like flat colours and sharp features, and switches encoding methods to suit the specific image features. The average compression ratio target for the 8K X is close to 6:5. Well known video compression formats start with rough subsamplings like 4:2:0, which has a ratio of 2:1 with no regard for where detail was needed.

In short, the main reason people argue against DSC is that compression has a bad name. For the same reason, DSC isn’t clearly labelled or marketed, so people don’t know when it’s even in use, let alone being able to compare it on or off - because it’s only used when bitrate is otherwise insufficient. All the visual examples of it have exaggerated artifacts simply because the artifacts are what’s being discussed. Worse, in so doing they generally start out with compressed material thus adding on the artifacts we don’t have or want in real time graphics.

It’s a bit like arguing against Speex or Opus for internet telephony because overconverted hold music in telephones sounds bad.

6 Likes

Perhaps more X’s may already be shipping w/ upscaled 118hz, mine did.

11 Likes

This is for you.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317425815_Large_Scale_Subjective_Evaluation_of_Display_Stream_Compression

4 Likes

Can we work on getting native resolution refresh rate higher than 75 Hz? As an 8KX backer, I don’t have much interest in “up-scale” mode as it usually looks terrible.

1 Like

You can find the Answer upper in this thread…

1 Like

I just searched all of SweVicer’s posts in this thread. He doesn’t talk about trying to get higher than 75 Hz native.

When I first backed the 8KX, it was dual DP 1.4 cables and 90 Hz, then dropped down to 82 Hz. And now it is 1 DP 1.4 cable at 75 Hz. Below 80 Hz is where you start to notice flicker so not sure is this will be usable for me.

3 Likes

Ok, then it was a other thread…
Let me say, Pimax works on that.

But At time…
If you graphic card use DP 1.4 - never
DP 1.4a - maybe
DP 2.0, + optical cable - better chance… but, there is no graphic card with DP 2.0 on the market at time.

The only way at this time is, to reduce the FOV and then increase the frequency

Edit, yes dual cable and graphic card are also a Solution, but this needs other electronic inside.

I can tell you, I notice no flicker in the 8k+ with 75Hz ( or was 72?)

3 Likes

Actually, to remove some of the FOV from the ends to get to 90 Hz would be ideal. I’d rather have that extra 15 Hz and 140 FOV vs 75 Hz and 170 FOV or whatever it turns out to be.

9 Likes

hope also, we have 80-90Hz for normal FOV in the near future

7 Likes

It is a good example. Using specific 200x300 sections of image, while flickering the artifacts to make them stand out, people were able to note the flickering image looked worse in 3 of 15 cases. The image “female striped horsefly” was clearly easier to tell apart, as were “Storm” and “Tools”. VR, by comparison, doesn’t have static display and benefits from noise to cover for poor dynamic range and/or too flat textures.

Note also that the worst results shown were at or below 8bpp (that’s per pixel, not channel) - which is the minimum for the actual streamed DSC format (3:1 compression). The report is of great use in finding test cases that can be detected (and therefore potentially further optimized), but largely confirms the “visually lossless” moniker.

4 Likes

It’s in another thread:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/interest-lack-of-interest-discussion-for-pimax-8k/20058/155?u=drwilken

2 Likes

Any work on what kind of hz improvement if any when running the 8kx in native mode at normal FoV instead of large?

1 Like

@SweViver why not approach the bandwidth limit differently: select 90Hz and calculate the fov pimax is able to do in 90hz on the 8kx. Of course only if the receiving chip in the headset is flexible enough. Actually, if you can do large fov in 75hz, shouldn’t it be possible to run normal fov in or close to 90hz?

7 Likes