Very small field of view, black reflective borders, like blinkers, same on all versions of piplay

I did the same thing, pushing the bottom left and right sides out. First with foam, then with chair socks. Not sure if they are available anywhere else. They are like baby socks. I pushed each of the bottom sides in to the socks and stuck them to the pimax velcro. It is the only thing so far that pushes it far enouch from my face.

Pimax has been having display quality problems now a long time and although Pimax has a 4K LCD panel the Firmware/Software does not make good use of it.
In fact at the moment, Pimax does not even render a good quality 1920 X 1080 display.

The biggest concern I have is that Pimax does not even acknowledge there is a problem and so the fixes we are all waiting for are not likely to happen anytime soon.

You can be sure that Oculus and Vive and others are not just sitting around and we can expect upgraded version of these products to begin to appear this year and when this does happen itā€™s likely to spell big trouble for Pimax sales, because they are just not fixing the main problems with the product.

At the moment, the Pimax display quality is worse than my Google cardboard and iPhone.
And my $30 cardboard unit has fully adjustable lenses for both IPD and focus so I donā€™t need to wear glasses.
Pimax made a VERY poor design decision when they fixed the lenses in place, assuming that everyone had perfect vision and an Asian shaped face.

For me, the main thing that has come out of buying Pimax is to teach me what to look out for when buying my next VR headset.

1 Like

Itā€™s no secret the reason why most are still dealing with Pimaxā€™s shortcomingā€™s is because there just isnā€™t any other options but when that time arrives, Pimax will be up the creek without a paddle.

Innovation without direction leads competition to supersede.

There is no way I would grab an Pimax 8K if an quality 4K HMD was released.

I agree. They didnā€™t do enough research before release. One of the issues seems to be that Orientals when have vision issues are that the majority are near sighted which has caused the issue of not considering far sighted. Manual focal adjustment should have been a no brainer.

Then with the Pimax team unable to understand the ghosting & visual quality degrade in their 1.2x versions is bordering on ludicrous.

Truth i am waiting in seeing some ā€œrealā€ reviews on 3glasses blurbur s1 as with qhd per eye, camera & leap motion like features & DP should be considerably better.

It will be an absolute minimum of 2 years before the vive or Oculus brings out a 4k display IMO, as 4k OLED displays are very difficult to manufacture to a small size and very expensive, hence why pimax made their own and Sony chose not to use OLED also. It is also guaranteed to be around the Ā£1000 mark.

The current HMDs from Oculus and HTC are very hard to sell, with sales becoming rather stagnant afer initial adopters purchased, since most canā€™t afford them and hardly any games exist even after 1 year that arenā€™t independant, short and often badly made, with the exception of simulators. No big titles exist for VR yet and the costs are high so there is no incentive for Vive or Oculus to make any advances, hell Oculus havenā€™t even had their controllers out long and are having all sorts of legal issues so I think a 2nd gen headset is the last thing on their mind.

Onix Vr looks to be the only hope for a decent 4k 120hz Vr within the next 2 years, they say this year but i am betting it will be delayed. StartVR looked promising at first but the DPI wonā€™t be that high i donā€™t think as itā€™s just 2 1440p displays side by side, so 2 low dpi screens. Lower than i would think is needed anyway but maybe iā€™m wrong. Iā€™d love to see a 4K vive or Oculus, but after just 1 year since the 1st gen and limited tech and content i doubt it will happen until late 2019 at the earliestā€¦but I HOPE I am wrong and that they can do it for an affordable price sooner but i canā€™t see it happening.

Honestly, I just donā€™t understand why the push to full 4K resolution.
Iā€™m totally not interested in watching movies in the HMD when I have a 65" full 4K UHD smart TV.
Yes, I may watch a short video or similar, but not a full movie. Too anti-social.

For VR game playing, a display that renders 1280 X 1440 per eye (2650 X 1440 dispay) at say 75Hz would produce an excellent quality image.

Yes 2650 X 1440 per eye would be better, but itā€™s not necessary for a great quality image in a HMD. Both Oculus and Vive have less than 1280 X 1440 and display a good image and have higher fps than Pimax.

Yes higher resolution displays would be great in the future, but the industry needs to take measured steps rather than try to scoop the pool like Pimax tried to do and is now having difficulty achieving their published specs. All it has done is raise hopes and the then dissappointment.

I think that Pimax should produce an hardware upgrade kit for Pimax4K which would include the following.

1. A Displayport or HDMI 2.0 interface rather than the current standard HDMI.
  2. A replacement lens assembly that includes mechanical focus and IPD adjustments.
  3. Increase the true fps to 75 for 1280 X 1440 display resolution.

If this was done it would make Pimax a better VR unit than both Oculus and Vive. Would resolve most of the current issues and could be done quickly (maybe a few months).

Well this is what I would do if I was in charge of Pimax :slight_smile: Ha Ha!

This would be an excellent idea
Currently the lenses are focused on a very short focal plane, making anything in the distance a blurry mess.
This might be fine in the current iteration of VR games since very little have vast open spaces, but in titles like ELITE it is kind of a problem when the interior of the ship is cristal clear but anything in the distance is hard to see

Iā€™m glad iā€™m not the only one having the same issue in ED. I am hoping that playing around with the settings might improve that but I havenā€™t found the correct combination yet if it in fact it does exist.

Supersampling reduces the issue a bit but you can only supersample so much on current hardware

The only way to get objects in distance to not be blurry would be to use a 8k screen and play in 8k, Its nothing to do with the pimax, i also had a vive and in elite distant objects are about 3 times more blurry than in the pimax

4k in vr is still a very low resolution to use in vr so nothing will make it as clear in the distance as a monitor, rendering the game in full 4k would still only be half that per eye. If you want crystal clear distant objects you need to wait for a 16k screen, 8k will be clearer if its 1 full 8k screen but 16k is the ultimate goal. Ps the new pimax is not 8k itā€™s 2 x 4k which is the same dpi as the current model just wider so wonā€™t be any clearer i donā€™t think. DPI is just as important as res if not more so, hence why supersampling only goes so far to improve quality. Close objects are clear as they can use more pixels, distant objects only use a few, and in vr won`t have enough to match the distance clarity of a 1080p monitor until we reach 16k as we only use a small section of a very magnified screen.

I bought a pimax myself recently.
And it always seemed to me that the field of view is small. I compared with BoboVr Z4, glasses for the phone, cardboard. And there the review was wider.
Now, having stumbled upon this topic, I am definitely convinced of this.

Removing foam I encountered large borders, curtains on the sides, which also reflect. That is, the closer the eyes to the lenses, the greater the boundaries. At this field of view does not increase.

And apparently, this does not change, the viewing angle can not be increased. This is such a constructive problem PiMAX. That is, it is not programmable to increase the field of view, the mask effect.

Or maybe there is another solution that increases the field of view, and so that the margins on the sides are not visible?

1 Like

The black borders seem to be much more noticable in Steam VR mode as opposed to extended mode

Try pulling hmd away from the face. If you find the border effect better. Take peal n stick velcro & make a spacer for the foam. The foam around the goggle is attached by velcro. One user has used & reported that vive foam works pretty good.

Also if you find discomfort around the nose; peal n stick insulation foam/weather stripping works well.

The rubber like insultion mighr be good for spacer for goggle foam just attach hook velcro to each side.