[Updated] 8K Arrived Monday 25th Feb 2019, it's not plug and play but after tweaking it's amazing

Did i get added in the earlybackers group? how do i access it

1 Like

Out of the box settings yes, but I had a play around last night and Iā€™m a lot happier, in fact I would retract a lot of my initial impressions. I will edit my first post to make that clear.

3 Likes

ahh nice, so how did you improve sharpness? Do you think itā€™s pretty sharp enough now?

I tried different pitool multipliers and SteamVR sliders trying to get as close to multiples of 1440 vertical res as possible.

Then itā€™s game by game tweaking.
PC2 everything to high with antisoptropic at x16, in game supersampling the higher the better
Elite Dangerous I just put everything on Ultra

I ran out of time for AC and other games, but theyā€™re my main 2 games anyway.

2 Likes

Yes please do update your first post.

Not what one wants to hear to be honest.:wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve updated my first post, out of the box it was blurry. With tweaking itā€™s the dogā€™s danglies

5 Likes

I donā€™t think the generic head strap helps very much , the headset needs to be firmly fixed in the sensitive sweet spot

1 Like

Me too :slight_smile:
20 characters

Hallelujah :metal:ā€¦

2 Likes

What is this Earlybackers that some people are added to but other not? :slight_smile: just curious.

No 8k is definitely more clear than rift lol

5k+ is just slightly more sharp.

Not yet.

@anon74848233 please add to earlybacker

Sounds like ypu made things complicated. Didnā€™t have that problem with default settings. Just adjusted in game settings mainly on both headsets.

Earlybackers group is a sub cayegory in 8k for backers.

@anon74848233 please add to earlybackers

I got my Pimax too, what is this ā€œearly backer groupā€ about??

Admittedly Iā€™m not an expert, but just firing it up it was blurry, and to appeal to the masses it has to be plug and play, it just isnā€™t yet. I didnā€™t do anything other than connect it up and start the games, so how did I make it make it complicated? donā€™t really understand that comment sorryā€¦

Most of us have just fired it and adjusted in game settings leaving pitool at x1 & steam at default. Now in steam under advanced turn off Advanced ss filtering.

Default values should look clearer than rift hands down. As @SweViver said with settings default & adjust in game settings generally works best.

I would be curious if you would have had the same xp with the 5k+ as they perform similar & 5k+ is just slightly sharper.

1 Like

Ah, I didnā€™t turn off Advanced SS in SteamVR maybe that was the issueā€¦

I am sorry now that I didnā€™t get both a 5K+ and an 8K so that I could compare, but to be honest the 8K is impressive enough now Iā€™m getting there with the settingsā€¦

1 Like

No need to be sorry. Just curious thatā€™s all. Quite the expense tbh. As well having both can be a bane as well; since they both have different pluses & minuses.

I was just more curious as per the og rift compare out of the box. I had some early issues on the 8k/5k but that was due to cpu i5 6500 just didnā€™t cut it.

Your system though definitely stronger & on par with my r7 2700x.

But likely due to the titles you jumped into requiring tweaking. I know hellblade is like that; and should br expected as such since on vr v1.0 min rec is a 1080. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

Agreed that the Pimax headset is certainly not a plug and play device at least for someone new to VR.
Iā€™m having super hard time adjusting the headset placement correctly, itā€™s about balancing with the world transformation/binocular overlap/blurry edges etc. And Iā€™m using the DAS, in fact havenā€™t even opened the box where original strap is, or at least where it should be. Same with the wall adapter box, thanks to @lgbeno

And then thereā€™s the performance vs quality tweaking, a whole different story.

Gotta say though I havenā€™t had any of the headset not detected etc. issues. Had a small problem with the lighthouses disappearing, but got it solved.
I see a few ā€œsparksā€ on the dark background, but not that much that itā€™s bothering me.

3 Likes