Varjo Launches VR-1 with Retina-quality Fixed-foveated Display & Eye-tracking, Priced at $6,000

https://www.roadtovr.com/varjo-vr-1-retina-fixed-foveated-display-launch-release-date-price/ $6k LOOOOOL if it was $2k-$3k alright. Not too bad for retina display. But $6k for 110 fov? don’t know about that one chief. Anyone thinking of getting it? I’m still interested even with this price

5 Likes

It’s not targeted for gamers, support should be very limited. Would love to have one though, also there’s a $1k license fee per year.

3 Likes

Interesting. Cost is $6K + $1K per year service license. Market is for professional use (ie. not consumers).

3 Likes

“Varjo VR-1 is not currently compatible with existing SteamVR applications. To port your SteamVR application for Varjo VR-1, you will need to apply some changes to the project before being able to run it on the Varjo VR-1.”

2 Likes

Maybe we’ll see wider adoption of the technique at one point in time, it’s more economical to have a small high res panel in the center of the FOV, could be difficult to manufacture though.

2 Likes

Probably needs the Nvidia Foveated rendering plugin (MRS) to be implemented.
Looks dead on arrival for non business use.
This might also be “bad news” for all HMD’s because it sounds like this foveated rendering can not be done at the driver level. Would like to know how Pimax’s FFR works.

1 Like

Yeah, their specs show just 87 degrees fov.

3 Likes

I’d rather buy the odyssey plus at 299

2 Likes

Less FOV for the price of your two eyes.

= Meh

4 Likes

Small FoV renders it practically useless. The high res focal is interesting but still with visible edges a report suggests…
Without first hand impressions I guess StarVR was more promising.
A full RGB oled could do the trick for Pimax too.

1 Like

87 degree fov lol…just shows the bargain us backers got believing in pimax

2 Likes

FOV is sub standard but you’re not seeing the full picture.

Some things, like fine surface textures, are revealed with stunning detail where they would be outright invisible at a more common resolution. Scenes captured with photogrammetry—which already look impressive even on high-end consumer hardware—take on a whole new level of breathtaking detail when seen through the Varjo headset.

as close to any “wow” moment I’ve had in my years covering an industry full of exciting innovations.

Hype, maybe. Not for gaming, definitely.

1 Like

it seems to have lighthouse 2.0 and (basic?) steam vr support so at least someone could test it with games

beside the low fov there is also the fact that the eye tracking is just a input gimmick, the hires display is fixed to the center (not moving with your gaze) so if you act natural and move your eyes you will loose the hires, you will have to center with your head on purpose to not loose the hires or get it back
also its no solution for focal plane problem
imho the only people that might be extremely happy would be the virtual desktop users?
just seen from the gaming point of view, there are good uses in development, construction and marketing for this hmd

1 Like

87 is not too bad considering the full 60 ppd in the very center.

Smaller view than any device out there though.
Don’t get me wrong I’m *super excited to see any new VR device come out. I’m a VR fan.

3 Likes

FOV is probably only that small so that they can have a more uniform change in ppd from foveated display to the context display. 87 degrees (for the regular vive pro panels) would bump the PPD on those ever so slightly.

1 Like

download

Do they still want to sell such vr heardets?

No , thanks .

My next headset will be only an headset that can deliver the fov of the starvr. Resolution is nothing without immersion

2 Likes

I don’t think that these non-consumer headsets are intended to be immersive. I think it’s more likely that they are intended for commercial VR applications which require reading small text and seeing small details.

1 Like

But an xtal has more or less the same price and if xtal would give me the same fov of the starvr, I would buy it right now.

I am a consumer and I would pay the price of an xtal for a fov as big as my sight

XTAL and StarVR commercial use is often VR parks/arcades.
The selling point is the high res display in the center, peripheral vision is just an afterthought but 87 is admittedly a low number.

You’d buy a pickup truck for construction work and not a sports car, your reservations are valid but your point is moot.