Version 3 prototype review

If the board is not performing as expected, then I cant see it being a simple fix.

The worrying thing is, that they have kept quite about it and even asked or prevented some reviewers from mentioning it. Its something they must of known about since V2, I dont understand why they didnt come clean and say they were working on it. Its not as if they were not going to meet their kick starter goal.

Yeah I’m Going to pull my pledge if pimax does not get in front of this any kind of Sim game project cars ,elite dangerous will feel like shit cause of this .

1 Like

You guys need to relax, there are 4 days left to get an answer from Pimax.

3 Likes

If you relax nothing will happen if we didn’t pressure them to show other games other than fruit ninja We would have never known about this issue Kickstarter would’ve came and gone and we all would be left with a Device that sounds awesome but runs at a mobile spec

there is. Its the 8k x design. worst case thats the solution. They have 3 months to figure it out.

That’s most definitely not a solution unless they are planning to refund any 8K backers who can’t afford SLI GTX 1080 Ti.

I am all to pressure them to get an answer, I am saying it’s a bit early to cancel our pledge.

1 Like

To be clear, the 8kx needs a 1080 ti, possibly in sli to run its panels at actual 4k per eye, not up-scaled like the regular 8k. An 8k running with 2 chips would actually be huge overkill for running the display at upscaled which is why i imagine it would be a last option.

I’m an 8kX backer so i’m fairly certain I’ll be fine but if you don’t make a stink about this all you 8k backers will lose out, if pimax needs to push back the release date If they have to but 75Mhz is not an option.

1 Like

Don’t be sending me a 75hz headset when it clearly states on the kickstarter.

4 Likes

I guess time will tell, I am like 99% sure a single GTX 1080 Ti isn’t powerful enough to render to 2x 4k screens at 90hz…

3 Likes

It’s not rendering 2x 4K screen by the way. They are up scaling 1440p to 4k.

I’m talking about the 8K X, which is supposed to be native 4k per screen. The standard 8K is upscaled from 1440…

Agreed. Now if folks think about it. Atm Brainwarp has not been demoed as if yet. With Brainwarp can also smooth things up in the 75hz by. Creating a perceived 150hz.

But I don’t beleive there lying about things. I think it comes down the team is atm stretched (team members filling multiple rolls) and language can often cause confusion in translation.

Imho they are trying there best; but due to a variety of issues including no clear standards in reporting VR specs is established. Kevin (Tom’s Hardware) and I were discussing this as one of the difficulties in comparing headsets. We also discussed some ideas on how to benchmark headsets to have good repeatable tests to be able to compare headsets properly. It will take sometime but keep reading up on Kevin’s Articles.

1 Like

I wont cancel my pledge just yet, They have 3 - 4 days to come clean and tell us why they kept it quite and give guarantees that it can be fixed.

I don’t mind waiting longer but 75hz for flight sims and driving sims would be a killer, especially as I normally play on a motion simulator.

If they cant offer a guarantee, although I’d be hugely disappointed. I will simply cancel and wait for the next best thing to come along.

2 Likes

Also read the specs. 75hz to 90hz. The 90hz will come to those cards that can support it. Just need to be patient.

1 Like

Agreed, I think we can all agree that having a high refresh rate is the most important part about a VR experience. The onset of motion sickness happens nearly instantly for me when the FPS tanks.

Edit: But hopefully what @Heliosurge said is true. If they can artificially increase the 75hz to 150hz without us noticing that would be acceptable. Not sure why they aren’t demo’ing the brainwarp technology at this point, though, so hopefully the technology actually works.

1 Like

Fluke I’d reccommend checking the forum (search) there is a fellow or 2 that have Motion seat setup & as i recall are using the 4k model @60hz.

@Enopho & @lukeb also use the 4k with titlesvlike ED. Granted these fellows i don’t beleive have a motion setup.

So let them be direct and tell which video cards will work at 75Hz and which ones will work at 90Hz.

Because so far, if not lying, this information is very little detailed. And it needs to be better explained.

There are 2 things here, seems like some people for some reason were expecting a fully working prototype by the end of the KS campaign (basically looking for 0 risk, which is not what KS is), and then there are people who feel like Pimax lied about their progress.
Personally I just think that Pimax is not very good on PR.

2 Likes