Users that have both 8k and 5k+

You enjoy both yet use the 8K more. I believe Heliosurge prefers the 8K also. You have set the 5K+ specifically for sim playing it seems. Therefore, enjoying both is not the same as enjoying both equally. TheSwanCollective has always maintained a definitive preference for the 8K whereas some people can’t seem to do that. I mean in your case, why isn’t the 8K hard mounted to the sim platform and the 5K+ used for your other gaming? It appears based on what you said then the 8K is better in the games you mentioned (subnautica, Robinson, the Solus project). Now these are adventure/action games where some people would argue the 5K+ clarity benefits more. However, perhaps the softer image of the 8K is actually better from an artistic point of view, as Swan points out, less “pixelated” looking. Perhaps then some people enjoy sharp jagged edges on their TV by bumping the sharpness up to 100 whereas others prefer less.

I think a new thread/poll needs to be made:

Q: for users who own both headsets. Currently which do you use more?

2 Likes

Well just my 2 cents but my 8k works with no issues what so ever. I notice zero latency, zero wobble, the thing works amazing. My only grip is some games seem a little blurry like skyrim even maxed. and others like project cars look really clear. But hey skyrim is an old game so I am not sure I can blame the headset.

7 Likes

Did you turn TAA and dynamic resolution off in Skyrim?

2 Likes

um no i dont think so I left everything at maxed. Would that help?

1 Like

TAA adds aggressive amount of temporal antialiasing and dynamic resolution reduces resolution on the fly depending on performance (not good). With these two settings off Skyrim is pin-sharp, although you will get more aliasing so it’s a trade-off.

4 Likes

I will try now if this works you are a god thank you. Its really what I bought headset for and was disappointed that I couldn’t get it to look good. Now if I could only get ark survival evolved to work. lol

Wow just wow. awesome thank you very much for the help it looks amazing. I no longer am doubting my 8k purchase. That was the only thing making me think damn this isn’t sharp enough but now its perfect I made the right choice with the 8k. Thanks again for the help.

10 Likes

Now you can install bunch of texture mods, if you haven’t already, and turn it into awesome looking VR game :slight_smile:

Don’t feel so bad choosing between the 5k+ and 8k is like choosing between two new meals you never tasted just by looking the photos in the book recipes :grinning:

3 Likes

The bigger reason is that Pimax has fixed the “black dots” issue, which swayed me.

5K+
Pros: Crisp, 90 Hz refresh, most people who’ve tried both prefer it
Cons: Blacks and colors aren’t as good, pixels are more visible

Pros: Better blacks and colors
Cons: 80Hz refresh, color fringing (due to R/B G checkerboard grid)

In a few years, I’ll probably be getting a new headset anyway. Hopefully, it will be an OLED version of the 8KX.

4 Likes

It probably doesn’t matter much

. My understanding is that both look great, and the differences are rather subtle. Besides, at this point, A better headset will probably be out within in a year, and it may be time to change again.

That said,- when choosing, I just keep going back to the first post I saw in the first few minutes after the NDA was released, when I saw the comparison shot of the cockpit gauges with the 5K+, and 8K.

It’s been 5k+ for me since that moment with no waiver.

4 Likes

oke you put it in order for yourself, so that the black dotfix did it tells me you like the pros of the 5k+ more. I thought the same before trying them :slight_smile: and as i didn’t notice the black dots myself on the demomodel it was never a point of consideration for me. But enough about it i don’t want to make you doubt, i’m sure you will enjoy your choice.

2 Likes

I believe that 99% of all people couldn’t tell the difference between 80 and 90 hz.
They confuse the framerate eventually dropping to 30fps with 80hz.
Constant 80hz should look smooth to every eye I guess.
So no downside of the 8K in my opinion. Most problems these days seem software related. One tip of a savvy forum member and suddenly Skyrim looks crisp on the 8K :smiley:

7 Likes

yes and considering the oculus go has standard 60hz and pimax 4k 60hz heard nobody complane about it as far as i know. The 80 hz is not negative for me, as i do not notice it and it’s a 10% gain

1 Like

:laughing: I’ll always have doubts, unless I somehow get a chance to try the other headset. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it. Both types have different downsides and the black dot fix tilted the balance back towards the 5K+.

One pro I didn’t mention above is the $100 credit. With the KS reward coupon, that becomes $200 off for a wireless module. That’s a very appealing offer.

Nor for me. Keep in mind that Pimax has stated that they will have additional framerate options in PiTool (60, 72, and 80 are most likely, but the final numbers have not been announced).

1 Like

oke i don’t care about wireless myself, i don’t know about healthrisks with such a thing close to your brains for hours. About the price the 8k is 200 usd more retail, i will get more if i sell it.

1 Like

Another opinion Is THIS the Best VR Headset? Pimax 8k and Pimax 5K Plus Hands On! - YouTube

Seen that and he seems to think the 8K is smoother playing or more responsive than the 5K+ which might be at odds with the reported 90hz vs 80hz. He also does not mention the colour differences aside from “more chromatic abberation or aliasing” . The other issue is it is common knowledge and even suggested on the official store page that you might want to use a better GPU for the 8K. So take me for example with an RTX 2080 Ti, I can super sample a little to gain some more clarity if desired. Sure I can SS the 5K+ for more clarity, but I don’t think that’s an issue given how most folks are fine with vanilla 5K+ visuals. So I can bring the 8K closer to the 5K+ but with the benefit of darker blacks and slightly better colours. Super Sampling isn’t an option when people are trying vanilla HMDs at events like CES so the vanilla comparison is always going to make the 5K+ appear better unless people are looking at VR from a more artistic point of view.

he seems to be another one with the clarity mindset :slight_smile: . He said it before trying, wich one has the best clarity, that says enough for me. Allmost all other things where not were not discussed. Pixeldensity, pixel arrangement, colors etc…

@Ludiks put some video up about 8k and i remember him saying he got better results with lower ss ,he,s stoked with his 8k and says the improved software has helped lots 8k or 5k+? My Opinion + 10 BEST VR GAMES 2018 (Eng) - YouTube

edit ,ok just watched it again and its just about recommending the auto setting ,he still stoked

:ok_hand:t3:

1 Like