Version 3 prototype review

Agreed but atm its a hurdle there working on. Its also posdible we might need a test on a desktop as while the Laptop has desktop like performance its not a desktop.

@deletedpimaxrep1 @Matthew.Xu @PimaxVR @bacon

Have yous used a full desktop to test the current refresh rate to see if it gives higher than 75hz?

Agreed, they better not attempt to ship a 75hz device, but on the other hand it is not really fair to judge them based on prototypes? I mean, many kickstarters have far less to show at this point.

My main worry is the January ship date. It seems overly optimistic. Personally i expect it to be delayed a month or two in the best case.

1 Like

Lol what is brain warp then if they are not demoing it ? And the 75Mhz issue seems hardware related also this is not a pimax 4k this is an expensive device Don’t set people up to except a Product that runs 75 MHz ,only a response from pimax will clear this up and it’s up to people to except it if they want it or not ,I’m sure anyone Who used a vive or an oculus will NOT except this, hope this is not the case .

did not realise brainwarp had yet to be shown. If it does work as advertised then all this becomes a non issue.

Their answer to evertec seems to indicate a hardware problem not software.

normally a headset will render the entire image 90 times per second.

What brainwarp does is render each eye one after another at double the speed. so fast that you cant perceive it.

This may sound like a non difference but the difference should be pretty staggering. It means what would traditionally be 75 hz would feel to your brain like 150.

I asked the CEO what refresh rate it was and at first he said 90hz, but when we pushed him and asked if this demo here was actually running at 90 he then said no

sounds like a lie to me

all he had say was no but 90hz is coming and i would have been fine with that

I know what brain warp is, i was just making fun of a software marketing gimmick that has never been demoed and even if it has it appears is not working and people Relying on it when they don’t see it

It was a desktop that I tested the v3 on

When you are the designer, the distinction between where the product is and where it will be once finalized is not so obvious.
For instance if he was asked if the pimax has physical IPD adjustment while demoing the v2, I think a short yes answer is acceptable, not that the v2 has it already built, but it’s already designed and planned so saying yes is understandable to me.

Now if the question was specifically “is 90Hz already implemented in v3” and the answer was yes, then it’s a lie.

I’m pretty sure it was more like:
Reviewer: “Is this running at 90hz?”
Pimax: “Yes”
Reviewer: “This doesn’t seem like 90hz…”
Pimax: explanation of why it’s not running at 90hz

We have heard this same story from other reviewers, but Pimax never admitted that it was running at 75hz before the v3 prototype.

Edit:
Personally, I’d like to hear more on the status of the brain warp technology. Seems like it will be important for getting lower end graphics cards working smoothly with the 8K, so hearing speculation that it hasn’t even been fully implemented yet makes me a bit worried.

I am going to wait for their answer and as I said we have 4 days to cancel our pledge.

I hope we won’t see Pimax offering free controllers for the $50K stretch goal in 3 days.

Yep, same. I don’t think any more stretch goals are needed personally.

i dont think it would be possible to hit another stretch goal. unless a bunch of people bought 5k’s and i dont think people are here for the 5k.

The subpixel arrangement is rgb. I think they disclosed that to tomshardware.

$50K stretch goal

Was a joke, if too many people cancel their pledge…

1 Like

Those images looked weird. Plus they haven’t let anyone shoot pics of the displays.

I will keep my pledge anyway even if they only can maintain 75hz at this moment. There is a lot of improvemnt over my vive. Vive at very beginig wasnt perfect at all and i have to wait six month since gtx1080 show up and games like Elite Dangerosu starts to be playable.

1 Like

Let’s hope we get some more details about what’s going on.

2 Likes

Pimax 8K | Prototype Impressions & Detailed Hands-On Look - YouTube 10.19 mark shows a close up of pixel arrangement.