Upcoming Headsets to Keep any Eye on

Interesting though. If you want to use the Aero with inet apparently you need an offline license! :person_facepalming:

4 Likes

you mean, ā€œwithout internetā€ ?

2 Likes

Yes Varjo Aero seems to require an online connection to use; unless you pay $500 :us: to license offline mode use.

2 Likes

The only thing I see on Varjo site in Aero specs is:
ā€œAn internet connection is required for setup and every three months for software updates.ā€
Nothing on ā€œoff-line licenseā€ on order page and system requirements" that I can see.

2 Likes

That is really scummy practice imo.

will turn a lot of people away with this alone.
got to be alt ways to bypass thisā€¦

1 Like

Yeah found that odd too but lots of links in a search on the offline license and their resellers seem to have a direct sku.

As I read their site you donā€™t need a business license for the Aero (VR2 and 3 do) but can get a private license which doesnā€™t require a subscription or a Internet connection except as described for updates. That said, one will need a connection to run much of SVR anyway.
I suppose concerned parties could just ask them for clarification on this.

2 Likes

SteamVR 2.0 launches in BETA.

Now itā€™s hard not to get excited when we see a big software upgrade especially when itā€™s just before metas launch of the Quest3.

Could we see an Index 2.0 announcement too?

1 Like

An interesting thing to point out in the chart, it lists Quest3 as having gen1 optics while Pico5 has gen2 optics whatever that means. FOV? Less glare?

1 Like

The main purpose of this leak seems to be to distract from the Quest 3 announcement and to dampen the excitement about it.

So labelling the Pico pancakes as gen 2 as opposed to Quest 3ā€˜s being gen 1 seems to fit in well.

IIRC, the pancakes of the Picoā€˜s were said to not be of the same quality as those of the Quest Pro. In that sense Pico should hope to be able to catch up to Meta with their Pico 5 pancakes rather than the other way around, right? Honestly, the resolution would be a tangible fact which would get me excited (Pico 5 PM, that is); but this ā€žgen 2ā€œ vapor statement with no information whatsoever what would make them allegedly superior to the competitorā€˜s pancakes is pretty lame.

Well thereā€™s a rumour Quest 3 is going to have 110FOV. If the glare is gone then that kills a lot of headsets stone dead.

2 Likes

So despite an underwhelming Meta Connect 2023 so far I have pre-ordered myself a Quest 3 (512 GB).

In fairness it had to be less exciting due to the fact that for the first time we actually knew almost everything about the headset to be released, so the criticism I read in social media is a bit over the top. And being surprised that AI takes center stage even for AR/MR devs is just a sign of not fully appreciating the impact AI is going to make: AR/MR is the future computing/display platform, AI will be the main future technology driving much of the human-digital interaction. So logically you want your devs to start including APIs for AI and thinking about how to shape their products to utilize AI from day one.

What I didnā€˜t see in the Abrash/Boz talk was any demo of headset related tech from their labs, just the reference to the codec avatars. I had hoped for something there, but apparently they do not want to share it. Perhaps because there are competitors in Apple and Pico who are capable enough to pick up on such concepts and drive them in their own R&D to outcompete Meta, so I can see why they are less eager to share such tech progress if itā€˜s still 2-5 years away from appearing in their products.

2 Likes

Wow that Meta connect was bad. Itā€™s just the Zuckerberg show. Itā€™s like heā€™s bored of VR now and want something more exciting to talk about.

The Quest3 looks solid.

3 Likes

Iā€™m holding off till CES2024 because itā€™s going to be good.

1 Like

I pre-ordered a Quest 3 from a uk retailer, used a discount code and got 10% off. Really looking to getting my hands on it. Ordered the prescription lens inserts on the Meta site too, Ā£74, ouch!

1 Like
4 Likes
1 Like

Hmmm, these donā€™t seem to be offered for Germany. And the other usual suspects, like VR Optiker, VR Wave etc. donā€™t accept orders yet either. Well, nevermind, itā€™s still two weeks until my Quest 3 arrives and I will survive a couple of days without the prescription lenses.

3 Likes

I am most excited to try our the somnium VR 1 in Prag at somnium Connect this year :fire::fire::fire:

5 Likes